King & The Deep Ball

I didn’t get banned but got plenty of the dumb and dislike tags. Bama is going to load the box and shut down our run game while keeping everything in front of them. They are definitely not afraid of King throwing the deep ball. What coach would be?
Correct.

No D was afraid of Miami's deep ball beacuse the OL consistently failed to allow a legitimate attempt or rhythym.

Advertisement
What I’m not going to do is judge King off of last season when 2 of ur 3 top receivers were inept & incompetent & the other top target was often M.I.A due to injuries.

If Rambo returns to 2019 form & if Harley can become more consistent, with both Key & X manning the slot, we can really see what King can do. (And before I get jumped on, Harley had 3 spectacular games out of 11. 428 of his 799 yrds came in a 3 out of 4 game stretch. [142 ypg & 4 TDs in 3 games] The other 8 games went for 371 yrds [46.7 ypg & 3 TDs])

What I’m not going to do is judge King off of last season when 2 of ur 3 top receivers were inept & incompetent & the other top target was often M.I.A due to injuries.

If Rambo returns to 2019 form & if Harley can become more consistent, with both Key & X manning the slot, we can really see what King can do. (And before I get jumped on, Harley had 3 spectacular games out of 11. 428 of his 799 yrds came in a 3 out of 4 game stretch. [142 ypg & 4 TDs in 3 games] The other 8 games went for 371 yrds [46.7 ypg & 3 TDs])
To say that would simply be ignoring the problem. There were SEVERAL occasions last season where we had receivers get behind the defense running wide open and King with no pressure sailed It 15 yards over their heads. It wouldn’t have mattered who was at receiver.

Last edited:
Advertisement
King has been an excellent deep ball thrower in his career.

That’s the pass that takes the most practice to hit consistently though. You also need receivers to track it.

Mike Wallace made every Dolphins QB look like a pathetic deep passer because he couldn’t track the **** ball.

He’s not Sam Howell as a deep passer, but he’s good at it.

To say that would simply be ignoring the problem. There were SEVERAL occasions last season where we had receivers get behind the defense running wide open and King with no pressure sailed It 15 yards over there heads. It wouldn’t have mattered who was at receiver.

I agree w/ u.

Advertisement
If the offense is in rhythm and going fast in a combination of spread / Auburn O and Texas Tech O we do not need many deep balls to win.
Just a lot of good RAC yards on crossing, mesh routes, curls, passes to the RBs, drag routes, etc.
You have to have the threat of going over the top or just a deep post. You can’t be throwing 5 yard passes all night long against good teams. Otherwise TT might actually win something that matters.

To say that would simply be ignoring the problem. There were SEVERAL occasions last season where we had receivers get behind the defense running wide open and King with no pressure sailed It 15 yards over there heads. It wouldn’t have mattered who was at receiver.

that happened. No doubt. But just as frequently if not more.

You had the ****** WRs.

You had the fact that he got 2 steps into his drop and had 4 guys on him and he was doing good to keep the play alive.

Then you had flags because that same OL would drag someone down from behind after king magically got out of pressure.

kings overthrows were present. Could be improved for sure. Did not change our season. It’s that simple. The other 3 things did.

You have to have the threat of going over the top or just a deep post. You can’t be throwing 5 yard passes all night long against good teams. Otherwise TT might actually win something that matters.
I agree that a threat needs to be there but if the stats do not show us connecting all the time it could be because the intermediate game is clicking and / or the running game is clicking which to me is more important to keep track of statistically.

Advertisement
Pope choked as always.
Curious, how did you think Miami's OL performed vs rest of ACC?
That’s a difficult one and here’s why. A lot of the onus gets put onto the OL but there is only so much they can do when the defense loads the box against them. You also have the multiple situations where King has a clean pocket but decides to move outside of his protection and for the life of me I can’t understand why unless it is to be able to see better. I’m just hoping for better cohesion this season with the O as a unit. If we get that, then we are good.

Edit: I have no idea how Pope got into this post but technically it fits so leaving it lol.

Advertisement
Don't forget a lot of windy games. My God.
That’s funny. But fr. The things I listed affects timing on deep balls. That’s just fact. It wasn’t a issue for king at Houston. It’s simple/lazy to look at those stats Op posted and claim he can’t stretch the field..but then you actually look back at 2018 at HOU and it tells another story..plus I forgot to add the Adidas football issue..and yeah, wind

That has been the strategy forever for teams playing little QB's. I feel our OL will be better, but we won't know until the season starts.

Cane lifer here… this brother speaking the reality…

If King was 6’4” he would win the Heisman.

But he’s short and will got up against NFL sized BAMA DL’s and LBs who won’t let him see the field and will swallow him whole when he tries to scramble.

Bama is going to control the game beginning to end.

The only unknown is if we get embarrassed or not by the final score.

Reality is painful sometimes.

Cane lifer here… this brother speaking the reality…

If King was 6’4” he would win the Heisman.

But he’s short and will got up against NFL sized BAMA DL’s and LBs who won’t let him see the field and will swallow him whole when he tries to scramble.

Bama is going to control the game beginning to end.

The only unknown is if we get embarrassed or not by the final score.

Reality is painful sometimes.

Dude there’s virtually no difference in height between Bama’s front 7 and what Pitt puts out there

The difference is talent not size.

1628736942546.jpeg

Advertisement
Back