Coaching Kinda OT - Dean Pees comments on young coaches

Gi0logy

Freshman
Premium
Football topic but not really Canes related. Thought it was interesting to discuss.

He’s pretty critical on the younger generation of coaches. Says they don’t have an appreciation for the game, can’t connect/communicate with players effectively because they lack experience, and rags on analytics.

He talks about how he had to work his way up to the NFL and didn’t get in until he was 55. The guy went 17-51 as a HC at Kent State and has had an up and down career as a coordinator (he basically retires from a job before they can fire him). I get some of his points but this just sounds like an bitter old man jealous that younger coaches are having better success at a younger age. Thoughts?

See clip below:

Advertisement
I agree with one of the guy's premises. I agree people need to pay their dues and the younger generation (which I would probably be put into) can be unappreciative. I also agree that it is a poeple's game and they the people aspect should not be ignored. I totally agree with him on those points but he conflates that with analytics and analysts where he sounds like the old man shaking his fists at the sky.

Computer, analysts, and analytics should be a tool to help, not a crutch and should not be shunned like he is implying. "How can a computer tell you whether it was raining or whether the wind was blowing?" Dude WTF? Have you never heard of the weather channel? He is basically saying "In my day we had to build the field from scratch in the snow uphill both ways and line it." That's great but what does that have to do with someone helping a headcoach do a breakdown or the analytics saying this team is terrible at defending a screen pass?

If anything, the Belichick's and Saban's of the world who went through what this guy went through but still embrace and take advantage of what we have now should be the model. His whole "back in my day" is the opposite side of the same unappreciative "why am I not a coordinator in the NFL" coin. He's unappreciative of the advancements and technology in the game today.

Last edited:
Football topic but not really Canes related. Thought it was interesting to discuss.

He’s pretty critical on the younger generation of coaches. Says they don’t have an appreciation for the game, can’t connect/communicate with players effectively because they lack experience, and rags on analytics.

He talks about how he had to work his way up to the NFL and didn’t get in until he was 55. The guy went 17-51 as a HC at Kent State and has had an up and down career as a coordinator (he basically retires from a job before they can fire him). I get some of his points but this just sounds like an bitter old man jealous that younger coaches are having better success at a younger age. Thoughts?

See clip below:

This is why the Falcons are a joke franchise.

Their Twitter account is literally promoting pa kettle just days after having been eliminated from the playoffs and on their way to another losing season.

But at least they have a multi-billion dollar nice new stadium that is 2/3rds empty every Sunday.

And some decrepit out of touch geriatric complaining about the ”ways thing used to be”.

Advertisement
Advertisement
If anything, the Belichick's and Saban's of the world who went through what this guy went through but still embrace and take advantage of what we have now should be the model. His whole "back in my day" is the opposite side of the same unappreciative "why am I not a coordinator in the NFL" coin. He's unappreciative of the advancements and technology in the game today.
There's a ton of things you can point to when it comes to the success of Belichick and Saban but no doubt that they're ability to adapt has to be near the top of that list.

Look at Belichick's coaching staff this year...they're all basically under 40 and half are probably in their early 30s. Saban went heavy on surrounding himself with analysts and support staff filled with young coaches.

Advertisement
Make sure you put your pronouns in parentheses after your ZOOM name, pal. In multiple languages if you'd like to virtual signal just a lil harder and be the wokest of them all.

Thanks for the advice. Can you tell me how I can work Latinx in there somewhere?

I want to be a soft cuddly pillow for all the feelings in the world.

Thanks for the advice. Can you tell me how I can work Latinx in there somewhere?

I want to be a soft cuddly pillow for all the feelings in the world.

Only when you want to show off and whitewash a culture in front of everybody do you bust out the LATINX.

(seriously tho, saw John Leguizamo at the Arsht doing his Latin History for Morons bit he was touring on...he used Latinx and I wanted to charge the stage...they got'em.)

Advertisement
lmfao @ having a training on how to work with people younger. You also learn about pronouns in this meeting?
Not yet, but it's a Canadian company, so...

The ironic part is that our subsidiary is 100% remote and we work independently.

Only when you want to show off and whitewash a culture in front of everybody do you bust out the LATINX.

(seriously tho, saw John Leguizamo at the Arsht doing his Latin History for Morons bit he was touring on...he used Latinx and I wanted to charge the stage...they got'em.)

I just found out about Latinx a few months ago. Pretty soon we’re gonna need a dictionary that’s gonna be hundreds of pages of these phrases just so that we can be sure no one is offended. We’re literally going to be speaking a new language. Will they have a categorical name for those of us that don’t actually give a shlt? That’s where I want to be pigeonholed.

EQUALITY for ALL coaches! Fck that rinse and repeat **** seeing the same coaches get opportunity after opportunity after fckn opportunity! The young coaches have to start somewhere, but it all starts with a deserved and LEGITIMATE opportunity. IMO

Advertisement
Back