Keys to a win over Kentucky

I need to give UK a lot of credit. That is the best any team has looked against UM in 3 seasons. UK played lights out and we just did not defend as well as we need to, to win games this big.
UK also did a great job defending Pack, which is a problem because last season if he did not play well, Wong did. Bentley needs to be able to set up Pack for shots. UK’s athleticism seemed to overwhelm Pack.
We will have better games, much better, but this was a serious beat down by a good team.

Advertisement
Pack with an awful game. As much hype as he gets, this type of showing against a top team is what will keep him from getting drafted. Absolute negative on the floor tonight and usually is when he's not lighting it up from 3. Don't know what to say other than he needs to step up or George should cut into his minutes as more of a ballhandler, relegating Pack to an off ball type role with reduced minutes.
I could see a guy like George or Watson start down the road and Joseph comes off the bench. We are just giving up too much size with Joseph and Pack starting together.

11 points between Joseph, Pack, and Cleveland oooooof. Watson needs more PT. Him and George first two off the bench. Casey and Nwoko need to get it together. There will be games where Omier is in foul trouble. They have to eat minutes.
I thought Nwoko looked ok. Fumbling that alley oop was ugly, but he at least showed some aggression on the glass and was active.

Casey, on the other hand, looks like a total lost cause, especially since this is his second season. He looks incredibly timid and flat footed.

Advertisement
How was Cleveland gone 2 straight games without a single rebound? That can’t happen.

Expected Cleveland to take some time to fit in but he surprised early against lesser competition.

The team was ahead of schedule in how they played together… but tonight was an important lesson and experience against much better competition.

I think missing Bens the first half threw off the rhythm and flow of the team and they came out disjointed the second.

I think the bench had a better +/- than Bens and pack.

Pack with an awful game. As much hype as he gets, this type of showing against a top team is what will keep him from getting drafted. Absolute negative on the floor tonight and usually is when he's not lighting it up from 3. Don't know what to say other than he needs to step up or George should cut into his minutes as more of a ballhandler, relegating Pack to an off ball type role with reduced minutes.
Pack is what he is. A good college player but is too small and lacks the athletic ability for the NBA. He’ll likely end up in Europe but that’s fine. Maybe end of the bench in the league.

I thought Nwoko looked ok. Fumbling that alley oop was ugly, but he at least showed some aggression on the glass and was active.

Casey, on the other hand, looks like a total lost cause, especially since this is his second season. He looks incredibly timid and flat footed.
I didn’t watch when Nwoko went in during the second half. First half was rough for him. Just looked nervous. I agree with Casey he has been terrible. Soft as ****.

Advertisement
Schedule thread doesn’t show that game. But I see now that we do. Tough game after this.
Posting mishap fixed now, sorry
1701228012542.png

Advertisement
I need to give UK a lot of credit. That is the best any team has looked against UM in 3 seasons. UK played lights out and we just did not defend as well as we need to, to win games this big.
UK also did a great job defending Pack, which is a problem because last season if he did not play well, Wong did. Bentley needs to be able to set up Pack for shots. UK’s athleticism seemed to overwhelm Pack.
We will have better games, much better, but this was a serious beat down by a good team.

What was most disappointing was we never got into any rhythm offensively and our defensive effort was poor to start the 2nd. We missed shots, but the ball also just wasn’t moving like it has so much of this year.

Kentucky moved the ball and hit shots. We didn’t.

Kentucky moved and contested defensively fairly well. We didn’t.

Just a rough night overall.

Only positives were Watson looks ready, George looks close, Nwoko made progress, and we have lost this type of game each of the last two years and came out better for it.

I’m actually a huge Kentucky basketball fan. Watched every single game since Rando. This is one of the most talented Kentucky teams I have ever seen. Shooting, athletically, basketball IQ. Just finished watching the game and this was more an impressive Kentucky game than Miami disappointment game.

Probably humbling for Miami, they will bounce back. Miami didn’t seem to want it as much or were as aggressive. Translation, attacking the glass (O and D). I sense a bit of some final four hang over for the canes too

Pack is the best spot and catch shooter in college basketball. Trying to force him into a 1 is destroying his NBA potential. He needs to wake up. Cleveland too. Zero chance at a deep run when those two play so timid and scared like they did today. Ugly loss but thankfully it is early and Kentucky is a Final 4 team.

Advertisement
I’m actually a huge Kentucky basketball fan. Watched every single game since Rando. This is one of the most talented Kentucky teams I have ever seen. Shooting, athletically, basketball IQ. Just finished watching the game and this was more an impressive Kentucky game than Miami disappointment game.

Probably humbling for Miami, they will bounce back. Miami didn’t seem to want it as much or were as aggressive. Translation, attacking the glass (O and D). I sense a bit of some final four hang over for the canes too
Whats crazy is they are missing 7 foot 5 star players.. wtfff

Pack is the best spot and catch shooter in college basketball. Trying to force him into a 1 is destroying his NBA potential. He needs to wake up. Cleveland too. Zero chance at a deep run when those two play so timid and scared like they did today. Ugly loss but thankfully it is early and Kentucky is a Final 4 team.
I been saying it for awhile, we dont run anything for pack. Like nobody hunts to get him shots, its crazy to have a guy who can heat up at any moment and now we have him running point and he gets no looks.. We need to create looks for him..

Miami laying an egg the last 2-3 minutes of the first half did help at all. Definitely thought they’d come out ready to start the second half.

Advertisement
Back