KNIGHTON

Advertisement
You must not have been around for the Stevenson and Campbell recruitments last year. Stevenson literally blew us off to go to the grand opening of a locker room!!! But sure as **** you still had guys on here saying that it was no big deal. Talk about denial.
I’ve been around this board even before this username, ever since people on here were getting their hopes up about Juedy coming here. Bruh you can cherry pick any example of a kid not coming to paradise or OVing and end up not signing with us, news flash this program has been unstable since 2004. I can do the same and list elite kids that did come to paradise and ultimately didn’t sign with us. Juedy, Hasselwood, Smith, Dent, Leatherwood. Etc, but you know what has been 90% accurate, expert Crystal balls. And so far we’re 50/50 with FSU for Knighton

Any local kid still considering FSU over us must not have internet or a tv.
No problem for Willie....stayin' in touch wif recruits using highest technology......

Advertisement
Advertisement
We used to lose a lot to academics....believe me, a lot. Test scores and/or grades. A lot of our targets were Prop 48's.

People have to stop living in the past when it comes to academics and UM. The world has changed. The rules have changed.

While Prop 48 is still a rule, it's not the same rule that it once was. It used to mean that a kid would have to sit out his first year, but the APR rules have changed things significantly. For instance, I tutored Horace Copeland in his first year at UM when he could not play. He went to Evans High School in Orlando which, at the time, was the next school district over from mine (Lake Brantley). Sadly, I was in a very good Seminole County school and he was in a very bad Orange County school. In order to be ready to take his business calculus class, he had to take a remedial/preparatory math class, because Evans hadn't prepared him well. In the old days, that Prop 48 year allowed a kid to remediate the crappy high school education he may have had, but now a year like that will fail to qualify as APR, since none of those classes count towards the major.

The reality these days is a lot more complex. A kid can retake a bunch of classes that he failed in freshman and sophomore years, and while the GPA can be increased, there is nothing that substitutes for particular coursework. So if a kid is not ready to take business calc (which is a 100-level course at UM, and it is also a prerequisite for other courses), then the kid is not ready to make academic progress. And we can sit here and claim that F$U can "take" those kids, but the truth is that F$U has the lowest APR rate, and if Willie doesn't do something to change that, F$U will fall into the penalty area of the APR rules.

This stuff is not easy. The transfer portal is complicating matters too, as we lose all control over APR when a kid leaves UM, we may HOPE he will graduate, but we have no leverage to make it happen.

This is no longer about UM's "admission standards" from a GPA/SAT standpoint. What is actually going on is that ALL Division I-A schools have to be worried about APR (OK, maybe not Marshall). F$U may have been able to erase a few risky guys with the Myron Rolles of the world, but that isn't quite working out the way it once did.

Times have changed. Schools have to evaluate total transcripts now, not just GPA/SAT numbers.

Advertisement
People have to stop living in the past when it comes to academics and UM. The world has changed. The rules have changed.

While Prop 48 is still a rule, it's not the same rule that it once was. It used to mean that a kid would have to sit out his first year, but the APR rules have changed things significantly. For instance, I tutored Horace Copeland in his first year at UM when he could not play. He went to Evans High School in Orlando which, at the time, was the next school district over from mine (Lake Brantley). Sadly, I was in a very good Seminole County school and he was in a very bad Orange County school. In order to be ready to take his business calculus class, he had to take a remedial/preparatory math class, because Evans hadn't prepared him well. In the old days, that Prop 48 year allowed a kid to remediate the crappy high school education he may have had, but now a year like that will fail to qualify as APR, since none of those classes count towards the major.

The reality these days is a lot more complex. A kid can retake a bunch of classes that he failed in freshman and sophomore years, and while the GPA can be increased, there is nothing that substitutes for particular coursework. So if a kid is not ready to take business calc (which is a 100-level course at UM, and it is also a prerequisite for other courses), then the kid is not ready to make academic progress. And we can sit here and claim that F$U can "take" those kids, but the truth is that F$U has the lowest APR rate, and if Willie doesn't do something to change that, F$U will fall into the penalty area of the APR rules.

This stuff is not easy. The transfer portal is complicating matters too, as we lose all control over APR when a kid leaves UM, we may HOPE he will graduate, but we have no leverage to make it happen.

This is no longer about UM's "admission standards" from a GPA/SAT standpoint. What is actually going on is that ALL Division I-A schools have to be worried about APR (OK, maybe not Marshall). F$U may have been able to erase a few risky guys with the Myron Rolles of the world, but that isn't quite working out the way it once did.

Times have changed. Schools have to evaluate total transcripts now, not just GPA/SAT numbers.

APR has never been a problem at Marshall......ever. If you knew any better, APR scores is priority #1 when it comes to Mike Hamrick and the entire Athletic department.

People give Marshall **** for taking in kids who likely wouldnt qualify but I know for a fact that Doc Holliday and Mike Hamrick looks at each and every case individually. Alot of times its either a low test score or not even Passing Core classes. They will never take in a kid that has a history of low GPAs. And because of Kevin Grooms, Angelo Jean-Louis, and Stew Butler, character is now a factor if we are going to take them in. But when you get the chance to bring in 4* Alabama Commit Jaquan Yulee or 4* Former North Carolina HS defensive player of the year Darius Hodge you take that chance. People bang on Marshall but I see nothing wrong with what we do.

Florida State is the worst in FBS ball and one of the worst in all of Division 1 Football(FBS and FCS) coming in at #236 of a total of 253 teams.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back