KNIGHTON

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. He got in trouble at North Carolina BECAUSE HE HAD A TEAM THAT WAS LOADED WITH TALENT. He had a team full of amazing players who were being courted by agents down in Miami Beach, and a couple of them were stupid enough to tweet about it. THAT is why North Carolina had to suspend 20% of its team to open the season.

Butch went 2-for-2 "catching lightning in a bottle" at Power 5 schools. That's a pretty god**** good record by any definition. The "game" has not passed him by, even if certain ADs won't give him an interview.

Let's not reinvent history here as that isn't the complete story. There was also academic fraud involved under his watch. A dirty hire, everyone knew he was dirty, was implicated as well. I'm not one to pin everything on a coach like some do, so what he knew or didn't know will always be a question mark. Having said that, the Bring Botch Back brigade was emphatic that he's been cleared of knowing of any wrongdoing.

If he was still a relevant talent evaluator in that he was still currently modern or ahead of the game, he would've had a legitimate offer somewhere. The game has changed from an analytical perspective and visibility one. He hasn't had a serious look anywhere, although the BBB proclaim otherwise.

He gets credit for the past and that's where his reputation will stay. No shame in that, but let's not make it more than that. I can separate the two, most cannot including yourself. He doesn't get a pass for hiring a dirty coach, when everyone was knew he was dirty. Obviously, you have a dirty coach on your staff, the expectations that you should land a few guys you shouldn't (Marvin Austin) increases. That's why he was hired, that or you believe somehow Butch was in a vacuum as the only person in college football who didn't know Blake was dirty.

As for all of that talent at UNC, who and what was it relative to the Draft. He didn't outperform the position and his top picks were almost to a "T" implicated in some wrongdoing. It wasn't even similar to what he did here, but the blind support for the man makes many try and make a connection.

Advertisement
I get what your saying, but I just took it as "Manny does this part of recruiting well, but fails in other aspects of building relations". That is just my understanding. Could be wrong though.
It could be! I'm not gonna call the man a liar bc we truly dont know. I do hope the staff continues to get better in recruiting. I by no means believe our staff is perfect either

This thread is just beautiful.

Butch Davis, Coach Macho and Manny's recruiting abilities are all swirling in a hysterical perfect storm.

I'll put in my two cents:

1) Butch went 8-5 for three straight years at UNC. At some point you are what your record says you are, suspensions or not.

2) Coach Macho tried to pawn off the whining of one recruit and his daddy as gospel, which is of course total bull**** and completely irresponsible.

3) We were 7-6 last year, had multiple brutal losses and haven't been relevant in 15 years or more. Yet Manny, a first year coach, won the portal war and has us in position for a Top 5-10 class in both quality and quantity. Show me someone, anyone doing better with just two or even one of those strikes against them.

It isn't just one mother......it is virtually every kid who commits including their parents.

As if DFB is the school to do this with to begin with. The day DFB consistently pushes kids to Miami I will stroke out.

Just for fun, name me 10 kids in the last 20 years that had the talent to be here if we're to be taken as an elite school?

I'll wait.

Jeudy picked Bama over us. So should a die hard Canes fan at the time. Love for your school shouldn't make you make dumb decisions that'll directly impact your entire life. Our own fans were calling for the coaches head, think they would've sent their kid here when Bama and every school of note was calling? Fugg out of here.

Knighton, depth chart of he ends up at FSU. Could be a depth chart thing and the belief in himself that he can do it anywhere. Shaq's own father said the lure of playing early along with a bond with Richt was the deciding factor? Is Knighton afraid of competition? Shaq? Bet we're in it if we show out on the field.

Advertisement
What HS teams have ever had 100 kids on their team? Lol
It was long time ago. I dont know now. But before 1997 to 2000. We had 100 at Olympic heights hight school, I know friends at boca high and Wellington had the same. So it's different now. I apologize. But you get my point. I hope. There are alot of kids per school

No biggir.. if I were him I’d be scared of losing touches to a superior back in Chaney anyways..

This thread is just beautiful.

Butch Davis, Coach Macho and Manny's recruiting abilities are all swirling in a hysterical perfect storm.

I'll put in my two cents:

1) Butch went 8-5 for three straight years at UNC. At some point you are what your record says you are, suspensions or not.

