Kosi missed a wide open Brevin.

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
But more to that play than you realize. Shouldn't question Perry's ability to read the field off that one play.

In actuality the design and call to have Kosi sell a play fake with his back turned limits your ability to read the field.

This style of extended play action really forced the quarterback to trust his pre snap recollection.

You'll see a cut up of Texas a&m's Kellen Mond sell a play fake to the pistol back "eyes forward." It ends up being a touchdown.

There is a time and place for different types of play fakes. Just understand that Perry's ability to read the field was hindered the second he was asked to hold and sell the play fake back turned in this manner.

Advertisement
Lol at the play fake took away his ability. He flat out missed it.
His mind was made up where he was going with the ball before the snap.

Wasn't there a post on this site some time ago about richt's offense having pre-determined reads and him wanting the QBs to go with those?

I doubt that he already had his mind made up. A QB is suppose to go through his progressions but had no time to, and thomas was his first option so he took it.

Advertisement
I'm certainly no expert but I definitely think those are 2 different play calls in that ours was designed to be 100% play action and the A&M is an RPO. Mond just shifts hes body after the snap while keeping his eyes down field ready to pull on the read for a pass. N'kosi's play design was to completely sell a run fake with no RPO design to it. Could be wrong but that's how those 2 plays look.

That's the point. He did MISS it. The play fake made it a PRE DETERMINED throw. Off of pre snap recollection the one on one outside is the RIGHT read.

He missed the safety drop down post snap....While his back is turned. From experience your world is dark when your back is turned to the play. You have time to swing your head look up and throw.

Kosi had less than .8 seconds when his head turned to when he threw the ball. He had pressure at his feet. That's why the ball was high.

Survey the field longer? It's a sack

Advertisement
That's the point. He did MISS it. The play fake made it a PRE DETERMINED throw. Off of pre snap recollection the one on one outside is the RIGHT read.

He missed the safety drop down post snap....While his back is turned. From experience your world is dark when your back is turned to the play. You have time to swing your head look up and throw.

Kosi had less than .8 seconds when his head turned to when he threw the ball. He had pressure at his feet. That's why the ball was high.

Survey the field longer? It's a sack

Ok. That's what I kind of figured that while he "missed" Brevin it was the play design that inevitably caused the miss because it handcuffed his read potential. Thanks.

I'm certainly no expert but I definitely think those are 2 different play calls in that ours was designed to be 100% play action and the A&M is an RPO. Mond just shifts hes body after the snap while keeping his eyes down field ready to pull on the read for a pass. N'kosi's play design was to completely sell a run fake with no RPO design to it. Could be wrong but that's how those 2 plays look.

Also the point I made from the perch. 3rd and 8. Pistol. That style of play action in that situation? I personally didn't like.

The illustration wasn't to display the rpo or pa difference. Just the play action style difference.

Imo kosi doing that same pa with his eyes forward to survey the field, doesn't miss brevin.

Richt turned that play into a pre snap read.

Thats a big time miss that helps take this offense to the next level...

HIt more open passes like that a game and we start cranking up some points and more W's

If perry wants to be a 1st round pick, make 30mill a year, have different IG hoes sucking him off every day of the week he needs to not being missing those reads

Richt needs to throw the pistol away all together, seems like the only formation we run and it is causing many pre snap penalties. Teams are keying off on whatever we are trying to do too

Advertisement
Also the point I made from the perch. 3rd and 8. Pistol. That style of play action in that situation? I personally didn't like.

The illustration wasn't to display the rpo or pa difference. Just the play action style difference.

Imo kosi doing that same pa with his eyes forward to survey the field, doesn't miss brevin.

Richt turned that play into a pre snap read.

Got ya. Makes sense now. Thanks for the explanation.

We currently do not have an elite qb on our roster. During the past 15 years, Kaaya was the best pure passer. Not elite but a good college qb. His deficiency was that he had legs of stone. What you see now in Perry and Williams will not elevate our overall team success.

Advertisement
We currently do not have an elite qb on our roster. During the past 15 years, Kaaya was the best pure passer. Not elite but a good college qb. His deficiency was that he had legs of stone. What you see now in Perry and Williams will not elevate our overall team success.

What will elevate both is an oc. One who won't on one drive alone call the same exact play on third down THREE times, all verticals and the same 3rd and short x go slot out EVERY SINGLE WEEK.

He has zero diversification. He's 5-8. Won't hide any more. Waited 3 years to fully comment. Richt is not an oc capable of bringing miami to the next level

It could also be a function of location of play. Mond's play was near the goal line and therefore really didn't need a 5 step drop. It NEEDED to be a quick fake HO/RPO and then pass into the EZ.

Perry, OTOH, is being asked to do a bigger drop and can't depend on the RB coming to him like Mond did. Instead, PErry has to see where the RB is positioned to fake it. Could Perry have just blindly backpeddled and give a token PA while surveying the field? I suppose so but I don't think it's as cut and dried as you make it out to be. You're comparing apples and orange plays. Would like to hear your thoughts on that.

Jordan came out of his skin he was so upset after that play. Real kick to the nuts watching that unfold from the stands.

It's a tough situation because as Roman mentioned, when your back is turned to the play for an extended period, you have to trust your pre snap visuals. Compound that with a line that can't protect well and an inexperienced QB and this is the result you're going to get from time to time. With the time it takes to execute the play fake, he doesn't have time to cycle through reads, he just goes to the pre determined one.

Also, people need to understand that in a lot of these spread/air raid offenses, (that everybody wants to run) most of the throws are predetermined by the pre snap read. If you line up in a a certain formation and see a certain coverage from the defense, you throw to receiver (X). These air raid guys aren't going through multiple progressions when they drop back. It's a one or two read play 90% of the time.

Advertisement
Back