Keys to beating Virginia Tech

Advertisement
So 'how' to contain Hooker is the question. Calling all defensive experts. Spying is a possibility, but do we have a LB up to the task? Brooks would seem to be the only one athletic enough to have a chance. What about Frierson? Is it feasible in our scheme to have the Striker spy Hooker?
You can only spy on passing plays.
How do we stop the QB run concepts? That's the question.

I have yet to see Miami's defensive staff make a schematic effort to stop an opponent's star player and I don't expect to see it this Saturday.

Got to stop the run. They are ranked 5th in the country for rushing. Over 275 yards per game.

Advertisement
That’s because you don’t need to do anything special on D when you’re loaded with future HOF’ers all over the field.
You Right GIF by memecandy

You can only spy on passing plays.
How do we stop the QB run concepts? That's the question.

I have yet to see Miami's defensive staff make a schematic effort to stop an opponent's star player and I don't expect to see it this Saturday.
I say come out with a 2 high safety look pre snap and mix up the eyes of Hooker. I really think we need to rotate the will linebacker more into the box. The corner on the short side of the field can soft shoe basically. Our safety or Frierson can be like a robber and cover the middle of the field and keep his eyes on the QB as he can be the secondary fill man on run support

Advertisement
As mentioned - they have eye candy in the form of motion, jet sweeps etc... Hooker is not fast but he does the jump cut in the hole to avoid tackles. Have 53 spy Hooker - Just do one thing and get the QB. I'd like to see our DBs set the edge on sweeps and not get blown up the WRs like they have all season

As mentioned - they have eye candy in the form of motion, jet sweeps etc... Hooker is not fast but he does the jump cut in the hole to avoid tackles. Have 53 spy Hooker - Just do one thing and get the QB. I'd like to see our DBs set the edge on sweeps and not get blown up the WRs like they have all season
53 would have a problem keeping up with anyone, if that's the plan then plan to fail.

We need to come out aggressive on the first drive, no matter what! We give up points on our first drive on defense every game, both to start the game and after halftime. Win the toss, defer and then go in there on defense and play like its the last drive of the game and you need the ball. Getting pushed all over the field to start the game is a tone setter for the other team too, as well as for us. Watching that first TD last week on the throwback to the QB and our guys getting trucked will never leave my memory, no effort the whole drive.

Actually bothering to gameplan on D might help. Learning from the same eye candy mistakes that have plagued us for years might also help

I dislike Baker as a DC as much as anyone here. It would help though to see the players motivated at start of game instead of waiting until the 4th quarter. That has a lot to do with coaches attitude before the game

Advertisement
Critical Key:

Score more points by end of game than VT does.

You are welcome.

😊

Word on street Baker is in the lab cooking up a "blitz from the end zone tunnel".

Mad genius that one is.

Advertisement
Back