2) Coach Macho tried to pawn off the whining of one recruit and his daddy as gospel, which is of course total bull**** and completely irresponsible.

3) We were 7-6 last year, had multiple brutal losses and haven't been relevant in 15 years or more. Yet Manny, a first year coach, won the portal war and has us in position for a Top 5-10 class in both quality and quantity. Show me someone, anyone doing better with just two or even one of those strikes against them.
Just to be clear, our average rating is lower than all teams in the top 15, but we have more commitments than all but 1 team in the top 15. That’s why you see us ranked where we are. When the numbers even out, we will likely end up between 10-15 unless we land a few big fish.

Just to be clear, our average rating is lower than all teams in the top 15, but we have more commitments than all but 1 team in the top 15. That’s why you see us ranked where we are. When the numbers even out, we will likely end up between 10-15 unless we land a few big fish.

Definitely not a recruting guy but if you look, it seems that 80-90% of the top 250 players out ther are already committed. Don't see a lot of other schools "finishing strong" down the road enough for there to be a monumental swing in our overall rankings. It seems to me a ton of programs out there, including those with a slightly better average per player will likely be filling out their classes with similar guys to what we already have.

I guess my greater point is hitting or missing a 4 or 5 Star like Washington or the kid who decommitted from S. Carolina may move us up or down a few spots but either way Manny as it stands today has a **** fine first class brewing, especially considering the situation he's in.

Advertisement
Definitely not a recruting guy but if you look, it seems that 80-90% of the top 250 players out ther are already committed. Don't see a lot of other schools "finishing strong" down the road enough for there to be a monumental swing in our overall rankings. It seems to me a ton of programs out there, including those with a slightly better average per player will likely be filling out their classes with similar guys to what we already have.

I guess my greater point is hitting or missing a 4 or 5 Star like Washington or the kid who decommitted from S. Carolina may move us up or down a few spots but either way Manny as it stands today has a **** fine first class brewing, especially considering the situation he's in.

That's not his point. In fact, you're making his point. All they have to do is sign similar type guys and when the quantities even out, several teams could jump us, then we'd most likely be in the 10-15 range.

But then again, I'm not a star guy, I'm an evaluation guy. I'm fine if we get the right ones.

That's not his point. In fact, you're making his point. All they have to do is sign similar type guys and when the quantities even out, several teams could jump us, then we'd most likely be in the 10-15 range.

But then again, I'm not a star guy, I'm an evaluation guy. I'm fine if we get the right ones.

I thought his point was that our average rating per player is lower than other Top 15 ranked teams. My math tells me with the scarce number of highly rated guys out there, if they fill out their class by adding uncommitted players like we already have (high 3 star to low 4 stars) it would push down their average to about where ours is now.

Maybe that's totally wrong, but it doesn't really matter. I'm with you, I believe a lot more in what Manny and Co. think of kids like Austin Cave and Flagg than any recruiting dork who's never coached a day in his life.

It was long time ago. I dont know now. But before 1997 to 2000. We had 100 at Olympic heights hight school, I know friends at boca high and Wellington had the same. So it's different now. I apologize. But you get my point. I hope. There are alot of kids per school

You sure you weren't in the band. Kidding of course.

Advertisement

You are misunderstanding the math. Based on average ranking, we’re behind all those teams, and when their classes reach our size, we will end up ranked behind them. Their average may tremd down a bit, but our relative lack of 4-5 * kids will hold ours down further.

I am not personally concerned about the rankings, but if you use them as your defense of manny’s recruiting, at least understand how they work. We will end up between 10-15 unless we land a few big surprises.

Hopefully the "sitdown" occurs. No matter what the true story is, there's some bad history between Deerfield and UM.

Advertisement
LOL at South Florida HS corches and their absurd egos. They hold UM coaches to some Impossible standards then their groupie eyes pop out of their heads when a liar like Urb shows up and lies to their players.

They welcome these scumbags back to campus with open arms because they’re star fckers and that’s what they’re teaching their players. Spawning one groupie grifter after another.

But “just win!” Keep parroting that stupid ****, you dopey rubes. FSU is the biggest dumpster fire going, but they open those bags and give these leech corches a few extra hundred bucks to “coach” their camps to make it all look legit.

Advertisement
Back