Coaching Kinda OT - Dean Pees comments on young coaches

Also interesting that the two best coaches at the college and pro levels, Bill Belichick and Nick Saban, are a couple of old conservative grumps in their 80’s who play old school ball.

Both come from the Bill Parcells tree, who was considered a conservative coach 40 years ago.

Advertisement
I agree with one of the guy's premises. I agree people need to pay their dues and the younger generation (which I would probably be put into) can be unappreciative. I also agree that it is a poeple's game and they the people aspect should not be ignored. I totally agree with him on those points but he conflates that with analytics and analysts where he sounds like the old man shaking his fists at the sky.

Computer, analysts, and analytics should be a tool to help, not a crutch and should not be shunned like he is implying. "How can a computer tell you whether it was raining or whether the wind was blowing?" Dude WTF? Have you never heard of the weather channel? He is basically saying "In my day we had to build the field from scratch in the snow uphill both ways and line it." That's great but what does that have to do with someone helping a headcoach do a breakdown or the analytics saying this team is terrible at defending a screen pass?

If anything, the Belichick's and Saban's of the world who went through what this guy went through but still embrace and take advantage of what we have now should be the model. His whole "back in my day" is the opposite side of the same unappreciative "why am I not a coordinator in the NFL" coin. He's unappreciative of the advancements and technology in the game today.
I didn't read it the same as you and I'm a software engineer.

His point was that some of the young coaches don't know how to coach people and only rely on technology. Me paraphrasing his rant is "don't just rely on technology, learn how to coach people. Technology doesn't teach you XYZ."

Advertisement
Back