KNIGHTON

Advertisement
Dude from Winter Haven broke his record around 93-94.
As I said..."At that time"...Was also a 100 meter Blazer....Hes the Best All Around HS Athlete in Orlando's History....His HS coach Bill Gierke is a friend of mine, and said Horace is far and away the Best Athlete he's ever coached, and he coached a Ton of Great players (Horace...Kenard Lang...Leon Searcy..etc...)

Advertisement
It’ll be better this year because it literally can’t be worse. And I’m not trying to be funny. There is no way to have a worse line than they did in 2018, they had 3 linemen ranked in the bottom 10 or 15 in the entire country. Out of something like 550+ OL. They’ll be better. Problem is, it’s nearly impossible to make a leap like they’ll need to make to be good. I know he’s generally awful, but Bud Elliott made some good points recently on a podcast. Basically said they need to try to just be bad to below average. They can’t be average or good or great. You can’t make that leap in 1 year. But try to go from the worst P5 line by a mile, to maybe bottom third. And they might do that. It’s feasible. But a bottom third line is still ******, and they’re still going to struggle a lot because of it.
Well their best OL (former 5star I believe) that they were counting on big time this season did just transfer to Baga if all places...

FSU 247 says he’s visiting there this weekend with his pops, uncle and cousin. They don’t state whether it will be an OV or not tho.

Advertisement
People have to stop living in the past when it comes to academics and UM. The world has changed. The rules have changed.

While Prop 48 is still a rule, it's not the same rule that it once was. It used to mean that a kid would have to sit out his first year, but the APR rules have changed things significantly. For instance, I tutored Horace Copeland in his first year at UM when he could not play. He went to Evans High School in Orlando which, at the time, was the next school district over from mine (Lake Brantley). Sadly, I was in a very good Seminole County school and he was in a very bad Orange County school. In order to be ready to take his business calculus class, he had to take a remedial/preparatory math class, because Evans hadn't prepared him well. In the old days, that Prop 48 year allowed a kid to remediate the crappy high school education he may have had, but now a year like that will fail to qualify as APR, since none of those classes count towards the major.

The reality these days is a lot more complex. A kid can retake a bunch of classes that he failed in freshman and sophomore years, and while the GPA can be increased, there is nothing that substitutes for particular coursework. So if a kid is not ready to take business calc (which is a 100-level course at UM, and it is also a prerequisite for other courses), then the kid is not ready to make academic progress. And we can sit here and claim that F$U can "take" those kids, but the truth is that F$U has the lowest APR rate, and if Willie doesn't do something to change that, F$U will fall into the penalty area of the APR rules.

This stuff is not easy. The transfer portal is complicating matters too, as we lose all control over APR when a kid leaves UM, we may HOPE he will graduate, but we have no leverage to make it happen.

This is no longer about UM's "admission standards" from a GPA/SAT standpoint. What is actually going on is that ALL Division I-A schools have to be worried about APR (OK, maybe not Marshall). F$U may have been able to erase a few risky guys with the Myron Rolles of the world, but that isn't quite working out the way it once did.

Times have changed. Schools have to evaluate total transcripts now, not just GPA/SAT numbers.
Well, I have almost no idea what you're talking about. I'm not familiar with current academic rules and requirements. I'm obviously not living in the past ("passed" for those following strict CiS usage rules) because I said what used to happen. Obviously things have changed because we don't seem to be losing so many kids to grades/test scores.

I don't know the reason, nor do I care to get into the weeds of the current academic rules and requirements.

I remember Horace was a prop 48, as was Tony Rice at ND.

JJ said he didn't like prop 48s because they became more trouble than they were worth. You had unhappy kids hanging around who couldn't play, I think they were prohibited from practicing. I just remember that there were a lot of kids we couldn't take because of academics or test scores. I don't notice nearly as much of that now.

Sometimes I think we steered some kids to prep school or JUCO. How much of a role ("roll" for CiS) we played in setting those arrangements up, I don't know. Sometimes we expect to get those guys back. I think one guy we sent to prep who reneged on what I had believed was our understanding was Lawrence Wright who went to UF after prep school in Pennsylvania, I believe.

So I don't know the details of academics and recruiting now, but I followed it in the '80's and it was frustrating all the guys we lost especially in South Florida.

Advertisement
People have to stop living in the past when it comes to academics and UM. The world has changed. The rules have changed.

While Prop 48 is still a rule, it's not the same rule that it once was. It used to mean that a kid would have to sit out his first year, but the APR rules have changed things significantly. For instance, I tutored Horace Copeland in his first year at UM when he could not play. He went to Evans High School in Orlando which, at the time, was the next school district over from mine (Lake Brantley). Sadly, I was in a very good Seminole County school and he was in a very bad Orange County school. In order to be ready to take his business calculus class, he had to take a remedial/preparatory math class, because Evans hadn't prepared him well. In the old days, that Prop 48 year allowed a kid to remediate the crappy high school education he may have had, but now a year like that will fail to qualify as APR, since none of those classes count towards the major.

The reality these days is a lot more complex. A kid can retake a bunch of classes that he failed in freshman and sophomore years, and while the GPA can be increased, there is nothing that substitutes for particular coursework. So if a kid is not ready to take business calc (which is a 100-level course at UM, and it is also a prerequisite for other courses), then the kid is not ready to make academic progress. And we can sit here and claim that F$U can "take" those kids, but the truth is that F$U has the lowest APR rate, and if Willie doesn't do something to change that, F$U will fall into the penalty area of the APR rules.

This stuff is not easy. The transfer portal is complicating matters too, as we lose all control over APR when a kid leaves UM, we may HOPE he will graduate, but we have no leverage to make it happen.

This is no longer about UM's "admission standards" from a GPA/SAT standpoint. What is actually going on is that ALL Division I-A schools have to be worried about APR (OK, maybe not Marshall). F$U may have been able to erase a few risky guys with the Myron Rolles of the world, but that isn't quite working out the way it once did.

Times have changed. Schools have to evaluate total transcripts now, not just GPA/SAT numbers.
Interestingly, two other starters at UM in the early '90's were from the same lousy Maynard Evans High School: Kerlin Blaise and Kenard Lang. I guess they were stronger students coming out of HS. Doesn't mean their HS wasn't sub-par.

I think we might have had a few others from Evans but can't remember right now.

In 91 they did...He also Broke the State High Jump and Long Jump Record (at that time)
I remember coming in Horace Copeland was an unbelievable athlete plus had a very good 40. I was surprised he didn't become more dominant at UM. He was good but I thought he might become All-World good.

The best track athlete playing football before Copeland might have been Lawrence Thompson who was a 7-foot high jumper in the early '80's. I don't remember him having any impact on the football team. In the mid-80's JJ brought in Robert Thomas a sprinter from Washington DC who quit football and stayed on as a track guy, I think. Thomas was pretty fast and his big HS rival from the DC area was Eric Metcalf (son of Terry) who Texas stole from us in what was apparently a bags situation. That was around '85 or so. Metcalf, like Thomas, was a legitimate track-football guy.

Last edited:
Advertisement
FSU 247 says he’s visiting there this weekend with his pops, uncle and cousin. They don’t state whether it will be an OV or not tho.

Looks to be a Nole. Has visited them a couple times. I’m sure they are selling their whack *** depth chart and him being like Dalvin Cook next year.

Looks to be a Nole. Has visited them a couple times. I’m sure they are selling their whack *** depth chart and him being like Dalvin Cook next year.

It's all fun-and-games when you tell a kid that the running back depth chart is "wide open".

Maybe someday running back recruits will figure out what "the offensive line depth chart is wide open" means.

Advertisement
Back