KP and Partridge out

Which JC guys has Davis beat us out for? Asking for a friend.

Well while we are gettin backup scrubs from Illinois...Butch bustin a$$ and got two guys from JC. We got Nesta which is great, but where's the DT's bro?
It's like 2010 all over again.

Last edited:
Advertisement
That’s how almost every coach works. They hire guys they have a connection with.

Why’d your guy get demoted to coaching only DTs if he’s such a slam dunk? And crediting a DT coach for the run D stats like you’ve been doing isn’t really persuasive. DC and the defensive minded HC get credit for that.

Ain't my guy, chief. I was looking for best DT coach candidates so I started by looking at top 15 rush defenses in country. You might think it's a poor metric, but I think rush D gives you a general sense of how physical a D line is. Then I narrowed the list down to major P5 programs. No small schools because we don't need a project or unproven guy. Then I looked at who runs a similar system to ours. A DT coach who has dominated with a 3-4 might not be a good fit in our system. Then I looked for coaches who might reasonably be available (we aren't stealing Clemson's DT coach even though they run a Miami 4-3.) When I filtered it down, Burton seemed to be the candidate who best fit all the criteria.

As for why he got "demoted" (assuming he was demoted even though his line was was the in the Big 10), maybe he asked for less responsibility. Maybe he likes recruiting DTs a lot and wanted to focus his efforts on that. Doesn't look like performance was the big issue. I don't know the guy so I can't answer why he is only coaching DTs now, but seems like a good question to ask when interviewing him for the job.

Last edited:
Y

Yeah I misunderstood. I thought you meant of the names that have been floated for the Canes, not former Canes players (that would be an oddly specific and very, very tiny group of possible candidates). Are you saying you only want a DL coach who is a former Cane?

No. That’s not what I’m saying at all. People keep bringing up canes like Warren Sapp, I’m just pointing out the ones that have actual experience doing the actual job that is required, which is generally what you look for in a candidate.

I want the best possible candidate. I’ve said this numerous times. The best combination of teacher, motivator, innovator, coach, recruiter, that meshes well with the staff and players and is a team player. That will take time and it could be a name nobody’s even mentioned. There are probably dozens of guys out there that fit the bill coaching at a P5 or even G5 school right now.

That’s over 100 D-line coaches in college alone. Not all of them are good. But there’s around probably at least a dozen or or two that statistically would be very good.

That’s how almost every coach works. They hire guys they have a connection with.

Why’d your guy get demoted to coaching only DTs if he’s such a slam dunk? And crediting a DT coach for the run D stats like you’ve been doing isn’t really persuasive. DC and the defensive minded HC get credit for that.

That’s generally true.

Saban is an exception, but he’s such an outlier he’s not a good comparator.

Also, when Rick assembled his staff for Miami, his sweet spot for familiarity was on the offensive side. It seems he’s more than willing to go for the strange on the defensive side of the ball

Well why we are gettin backup scrubs from Illinois...Butch bustin a$$ and got two guys from JC. We got Nesta which is great, but where's the DT's bro?
It's like 2010 all over again.

Still not sure what guys he's gotten that we had any interest in as you proclaimed, based on your post you think fiu's DT's are better than Miamis...yeah, ok then.

Advertisement
Still not sure what guys he's gotten that we had any interest in as you proclaimed, based on your post you think fiu's DT's are better than Miamis...yeah, ok then.

Re-read my comment sir....thank you have a great day. We made a push for several JC DT's as I recall, two guys that went to Louisville and two other guys as well. NONE of them chose Miami. But, if you re-read what I types, I never said we were in direct competition with Butch for those particular two 4 star recruits he nabbed. But, **** maybe we should've poached them away.

Last edited:
You can minimize all you want...facts are we lost two DT's to the draft and one to graduation. We need DT's in a major way. Also, if you're gonna act as if the two JC DT's Butch got are talentless hacks, then at least have the stones to admit he (Butch) developed DT's and coached DT's with the greatest coach of my time (Jimmy Johnson). WE NEED DT's DIP$HYT. Go look at the depth chart.
See that's the problem with people today, you don't think before you open your mouth and make yourself look stupid.
Still not answering my question, are fiu's DT's better than Miami's it's just a yes or no, should I make little boxes for you that you can put a check mark in?

See that's the problem with people today, you don't think before you open your mouth and make yourself look stupid.
Still not answering my question, are fiu's DT's better than Miami's it's just a yes or no, should I make little boxes for you that you can put a check mark in?

I will answer you're pitiful little question. Talent wise maybe not. They have better numbers than us. We play LSU first and we are paper thin in the interior line as well as DE. LSU is a rough team with big bodies everywhere, we cannot get injured this season. #FACTS. We lose any of those guys for the season and you will be seeing the backup from Illinois faster than you can blink an eye. Oh yeah, who is gonna teach him Miami technique?? Oh ok gotcha.

I will answer you're pitiful little question. Talent wise maybe not. They have better numbers than us. We play LSU first and we are paper thin in the interior line as well as DE. LSU is a rough team with big bodies everywhere, we cannot get injured this season. #FACTS. We lose any of those guys for the season and you will be seeing the backup from Illinois faster than you can blink an eye. Oh yeah, who is gonna teach him Miami technique?? Oh ok gotcha.

You contradict yourself in this response.

Who cares if they have better numbers if the talent isn't better. Using the same logic, the Illinois DT is a number, not a talent....just like the FIU DTs. Bethel, Willis, Ford, Nesta and Miller are not just numbers. Miller has size most freshmen don't and Nesta is a beast. Plus, the Illinois kid may not be a world-beater in terms of career play or stats, but he is a redshirt senior so he has experience and a career's worth of time in the weight room....something even JUCO kids don't have. So if that's insurance as a 3rd stringer, it's not a bad thing.

As for FIU's DTs, most are 2 and 3 star recruits....others were unranked. These 2 JUCO kids they just signed are both 4-star kids but 1 was kicked out of school, so most programs backed off, and the other specifically said he chose FIU bc they offered his brother......so again, most schools backed off.

We know the Dline depth and recruiting has been bad, but acting like FIU's team ha a better situation just bc they have more bodies is laughable.

Advertisement

It's good man, we agree to disagree.

You contradict yourself in this response.

Who cares if they have better numbers if the talent isn't better. Using the same logic, the Illinois DT is a number, not a talent....just like the FIU DTs. Bethel, Willis, Ford, Nesta and Miller are not just numbers. Miller has size most freshmen don't and Nesta is a beast. Plus, the Illinois kid may not be a world-beater in terms of career play or stats, but he is a redshirt senior so he has experience and a career's worth of time in the weight room....something even JUCO kids don't have. So if that's insurance as a 3rd stringer, it's not a bad thing.

As for FIU's DTs, most are 2 and 3 star recruits....others were unranked. These 2 JUCO kids they just signed are both 4-star kids but 1 was kicked out of school, so most programs backed off, and the other specifically said he chose FIU bc they offered his brother......so again, most schools backed off.

We know the Dline depth and recruiting has been bad, but acting like FIU's team ha a better situation just bc they have more bodies is laughable.

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit I see. I never said that FIU's a better situation. I am saying that we should have poached those two juco DT's to have on our roster. Total ineptitude on UM's staff to not get those guys. We will be playing LSU, FSU, VT, GT (Cut Blocks), and UNC. We will be hurting come the middle of the season against a FSU just watch. This is football, guys get nicked up all the time.

Advertisement
Back