King & The Deep Ball

scrantoncane

Sophomore
1628709024160.png

This is the breakdown from PFF. I recall posting often last year how King was sailing passes into the 2nd row. This chart basically confirms it.

PFF doesn't break down this chart by game, but I would be curious to see how much of this came after Clemson.

Obviously, this isn't good enough (esp vs. Bama, who has the talent at CB to go one-on-one on the outside). Another spring missed doesn't help this, but at this point, maybe he is who he is.

Discuss...

EDIT: PFF does break it down game by game. I will put that together when I get a minute and report back with the breakdowns.

Last edited:
Advertisement
View attachment 151727
This is the breakdown from PFF. I recall posting often last year how King was siling passes into the 2nd row. This chart basically confirms it.

PFF doesn't break down this chart by game, but I would be curious to see how much of this came after Clemson.

Obviously, this isn't good enough (esp vs. Bama, who has the talent at CB to go one-on-one on the outside). Another spring missed doesn't help this, but at this point, maybe he is who he is.

Discuss...
OL failures (pass and run) have huge impact on above chart.

EVERYTHING on O starts with OL.

Imagine his data if he were throwing behind a competent (not even elite) OL????

THEN further account for a median WR/RB (passes) grouping wrt drops (was Miami above/below mean??).

King would have significantly improved stats top to bottom.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Wait can you explain the grading system? 2017 at a 92, 2018 94 and 2020 82, those don't seem that awful to me. Like I was happy as **** to get a B in school.

Also does the grading account for drops? I agree he can be more consistent but WR did not help him much, he had no spring or fall to get into a rhythm with a completely new team, and didnt play football for essentially all of 2019. I could have guessed a slight decrease in accuracy with those variables in play.

View attachment 151727
This is the breakdown from PFF. I recall posting often last year how King was sailing passes into the 2nd row. This chart basically confirms it.

Discuss...

EDIT: PFF does break it down game by game. I will put that together when I get a minute and report back with the breakdowns.
King isn't that good. I know I'll get a ton of negative reactions. He's limited due to height and I'm not sure he can beat teams deep consistently. He won't be running this year because of the ACL. I think we lose 2-3 games again. I don't trust our OC to make adjustments. We will see in a month. I hope he and the OC prove me wrong because they both didn't look good in two big games and we struggled versus pitt and osu

Last edited:
Advertisement
View attachment 151727

Discuss...

I got sentenced to CIS Prison for over a month for stating how baga would play King. I assume since my ban came following that post. I agree and I said that he sailed deep passes. I'm a Garcia or TVD camp.

His deep ball was excellent in 2018.

Last year there were a lot of throws where his upper and lower body were disconnected and he armed underthrown balls with poor trajectory. This was an issue in the Clemson game especially. It's a red flag that he worked with Quincy Avery cause Avery's clients all stink except Watson, and Lance and Fields ditched him to have John Beck fix their mechanics.

It also doesn't help when your outside WRs are Wiggins and Pope and they refuse to "own the boundary" by stacking their man and maintaining space near the sideline. Even bad deep balls should still often result in PI and certainly shouldn't get picked if the WR works to earn position.

King isn't that good. I know but he can't beat teams deep. He won't be running this year because of the ACL. I think we lose 3 games again. I don't trust Lashlee to make adjustments. We will see in a month. I hope he proves me wrong.
I swear you're Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn's heckler from Major League 2.

Advertisement
King was known as a very good deep ball thrower at Houston and the numbers back that. So it's not that he doesn't know how to throw it accurately because you don't just become an inaccurate passer out of the blue. So what else could have caused the drop-off? You could say that he played generally tougher opponents last year in the ACC. That's true even if the gap between most ACC teams and the good AAC teams isn't very big. You could also say that while the competition was a step up, the talent around him, specifically receiver and OL, wasn't really an upgrade over his teammates at Houston. Our most consistent pass blocking lineman last year just happened to play with him at Houston previously. Most likely, it's a combination of things including playing with new receivers and learning a new system along with whatever shortages in practice time they had due to covid. He did seem to get more accurate as the season went on so I'd be curious to see a game by game breakdown.

Thanks for sharing the numbers @scrantoncane. I know a lot of these advanced stats are behind pay walls so I appreciate you sharing.

King was known as a very good deep ball thrower at Houston and the numbers back that. So it's not that he doesn't know how to throw it accurately because you don't just become an inaccurate passer out of the blue. So what else could have caused the drop-off? You could say that he played generally tougher opponents last year in the ACC. That's true even if the gap between most ACC teams and the good AAC teams isn't very big. You could also say that while the competition was a step up, the talent around him, specifically receiver and OL, wasn't really an upgrade over his teammates at Houston. Our most consistent pass blocking lineman last year just happened to play with him at Houston previously. Most likely, it's a combination of things including playing with new receivers and learning a new system along with whatever shortages in practice time they had due to covid. He did seem to get more accurate as the season went on so I'd be curious to see a game by game breakdown.

Thanks for sharing the numbers @scrantoncane. I know a lot of these advanced stats are behind pay walls so I appreciate you sharing.
Yup.

His top 2 WR at UH were Marquez Stevenson and Keith Corbin. Stevenson was lethal with the deep ball. Corbin could also go deep.

Our top two WR last year were Harley and Pope. Two guys who are truly slots WRs and aren't really effective with the deep ball. Both tiny guys.

I expect the deep ball to massively improve this year with K. Smith and Rambo starting.

Advertisement
Back