Kool Aid Can Get You Drunk

Rellyrell

Heisman Winner
Premium
This board has been lit. We got long time posters asking to be perma band, family throwing jabs and knives at one another over game day play, mods arguing w one another, Pete Ariz getting hella down votes after the FSU game...I mean the ish feels like my family reunion down in Mississippi when the moon shine is introduced! Lol.

I've been reading a grip of post, and you know what, we're all right. MR has been calling crappy games, and has cost us two wins. Kaaya has been stinking it up, and has regressed. The refs have jobbed us two games in a row. And, yes, we are overreacting off of 6 games. It's called drinking the Kool Aid...Kool Aid that Vegas warned us about. Kool Aid that MR warned us about. Kool Aid that E$ECPN warned us about. 90% of us drunk the Kool Aid way too fast and too early and now we're drunk from it w a nasty hang over.

Make no mistake about it, this is still Golden's team. All of the missed tackles, bad angles, paranoia in the pocket, bad O line play, lack of quality depth, and a back down mentality has become a culture on this team for years. Yes, a breath of Fresh Air entered into the building w/ MR and a new staff, but old habits die hard. I've been on football teams where, on paper, we were the most talented team in the city, but we were losers for 10+ years, and by the time I became a Sr, the culture had slowly changed w the new coach, but it took that Fr class who became Jrs two years later to go to back to back CIF (California) high school title games. Our class of 16 is the fundamental block for Miami, and when they become Jrs, we'll see a different culture here.

But we all knew that...we just got pumped by seeing that #10 by our name. We got ecstatic seeing us go up 13 on FSU...but before the season, many predicted 3 losses on the season (FSU, UNC or VT and ND). We didn't expect to win the Coastal; the goal was 10 wins and a bowl game victory and carry that momentum into recruiting season and finish w a top 10 '17 class. But we couldn't stay away from the Kool Aid perpetuated by the mirage of victories early on in the season. This team is a work in progress; just b/c we have 32 ESPN 300 players on the roster doesn't mean ish, b/c for the last 14 years, we've been one of the more talented teams in the Coastal. Yet, we've had a culture lacking in confidence or discipline for those 14 years, too.

Listen, after I evaluated everything, after my hang over cleared up, I realized I was going too hard at Richt. Yeah, he needs to make a staff adjustment this off season or have a come to Jesus moment in revitalizing his play calling skills, but regardless, I think it will take one more year to truly shake off what Coker, Shannon, and Golden (especially Golden) have implemented in 14 years here. Hopefully we can step back from the ledge, get back to reality, and continue to root for this team. The "Football Gods" didn't play a trick on us, they didn't make us drink the Kool Aid, but sometimes when you mistake want or hope for reality, you find yourself in a world of pain.

It's still all about this []_[]

Last edited:
Advertisement
I agree with most of what you are saying.

However.

In my book there will never be a legitimate excuse (barring some Terry Porter type schit) for a corch to lose to to a team that has a less talented rooster.

UNC has a much less talented rooster across the board than we do.

There is no excuse for that loss. None.

Great stuff Rell... I agree with everything you wrote.

I think the huge let down came from the fact the Losses were so close & easily winnable games that we absolutely shouldn't have loss.

After 6 ****** years straight we had FSU exactly where we wanted'em, I mean perfect ****** setup... At home, Red Frosh QB, Defense riddled with injuries, their WR's not being anything too special & we started off the game almost scripted exactly how a victory should go...

Then, just like that we ****** lost, smh... After waiting all these years to finally beat them, they just snatched it away from us @ Home.

Then, we get a chance to fight back and show we're not the same ol' Canes & get some revenge on UNC who completely disrespected us last year, and the same ****** scenario happened... We had every chance to win despite playing a **** poor game & still figured out a way to lose.

We only scored ONE TD against one of the worst Defenses in the ACC... Smfh, it was a pathetic performance.

What hurts so much is the fact that we haven't been blown out & we haven't given up more than 21 points all year...
Which means, the Defense has been good enough to keep us in every single game we play, but the offense has been total sh*t.

And what's so f*cked up about that is, the Offense was supposed to the strength of this team & the Defense was supposed to be a big question mark...

Ultimately, I think most of us are just frustrated at having to wait so **** long for legitimate success...
It seems like we have to literally move Mountains & makes sacrifices to the Gods just to get the most simplest sh*t done for this program.

I hate that I'm always sounding like a homer on here, because I'm really positive person & I just love my **** Canes, so yeah I believed we were finally going to be a good team this season... All I wanted was a Coastal title & top 10 Crootin' class, but god **** man, that sh*t was way too much to ask for, lol.

It's going to take 2-3 recruiting classes before we can really ever compete in this conference & hopefully, Richt pulls his head out of the Bible for 5 seconds and wake up to realize he needs to hire a **** OC.
I want Richt to win here as much as anyone, but he cannot call plays for 4 years here, he just can't do it, it's not going to work & we really shouldn't have to deal with this issue for any longer than this 1st season.

Last edited:

However.

