Coaching Kinda OT - Dean Pees comments on young coaches

My employer had training about how to work with millenials. My answer was to just have them stay out of the way.

I'm sure every generation looks at the younger ones a certain way and I'm not that much older than millennials but I've had way too many expecting/demanding promotions and when asked why they deserve it, they basically say they show up to work and that's enough.

Advertisement
What he is saying is correct about the entitlement of the younger generation. The only thing he doesn’t mention is the way the game has changed. Younger guys are moving up quicker bc they have new innovative offenses. That wasn’t a thing 20 years ago. But defensively it’s still most of the same with buying your time. I’m actually surprised there aren’t more young offensive guys that switch over to the defensive side to help game plan against these new offenses.

I'm sure every generation looks at the younger ones a certain way and I'm not that much older than millennials but I've had way too many expecting/demanding promotions and when asked why they deserve it, they basically say they show up to work and that's enough.
Not to mention I'm 100% certain the baby boomers and Greates Genertion folks who were in power didn't have to go through training about how to work with Gen Xers. Instead, we were told not to **** off the veterans.

lmfao @ having a training on how to work with people younger. You also learn about pronouns in this meeting?
There are entire programs about this. It's pretty wild, actually. I participated in a few and read Canesinsight the entire time.

Advertisement
This just seems like an old curmudgeonly old man mad at young people. Why the **** do you need to cut grass to move up through the coaching ranks? The developing relationships part is important, but we’re moving into an era where all of these kids grew up on screens — developing relationships is going to look different when a kid has had Instagram since the age of 5.

Football topic but not really Canes related. Thought it was interesting to discuss.

He’s pretty critical on the younger generation of coaches. Says they don’t have an appreciation for the game, can’t connect/communicate with players effectively because they lack experience, and rags on analytics.

He talks about how he had to work his way up to the NFL and didn’t get in until he was 55. The guy went 17-51 as a HC at Kent State and has had an up and down career as a coordinator (he basically retires from a job before they can fire him). I get some of his points but this just sounds like an bitter old man jealous that younger coaches are having better success at a younger age. Thoughts?

See clip below:

Some good points for sure but also some very strong boomer vibes as well.

Did a helluva job as the Ravens DC. Always a strrong unit, always developing lower round draftees.

Don’t get mad at the smart young dudes getting promoted, get mad at the people hiring the failing ones because they’re trying to hit Ctrl + P on someone else’s blueprint to success.

A lot of minor truth bombs veiled by jealousy.

Advertisement
He's half right, half wrong.

He's right in the fact that the younger generation wants instant satisfaction, clout, etc. They don't want to grind for 15 years in hopes of getting their dream job. Kind of a blessing and a curse for the younger generation.

He's wrong when talking about the use of technology and how these young athletes learn today. They learn in much different ways than players 10 years ago. The days of sitting in a dark room, watching your position coach show you film for 60 straight minutes are over. These kids need interaction, breaks, different styles, etc. to stay engaged.

Advertisement
I agree with one of the guy's premises. I agree people need to pay their dues and the younger generation (which I would probably be put into) can be unappreciative. I also agree that it is a poeple's game and they the people aspect should not be ignored. I totally agree with him on those points but he conflates that with analytics and analysts where he sounds like the old man shaking his fists at the sky.

Computer, analysts, and analytics should be a tool to help, not a crutch and should not be shunned like he is implying. "How can a computer tell you whether it was raining or whether the wind was blowing?" Dude WTF? Have you never heard of the weather channel? He is basically saying "In my day we had to build the field from scratch in the snow uphill both ways and line it." That's great but what does that have to do with someone helping a headcoach do a breakdown or the analytics saying this team is terrible at defending a screen pass?

If anything, the Belichick's and Saban's of the world who went through what this guy went through but still embrace and take advantage of what we have now should be the model. His whole "back in my day" is the opposite side of the same unappreciative "why am I not a coordinator in the NFL" coin. He's unappreciative of the advancements and technology in the game today.
Unless you had a different account you’re young if you joined here in 2020

Advertisement
Football topic but not really Canes related. Thought it was interesting to discuss.

He’s pretty critical on the younger generation of coaches. Says they don’t have an appreciation for the game, can’t connect/communicate with players effectively because they lack experience, and rags on analytics.

He talks about how he had to work his way up to the NFL and didn’t get in until he was 55. The guy went 17-51 as a HC at Kent State and has had an up and down career as a coordinator (he basically retires from a job before they can fire him). I get some of his points but this just sounds like an bitter old man jealous that younger coaches are having better success at a younger age. Thoughts?

See clip below:

Coach Pees is a good man. I was an athletic trainer at Kent State when he coached here. He knows a lot about the game and knows how to treat people.
With that said, every generation criticizes the next (rightly or wrongly). That's something that will never change.

I is talk about younger coaches feeling entitled is a generalized statement. I found that younger people definitely felt more entitled as a whole than older employees. However, they are moving up wouldn’t be necessary if an older employee was successful in his position. You don’t replace very successful employees because of their age nor do you promote them because they’re simply younger.

I am a former owner/CEO of a global company now semi retired.

What he is saying is correct about the entitlement of the younger generation. The only thing he doesn’t mention is the way the game has changed. Younger guys are moving up quicker bc they have new innovative offenses. That wasn’t a thing 20 years ago. But defensively it’s still most of the same with buying your time. I’m actually surprised there aren’t more young offensive guys that switch over to the defensive side to help game plan against these new offenses.

Coaches are getting fired at a faster clip than they used to. That means more job openings, and that means more job opportunities for everyone, including young guys.

That’s the reason you see more young coaches getting a shot.

There is no more innovation in football today than there was 20, or even 40 years ago. Football is always evolving but the fundamentals are what they’ve always been.

Advertisement
Back