KP and Partridge out

Advertisement
KP has high school age kids and it's not fair to keep moving them. He would love this job otherwise. How about Kenny Holmes? If he is ok for Butch, that says something to me.

Holmes is an interesting name. Logged many years in the NFL, has been climbing the coaching ladder. I believe he has a couple of Masters degrees so it tells me he is a smart dude who works hard....has coached and played in both the 3-4 and 4-3..
...even at the small San Diego U program that he coached for one season, it was under Dale Lindsay, who was a long-time NFL DC....players and coaches at Idaho raved on his coaching, including a couple of his players who were getting looks by NFL teams...One can certainly argue he hasn't worked at a big time program yet, but he may be a good one if one drills down and looks at what he has done with what he had to work with...bottom line, if he can coach technique, have his players play hard and connect with recruits, then he is good enough for me.

Advertisement
I like the idea of Kenny Holmes over the likes of Fabris and others. I think Brad Lawing would be a good hire. Brings a resume, long career, and relationships in the state that won’t be found at a decent price (if Patrick and Partridge aren’t options)

A true vet that we don’t have on our defense right now. Holmes might be a good one but our defensive staff is laughable with inexperienced guys right now. Need an influx of someone who’s been there.

Of the canes names that are mentioned, I think only KP and Holmes, are ones who have paid enough college dues to not be summarily eliminated. Unless I’ve missed someone.

Of the canes names that are mentioned, I think only KP and Holmes, are ones who have paid enough college dues to not be summarily eliminated. Unless I’ve missed someone.

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ron_burton_838710.html

Burton coached entire DL for 4 years then switched to just DTs last year, #2 rush defense last year and consistently top rush D in football. MSU runs what is essentially the classic Miami 4-3 Defense (MSU D is more Miami than the defense the actual Miami team runs!) Dude has long track record of success and coaches a Miami system. I don't know anything about his recruiting acumen, but other than the question mark at recruiting I think he's a strong match.

Advertisement
Holmes is an interesting name. Logged many years in the NFL, has been climbing the coaching ladder. I believe he has a couple of Masters degrees so it tells me he is a smart dude who works hard....has coached and played in both the 3-4 and 4-3..
...even at the small San Diego U program that he coached for one season, it was under Dale Lindsay, who was a long-time NFL DC....players and coaches at Idaho raved on his coaching, including a couple of his players who were getting looks by NFL teams...One can certainly argue he hasn't worked at a big time program yet, but he may be a good one if one drills down and looks at what he has done with what he had to work with...bottom line, if he can coach technique, have his players play hard and connect with recruits, then he is good enough for me.

Booch Davis was a renowned DL coach in his day, so I’m sure Holmes learned a lot from him too.

I like the idea of Kenny Holmes over the likes of Fabris and others. I think Brad Lawing would be a good hire. Brings a resume, long career, and relationships in the state that won’t be found at a decent price (if Patrick and Partridge aren’t options)

A true vet that we don’t have on our defense right now. Holmes might be a good one but our defensive staff is laughable with inexperienced guys right now. Need an influx of someone who’s been there.
How hard is it to learn DL coaching after playing in the nfl for as long as Holmes did and coaching under solid veterans like has over the years?

Advertisement
http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ron_burton_838710.html

Burton coached entire DL for 4 years then switched to just DTs last year, #2 rush defense last year and consistently top rush D in football. MSU runs what is essentially the classic Miami 4-3 Defense (MSU D is more Miami than the defense the actual Miami team runs!) Dude has long track record of success and coaches a Miami system. I don't know anything about his recruiting acumen, but other than the question mark at recruiting I think he's a strong match.

I’m not sure you read my post closely enough. I was talking about the canes names that have been brought up. Burton is not a cane, he’s a Tar Heel.

Y
I’m not sure you read my post closely enough. I was talking about the canes names that have been brought up. Burton is not a cane, he’s a Tar Heel.

Yeah I misunderstood. I thought you meant of the names that have been floated for the Canes, not former Canes players (that would be an oddly specific and very, very tiny group of possible candidates). Are you saying you only want a DL coach who is a former Cane?

in reality its gunna be like David Turner or something. Think he was DL coach at Mississippi st both times under Manny Diaz. Also coached DL for Bama, Kentucky and Texas A&M between stops to Miss St since 2006.

judging by his picture he doesn't look like a great hire, idk.

Advertisement
Any connection to Rick or any other member of our staff or any connection to this area at all?

Are we now limiting candidates to only coaches with ties to Rick/staff? Is that the track record for how Rick picks coaches? I hope not because if he isn't willing to hire the best candidate regardless of whether he's coached with them or not, then I think that reflects limited thinking: "Coach A has an outstanding track record of success and excellent referrals from supervisors and co-workers but I don't personally know him, Coach B is not nearly as accomplished but I remember he grills a mean hot dog at team picnics so I'll hire him instead."

Booch Davis was a renowned DL coach in his day, so I’m sure Holmes learned a lot from him too.

Yep....also learned a thing or two about recruiting under Butch these last 2 recruiting cycles....they apparently recruited DLine pretty well for 2018...I wonder how much of a role Holmes played there..anyone?

Are we now limiting candidates to only coaches with ties to Rick/staff? Is that the track record for how Rick picks coaches? I hope not because if he isn't willing to hire the best candidate regardless of whether he's coached with them or not, then I think that reflects limited thinking: "Coach A has an outstanding track record of success and excellent referrals from supervisors and co-workers but I don't personally know him, Coach B is not nearly as accomplished but I remember he grills a mean hot dog at team picnics so I'll hire him instead."
That’s how almost every coach works. They hire guys they have a connection with.

Why’d your guy get demoted to coaching only DTs if he’s such a slam dunk? And crediting a DT coach for the run D stats like you’ve been doing isn’t really persuasive. DC and the defensive minded HC get credit for that.

Advertisement
Back