Kirby Smart's Contract Extention

Santana Sosa

Freshman
I'm not a big fan of giving big extentions after big seasons...butan this was smart on his behalf. Buyout is probably insane.

Advertisement
I'm not a big fan of giving big extentions after big seasons...butan this was smart on his behalf. Buyout is probably insane.

It's one thing for Miami to have given a Larry Coker a big extension as he was always a stop-gap option and substitute teacher. Same for when UM extended Jim Morris late in his career as some sort of gold watch final gesture as he's won big years prior.

In the case of Georgia and Kirby Smart, this is a no-brainer. Just brought the Dawgs their first title in four decades, on the heels of some good play in years prior.

It's a game of musical coaching chairs and there aren't a slew of great options. Program like Georgia need to hold on to Smart, Clemson needed to keep Dabo, aTm needs Fisher, Buckeyes need Day, etc. (Saban at Bama; a no-brainer and lifetime deal until he wants to step down.) It's also why USC backed up the Brinks truck for Riley, prying him out of Oklahoma.

Further proof that Mario was one of few great names out there who was idea for Miami and outside of him there was no Plan B (hence all the "Diaz to return" if Cristobal said 'no'—the Canes looking for a new guy by 2023 after regrouping in 2022.)

Once a guy proves he can build a champion—and that he has more in the tank—you hang on to him. (Side note, Coker didn't build a champion—he inherited one and then ****ed it away as he was in over his head.)

Advertisement
"I'll have the Lloyd Christmas. Thanks."
jim-carrey-dumb-and-dumber.gif

Advertisement
I'm not going to criticize the move because we essentially just did it too. That said, it might be kind of interesting to revisit some of these longterm deals in like 5 years since they're all essentially based upon pre-NIL resumes and accomplishments.

IF NIL does prove to somewhat "level" the playing field between the cheaters of the pre-NIL era and several "sleeping giant" programs then maybe some of these guys don't end up looking super elite as they're being paid.

I'm not going to criticize the move because we essentially just did it too. That said, it might be kind of interesting to revisit some of these longterm deals in like 5 years since they're all essentially based upon pre-NIL resumes and accomplishments.

IF NIL does prove to somewhat "level" the playing field between the cheaters of the pre-NIL era and several "sleeping giant" programs then maybe some of these guys don't end up looking super elite as they're being paid.
I think any coaching deal beyond 5 years is insane. Having said that there are exceptions. If you’re at Bama, OSU, UGA, and you’ve won, you aren’t gonna start losing out of nowhere. Especially not these veteran bag men. And I’d even put us in the category of it being ok, simply bc we weren’t doing better than Mario. It also took that contract to prove Miami cared about winning, and has lead to much more being spent. Plus he’s never gonna leave, unless he’s fired or he retires.

Advertisement
Back