In my book there will never be a legitimate excuse (barring some Terry Porter type schit) for a corch to lose to to a team that has a less talented rooster.

It's college football. That stuff is going to happen. That's what makes it great.

However, when it starts to become a trend, that's when the line is drawn.

Advertisement

However.

UNC is a very talented team.. Tons of upper class men on O and established play-callers on both sides of the ball that have been there for a few years. This is not the big east anymore. The ACC has legit teams and several coaches getting paid top dollar. Playcalling is suspect for sure. This team needs new life at QB and some mosters on the o-line.

I think what's killing many of us is that we had low expectations for the defense and just figured that the offense would be fine. When the defense turned out so much better and the offense tanked, everyone is thinking WTF??? It highlighted what coaching can do to help or hurt.

Mark has to make changes. Changes that show he is NOT Golden and stuck on his crap that is not working. Changes that show the winning is more important than an assistant coach who should not have had the job to start with.

However.

Much less talent?? Their QB is a legit 1st rounder and will be one day, their RB is better and more physical than anything we have, their OL is more talented, their WRs (Switzer) are really solid and reliable. Fedora built this team over the years to be playing at a pretty high level right now. (especially offensively)

Having more talent means nothing these days. Sometimes a brand new coach needs time to implement his style and system. Fedora didn't make UNC competitive in year 1 this is the result of his long term building process there.

Richt deserves 3 years. If we aren't winning he coastal by 2018/2019 then I'll worry.

/for the record, what offense do you Butch slurpers think he'd be running right now?

Advertisement
I came here thinking this was a post about Kuligowski. I don't want my money back but can I get a store credit?

However.

Other than njoku and Herndon who do we have on our offense that is clearly more talented than unc has on there offense?

Star system doesn't count

I appreciate the spirit behind your post, Relly, but Rick has stunk the joint up as an OC. If he had merely been average the last two games we are 6-0. So I'm not so sure this is a Kool-Aid issue as much as it is an honest assessment of what's happened so far.

I never pay attention to the 2 or 3 extra loud voices from new screen names screaming for the HC to be fired after 6 games because, well, they're just looking for attention by making outrageous statements. The criticism of Rick as an OC has been accurate though.

Richt better wake up or he's just going to bury himself. Each bad performance undercuts his recruiting. Winning goes hand in hand with getting the best talent to The U. Two losses directly attributable to the HC does nothing to lure top talent. If he's too stubborn to change, we'll have another Fraulden situation.

Advertisement
we're doing what most everyone predicted this year, so I don't get the revisionist history, 8-4 to 10-2 was the prevalent predictions here

I appreciate the spirit behind your post, Relly, but Rick has stunk the joint up as an OC. If he had merely been average the last two games we are 6-0. So I'm not so sure this is a Kool-Aid issue as much as it is an honest assessment of what's happened so far.

I never pay attention to the 2 or 3 extra loud voices from new screen names screaming for the HC to be fired after 6 games because, well, they're just looking for attention by making outrageous statements. The criticism of Rick as an OC has been accurate though.
[MENTION=4841]The Franchise[/MENTION]: oh I agree, that's y I said we're all right. I'm not absolving him from his horrible game day mgmt, at all...at the same time, I'm not ready to throw the towel on him....yet, not after 6 games. Cats calling for banners to flown, and asking for him to be fired...I mean, even I was feeling that way, but I had to remember what team was he getting. But absolutely, this offense has regressed since he's taken over against P5 teams. But I do feel part of that has to do w the lack of concentration this team has had and been instilled with. He still needs to pull Kaaya to the side and coach him up or sit him down.

Advertisement
Yeah, he needs to make a staff adjustment this off season or have a come to Jesus moment in revitalizing his play calling skills, but regardless, I think it will take one more year to truly shake off what Coker, Shannon, and Golden (especially Golden) have implemented in 14 years here. Hopefully we can step back from the ledge, get back to reality, and continue to root for this team. The "Football Gods" didn't play a trick on us, they didn't make us drink the Kool Aid, but sometimes when you mistake want or hope for reality, you find yourself in a world of pain.

exactly this.

nick saban went 7-6 with a loss to louisiana-monroe in year 1 because he inherited a dumpster fire.

*obviously, richt isn't saban,* but expecting 11-plus wins and an acc title immediately after a changeover is ridiculous. change takes time, especially changes on the mental side of the game. we've been playing scared for a decade.

Last edited:
Richts ceiling isn't that high, and we're around his floor right now.

He's playing to par. This is what I expect for the next ten years with slightly better but not great results as he brings in his own players.

I've become the fan I loathe, just appreciating slightly better than mediocre because that's our new reality. Richt isn't getting fired.

Mark has to make changes. Changes that show he is NOT Golden and stuck on his crap that is not working. Changes that show the winning is more important than an assistant coach who should not have had the job to start with.

Who should we start with? Rumph? Oh wait, he is actually pretty good. Please let us know who needs to get canned after 6 games.

However.

Those damned roosters.
dVDwdcgzgVM9W.gif

Advertisement
Back