Kids Now Opting Out Of Playing High School Football?

I think the whole "opting out" thing is bad for the game. Whether its a bowl game, a season, anything. It shows a lack of character, and integrity. The players who do this sort of thing are spoiled babies who have not been taught to honor your commitments that you have made to others. I'm glad this wasn't a thing when I started watching football. You have made a commitment to play for your scholarship, you are part of that team. For 90% of the players on the team the last game of their senior season will be the last organized game of football in their lives - they are not good enough to go to the next level. And for a teammate to decide that game is not worth his effort is slap in the face and shows the maturity level of guys who opt out. You were given a scholarship to play football and all great things that come with it. If the player is good enough to go to the NFL in their junior year so be it. But play every game you are healthy enough to play until the year is up. If I was recruiting players to come into my system I would look around a player who opted out of a game he didn't deem import to him. But that's just me.
If the year was 2010 I'd probably agree with you but knowing what I know now, I'm going to disagree bro. These players are aiming to get drafted as early as possible so they can get as much compensation as possible. If the kid wants to sit out of the Home Depot bowl to avoid injury, I get it. Sadly, outside of a New Year's Six bowl I don't see a reason for potential 1st or 2nd round player to play in a bowl game. If a top draft prospect is playing on a team that's 6 -3 on the year and basically playing for nothing, I get opting out for the remainder of the season. The goal isn't to entertain me and you, it's to change the fortunes of their family. They have to protect their bodies to preserve that opportunity.

If it was your son wouldn't you want what's best for him?

Advertisement
A bag to sit out your senior year of HS?! That doesn't make sense to me bro. By all accounts, he's a good player but by no means is he the 2nd coming of Adrian Peterson. He might not even start or be a significant contributor his freshman year at Texas so why would Texas pay him to sit out?
Why else would he sit out? Lol

U know what usually happens when a RB sits out to “preserve” their body or make a business decision? They usually suck thereafter. I hear what some of ya’ll r trying to rationalize, but I’m young enough to appreciate the athleticism & talents of these new players, and old enough to see how all this catering & “woke/cancel/all inclusive” generation is f’ing w/ their heads.

If anything, The RB position need the reps. LeVeon Bell
Natrone Means
Steven Jackson
Maurice Jones Drew
E ****erson (Colts)
Corey Dillon
Larry Johnson
Maurice Clarette
John Riggins

Man U can list a slew of RBs who sat out either a season, part of a season, or ****, just training camp...tried to come back & either suffered an injury or was never the same player again. Are their exceptions? Of course; I believe E Smith is one of those exceptions (although back in the day, I could’ve rushed for 1500+ behind that OL).

The point is, it’s not a good look & it could backfire. To each it’s own.

Advertisement
If the year was 2010 I'd probably agree with you but knowing what I know now, I'm going to disagree bro. These players are aiming to get drafted as early as possible so they can get as much compensation as possible. If the kid wants to sit out of the Home Depot bowl to avoid injury, I get it. Sadly, outside of a New Year's Six bowl I don't see a reason for potential 1st or 2nd round player to play in a bowl game. If a top draft prospect is playing on a team that's 6 -3 on the year and basically playing for nothing, I get opting out for the remainder of the season. The goal isn't to entertain me and you, it's to change the fortunes of their family. They have to protect their bodies to preserve that opportunity.

If it was your son wouldn't you want what's best for him?

No I teach him to be a man and do what you said we would do. If you make a commitment to play your junior year, that means EVERY GAME your junior year. Kids today have no balls, no honor, and no respect for others. Stuff like "opting out" is a symptom of that.

No I teach him to be a man and do what you said we would do. If you make a commitment to play your junior year, that means EVERY GAME your junior year. Kids today have no balls, no honor, and no respect for others. Stuff like "opting out" is a symptom of that.
I can't even argue with you on this. I can't fault you for wanting your child to stay true to his words but I'm just saying I understand the logic behind opting out. It's selfish in nature and self preservation at its finest, but I get it. I won't fault any kid for securing their future. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Advertisement
Back