King & The Deep Ball

What I’m not going to do is judge King off of last season when 2 of ur 3 top receivers were inept & incompetent & the other top target was often M.I.A due to injuries.

If Rambo returns to 2019 form & if Harley can become more consistent, with both Key & X manning the slot, we can really see what King can do. (And before I get jumped on, Harley had 3 spectacular games out of 11. 428 of his 799 yrds came in a 3 out of 4 game stretch. [142 ypg & 4 TDs in 3 games] The other 8 games went for 371 yrds [46.7 ypg & 3 TDs])
Think Harley will be in the slot and Keyshawn on the outside.

Advertisement
I agree that a threat needs to be there but if the stats do not show us connecting all the time it could be because the intermediate game is clicking and / or the running game is clicking which to me is more important to keep track of statistically.
the inconsistency in the intermediate game drives me insane!!! But that’s a lot of drops last year it felt like. Prior years it just felt like we didn’t bother trying.

View attachment 151727
This is the breakdown from PFF. I recall posting often last year how King was sailing passes into the 2nd row. This chart basically confirms it.

PFF doesn't break down this chart by game, but I would be curious to see how much of this came after Clemson.

Obviously, this isn't good enough (esp vs. Bama, who has the talent at CB to go one-on-one on the outside). Another spring missed doesn't help this, but at this point, maybe he is who he is.

Discuss...

EDIT: PFF does break it down game by game. I will put that together when I get a minute and report back with the breakdowns.
Let’s call a spade a spade. The guy isn’t that good, and he can’t throw the ball. Great leader, fantastic kid, role model and great with his feet, but the guy can’t throw the ball.

we aren’t beating Alabama, UNC of any good team with him under center because they’ll just force him to beat them with his arm and he can’t.

Last edited:
I didn’t get banned but got plenty of the dumb and dislike tags. Bama is going to load the box and shut down our run game while keeping everything in front of them. They are definitely not afraid of King throwing the deep ball. What coach would be?
This is exactly what Miami is preparing for and it's why we will be successful against Bama.

King has been an excellent deep ball thrower in his career.

That’s the pass that takes the most practice to hit consistently though. You also need receivers to track it.

Mike Wallace made every Dolphins QB look like a pathetic deep passer because he couldn’t track the **** ball.

He’s not Sam Howell as a deep passer, but he’s good at it.
Lance, you've watched as much film as anyone. I am a little surprised that you think so highly of King's deep ball.

Sure, the WRs did not help him much. But when you look at the film, there are LOTS of throws where King is just way off. Underthrown balls, uncatchable balls...

This guy breaks down a few of them from the Clemson game:

I am not trying to diminish his value to the team or his overall ability at the QB position; I am specifically focusing on the deep ball. I admittedly haven't watched many Houston games (only highlights). But I saw missed throws with my own eyes last year.

I take it you are expecting the deep ball stats to improve this year?

Advertisement
I swear you're Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn's heckler from Major League 2.
Nope I just don't fall hype man..I trade stocks buy the rumor and sell the news. You got all that hopium up in you. Good I'm a realist and I trust my eyes. Let's talk mid season after the unc game and see how you feel.

Out struggling offense didn't start with King. Back in 2019 when we got beat by Louisiana Tech, I noticed even during that season that FIU was crowding us at the line. I was thinking wtf are they doing that close and we aren't going over the top.

Who were our WR's? Wiggins, Pope, Harley and KJ Orbourne, who was a transfer and immediately became our best wr. He had the "drops" on occasion as well.

In short our wr's have been horrible.

King is taller than Doug Flutie no? You don't have to hit on all your deep throws.. but hit the right ones and it can change the outcome of the game.

Flutie had a 1 in a 1000 lucky Hail Mary that marked his career and was a great mascot in the NFL...

Look who he went to play for-- thus the beginning of the end of his short career... :rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg:

Doug_Flutie,_Donald_Trump,_Generals_football_press_conference.jpg

But Flutie didn't win an NC....

And at Miami-- that's all we care about-- because if you don't win the NC -- you might as well be a pile of dog **** on the sidewalk on a hot day on South Beach...

amiright?

Flutie had a 1 in a 1000 lucky Hail Mary that marked his career and was a great mascot in the NFL...

Look who he went to play for-- thus the beginning of the end of his short career... :rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg:

View attachment 151822

But Flutie didn't win an NC....

And at Miami-- that's all we care about-- because if you don't win the NC -- you might as well be a pile of dog **** on the sidewalk on a hot day on South Beach...

amiright?
Flutie slayed the giant with one throw and became a legend. If King can do that for me first game of this season I'll be glad to speak his name around campfires for years to come.
As far as the 'win a NC every year or you're dog ****,' sentiment, I'm not with that. I can't mope that hard. I get ****ed and face melt, but I'm always back the next year hoping for wins.

Advertisement
Lance, you've watched as much film as anyone. I am a little surprised that you think so highly of King's deep ball.

Sure, the WRs did not help him much. But when you look at the film, there are LOTS of throws where King is just way off. Underthrown balls, uncatchable balls...

I am not trying to diminish his value to the team or his overall ability at the QB position; I am specifically focusing on the deep ball. I admittedly haven't watched many Houston games (only highlights). But I saw missed throws with my own eyes last year.

He should as he feels more comfortable in the system also having receivers you can trust helps as well. Redding taking a huge step forward is a god send to us and will make things a lot easier for us

Without reading 4 pages, all I can say is every team we face will try to make King beat them deep by taking away everything possible within 15 yards of the LOS. I like everything King does, except see over linemen and deliver the ball consistently downfield. Lashlee needs to get creative and get King in position to see the field or it's going to be a painful year. King is a warrior, but he needs some help. He can not do it alone. Not in big boy NCAA football.

Advertisement

Yes. I can also agree he sucked versus Clemson. Most players do. They’re #1 in EPA defense since 2014 for a reason.

Notice his numbers while throwing deep in the middle of the field are almost universally better than throwing to the outside. Slot WR/TE production vs outside receiver production.

Yep. That’s all Jordan, Harley, & Mallory right there.

Nope I just don't fall hype man..I trade stocks buy the rumor and sell the news. You got all that hopium up in you. Good I'm a realist and I trust my eyes. Let's talk mid season after the unc game and see how you feel.
Are you allergic to happiness?

Advertisement
his houston highlights made him appear a lot more dynamic than he was last year

let's see how he does this year, but i'm not optimistic

presently he'll be lucky to get drafted I think

King had some inconsistencies. But he was often money, too. I think you need to relook at your numbers after adjusting for the following:

Take away the drops
Take away the poor line play
Add in a real X and a real Z, move Harley to Y/Slot
Add in 1 full year under Lashlee

I think we're underestimating how big a deal King is at QB with the right weapons around him.

Advertisement
Back