Keys to beating Virginia Tech

Canenable

Recruit
Having had the pleasure of seeing so much ACC football this year we have a lot of insights into strengths and weaknesses because of all the head to head matchups with common opponents, for V-tech it seems pretty simple:

1) Stop their QB - Hooker is not the best QB in the country but he can run and throw and makes up half their offense, need to spy him
2) Stop their running game - Herbert is their other half of the offense, focus on stopping the run
3) Hit big plays - Vtech is totally susceptible to the big play, Louisville feasted on the big play with them, vtech won the game in a shootout but Louisville's athletes were all over the field on them
4) Come out ready to play on defense - If I see one more start to a game or a half on defense where we get scored on because we are asleep or running passive D then Baker should be fired on the spot! How about come out right from the beginning and set the tone, who cares if we give up a TD we do that anyway by playing passive, how about just go for the knockout on the first play instead of getting pushed around the entire first drive???
5) Finally, put V-tech on their heels on defense right from the beginning. Our O-line is not that good so to set up the run with the pass is the best approach. We did that at Louisville and FSU, now we seem to have gotten away from it, although the NC State game seemed to be much more aggressive. Let's end running the same play 3 times in a row too, 2 times in a row is fine but, 3, come one Rhett!

Advertisement
VT had a hard time stopping Liberty, and I thought Liberty looked a bit like us on O. We should put up 40 on them. Problem is stopping them enough so they score fewer points. I think they will get some stats, but we will get more points. We will not shut them down, but they won't stop us much at all.

Having had the pleasure of seeing so much ACC football this year we have a lot of insights into strengths and weaknesses because of all the head to head matchups with common opponents, for V-tech it seems pretty simple:

1) Stop their QB - Hooker is not the best QB in the country but he can run and throw and makes up half their offense, need to spy him
2) Stop their running game - Herbert is their other half of the offense, focus on stopping the run
3) Hit big plays - Vtech is totally susceptible to the big play, Louisville feasted on the big play with them, vtech won the game in a shootout but Louisville's athletes were all over the field on them
4) Come out ready to play on defense - If I see one more start to a game or a half on defense where we get scored on because we are asleep or running passive D then Baker should be fired on the spot! How about come out right from the beginning and set the tone, who cares if we give up a TD we do that anyway by playing passive, how about just go for the knockout on the first play instead of getting pushed around the entire first drive???
5) Finally, put V-tech on their heels on defense right from the beginning. Our O-line is not that good so to set up the run with the pass is the best approach. We did that at Louisville and FSU, now we seem to have gotten away from it, although the NC State game seemed to be much more aggressive. Let's end running the same play 3 times in a row too, 2 times in a row is fine but, 3, come one Rhett!
Get a new DC

Advertisement
Containing Hooker is #1 in the matter of importance. Herbet their RB is dealing with a hamstring issue so I don't know if he will be 100%. Expect VT to use the eye candy that has given our Defense trouble all year. They took advantage last year with the Fullback or TE whatever he was on multiple misdirection type TDs. We must account for Hooker

We should continue to score points. Running game hopefully is better but if not, continue to pass to open up the run game.

Advertisement
I hope our coaches show up and have our players ready, lead them and call plays that put them in a good position to show their skills. Tech lost to liberty, does anyone think they have better talent than tech or the orangemen?

I hope our coaches show up and have our players ready, lead them and call plays that put them in a good position to show their skills. Tech lost to liberty, does anyone think they have better talent than tech or the orangemen?
They also lost to James Madison one year, then turned around and beat us. Liberty is well coached.

Advertisement

You lost me when you said "If I see one more start to a game ..."

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back