Kosi missed a wide open Brevin.

Rpo is down % wise this year. Post snap rpo really non existant as well. I honestly think that is part of the problem.

Agree with this 100%. We seem to run read/zone rather than RPO which is mind bogglingly dumb. RPO would help our QBs/OL a tremendous amount.

Advertisement
Agree with this 100%. We seem to run read/zone rather than RPO which is mind bogglingly dumb. RPO would help our QBs/OL a tremendous amount.
This is why i said richt is not doing anything to help the offense with playcalling . Not talking about the ga tech game necessarily but the previous 3 games before that the swing pass out to the flats was always open yet we rarely ran it vs those teams. Even malik made a living off of those plays last year(the drive that tied the ga tech game in 2017 comes to mind). We aren’t running it much this year and it’s open... It’s mind Boggling

How many times have you seen our QBs miss a wide open Brevin? I feel like I see this and hear this way too often.

This is why i said richt is not doing anything to help the offense with playcalling . Not talking about the ga tech game necessarily but the previous 3 games before that the swing pass out to the flats was always open yet we rarely ran it vs those teams. Even malik made a living off of those plays last year(the drive that tied the ga tech game in 2017 comes to mind). We aren’t running it much this year and it’s open... It’s mind Boggling

I think Richt has definitely handcuffed an already limited offense with some questionable play calling for sure. Everyone knew Rosier wasn't a good QB last year but Richt did him a lot of favors. They would run a stick/bubble combo at least 10 times a game and it would give Rosier an easy pass against almost every type of coverage. That's often why you'd see them run like 4 or 5 bubbles in a row against teams playing off in coverage. Yeah, they're not game changing plays but an easy pass for a limited QB that gets you 5 or 6 yards at a time is a win/win.

Personally, I think Richt would get a little too pass happy at times last season and when you throw incomplete on first down, it sets you up for a lot of third and long type situations. I believe he's tried to over-correct that issue by forcing the run too often and then relying on some type of vertical throw if the runs get stuffed. It's funny because their third down percentage has actually gone way up this season despite the scoring (against p5 teams) going way down. It's almost like Richt was so desperate to solve the third down issues, that he completely ignored the other facets of the offense. It's a delicate balance, you don't want to rely too much on an early down pass with a poor QB but you don't want to be so desperate to set up a third and short that you just blindly run your guy into a pile on first and second down.

I'm going to defend the play action on 3rd and 8. We've proven time and time again that we're the one team in the country that's dumb enough to actually run on 3rd and 8. Not even Ga Tech runs it on 3rd and 8.

Advertisement
We're not a good team and don't deserve to have won any of the last four games but we've been hit with some wacky luck lately.

Willis offside vs GT
Dallas fumble vs GT
Perry fumble vs GT
Thomas fumble vs GT
Odenigbo penalty vs UVA
Baxa onside kick vs UVA
Baxa missed FG vs Duke
Cager OPI vs Duke
BC INT that bounced off 8 players
BC no-call on Langham in endzone on 4th down

I think Richt has definitely handcuffed an already limited offense with some questionable play calling for sure. Everyone knew Rosier wasn't a good QB last year but Richt did him a lot of favors. They would run a stick/bubble combo at least 10 times a game and it would give Rosier an easy pass against almost every type of coverage. That's often why you'd see them run like 4 or 5 bubbles in a row against teams playing off in coverage. Yeah, they're not game changing plays but an easy pass for a limited QB that gets you 5 or 6 yards at a time is a win/win.

Personally, I think Richt would get a little too pass happy at times last season and when you throw incomplete on first down, it sets you up for a lot of third and long type situations. I believe he's tried to over-correct that issue by forcing the run too often and then relying on some type of vertical throw if the runs get stuffed. It's funny because their third down percentage has actually gone way up this season despite the scoring (against p5 teams) going way down. It's almost like Richt was so desperate to solve the third down issues, that he completely ignored the other facets of the offense. It's a delicate balance, you don't want to rely too much on an early down pass with a poor QB but you don't want to be so desperate to set up a third and short that you just blindly run your guy into a pile on first and second down.
Well said and completely agree

We're not a good team and don't deserve to have won any of the last four games but we've been hit with some wacky luck lately.

Willis offside vs GT
Dallas fumble vs GT
Perry fumble vs GT
Thomas fumble vs GT
Odenigbo penalty vs UVA
Baxa onside kick vs UVA
Baxa missed FG vs Duke
Cager OPI vs Duke
BC INT that bounced off 8 players
BC no-call on Langham in endzone on 4th down

Literally everything that could go wrong has gone so in this 4 game losing streak

Last edited:
Advertisement
But more to that play than you realize. Shouldn't question Perry's ability to read the field off that one play.

In actuality the design and call to have Kosi sell a play fake with his back turned limits your ability to read the field.

This style of extended play action really forced the quarterback to trust his pre snap recollection.

You'll see a cut up of Texas a&m's Kellen Mond sell a play fake to the pistol back "eyes forward." It ends up being a touchdown.

There is a time and place for different types of play fakes. Just understand that Perry's ability to read the field was hindered the second he was asked to hold and sell the play fake back turned in this manner.

How about using this methodology?
Using bunch or stack sets creates short throws that are often right in front of the quarterback. Shallow crosses, whips, flats, and the like are routes that quarterbacks with even the most limited tools can be schooled ( Even Malik Rosier) to see and complete with a high percentage. Hooking type patterns (e.g., a deep curl) oftentimes cause trouble for a below-average quarterback(Again Malik Rosier)because of the distance involved. Now such a pattern is much closer to him, often with a throwing lane that is clearer; you have the same good route concept, and you’ve given your player a better chance to succeed. This is what competent play callers and play designers do...they create favorable situations for their qb's regardless of skillsets and/or abilities....They don't try to make a square peg fit in a circle...these ancient schemes and route combinations worked then but he needs to adjust to HIS current players for the present. Formationally speaking...Miami's offense is easy to defend and attack at the same time...we don't put the opposing defense in any adverse situations....our qbs don't have any flexibility to change plays even when staring at an obvious blitz....Miami needs a complete overhaul offensively starting with hiring professional and experienced position coaches who also can call plays with a purpose or identity....

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back