Keys to a win over Kentucky

Defense defense defense. Slow the ball down. Kentucky loves to run they do not turn the ball over….We must have take a ways. They will score in bunches so Miami’s shooting percentage must be strong.

They are young and not that big so this will be teams that somewhat mirror one another Miami has more experience.

On ESPN in prime time, national visibility against a storybook program at their house. Will the moment be too big for this Miami group.

Advertisement
Defense defense defense. Slow the ball down. Kentucky loves to run they do not turn the ball over….We must have take a ways. They will score in bunches so Miami’s shooting percentage must be strong.

They are young and not that big so this will be teams that somewhat mirror one another Miami has more experience.

On ESPN in prime time, national visibility against a storybook program at their house. Will the moment be too big for this Miami group.
Why would we slow the ball down? That is a strength of the team to get out in transition. We don't need to get into a half court offensive game with Kentucky imo. We need to do what we are best at.

Why would the moment be too big for a final four team with tons of experience?

If Miami loses it will be because of a few things. Norchad got into foul trouble, and/or we had an off shooting night while they shot it well. I also am always a little leary of the Refs in a game in a blue bloods arena.

If Miami loses it will be because of a few things. Norchad got into foul trouble, and/or we had an off shooting night while they shot it well. I also am always a little leary of the Refs in a game in a blue bloods arena.

That’s a real concern.

But don’t discount the kind of talent Kentucky is gonna put on the floor. They lost to Kansas by 5 shooting 33% from the floor and 31.6% from deep.

Right now they have several guys averaging over 40% from three.

They could have one of those “can’t miss” nights and it would be awful tough for us to overcome.

On the other hand, I think experience and playmaking ability gives us the upper-hand on a night all else is equal.

Just fun to be part of a big time early season game.

Why would we slow the ball down? That is a strength of the team to get out in transition. We don't need to get into a half court offensive game with Kentucky imo. We need to do what we are best at.

Agreed. We are not going to "slow the ball down".

What we need to do is to get back quickly on defense and make sure to challenge their 3-point shooters into taking (and missing) contested 3s.

Kentucky has struggled against height. We do not have a lot of height. So we are going to need the defensive effort that was on display last year when we played taller teams.

Advertisement

What we need to do is to get back quickly on defense and make sure to challenge their 3-point shooters into taking (and missing) contested 3s.

Kentucky has struggled against height. We do not have a lot of height. So we are going to need the defensive effort that was on display last year when we played taller teams.
Agreed. Play our game. UM has a talent advantage over UK. Let me repeat that because I think it is hard for even our fan base to accept. UM has more talent than UK (and did last year as well). The more talented team typically wants to play fast and create more possessions.

I would simply force UK (except for Sheppard) to beat us by shooting 3 pointers. Make them prove it.

How many minutes will our starting five have to play, as compared to Kentucky's? We could easily get in foul trouble against their athletic players, or just worn down. Need a couple bench guys to play some meaningful/productive minutes on that big stage.

I've seen one game there, 40 years ago. It was an intimidating venue, to say the least. At that time, it sat almost 25,000. I think the capacity now is 20,500. My ticket, bought on game day was in the top, upper tier. I def coulda used some binoculars. The seats other than in the lower bowl go "vertical" pretty steeply. At least, that's my recollection.

Other memories: Fans "tailgate" in the lobbies of the two big hotels adjacent to the arena before game time. Their basketball Pep Band seemed as big as our Band of the Hour.

In listening

Watched a few podcaster from Kentucky and they are emphatic on Kentucky lives to run and they don’t make mistakes. We need to go in with a ball hawking defense which last years team did to nullify a running team and by nature we are a more set up type offense which works better in my opinion. Yes we can run well but they are very excited about this game and the crowd will simply ignite this Kentucky team and running with them might be a losing proposition.

Advertisement
In listening

Watched a few podcaster from Kentucky and they are emphatic on Kentucky lives to run and they don’t make mistakes. We need to go in with a ball hawking defense which last years team did to nullify a running team and by nature we are a more set up type offense which works better in my opinion. Yes we can run well but they are very excited about this game and the crowd will simply ignite this Kentucky team and running with them might be a losing proposition.

Maybe...try NOT listening to podcasters...and actually watch a few games before soiling your shorts over this unstoppable Kentucky juggernaut...

Look, this whole "running and shooting a ton of 3-pointers" Kentucky has existed for exactly 6 games. Maybe, just maybe, they have not yet invented and perfected the wheel, as an invention. Maybe, just maybe, they can be defended and put into situations where they don't hit as many 3-pointers as they have for [checks notes] this incredibly long 6-game span of the Kentucky high-scoring era.

Kentucky is good. I don't like playing this game at Rupp. But we have a good team that has executed very specific game-plans to beat teams who have seemingly been bigger and/or more talented than us over the past couple of years. If we execute our plan and stay out of foul trouble (which shouldn't be that hard against a team that shoots as many 3s as Kentucky does), then we can definitely beat these guys.

1701102532116.png

Miami is going to run every chance they get. Why change your game?

Miami just needs to rebound and limit their turnovers.

View attachment 267971
St. Joe's made 15 of 37 threes against UK. Still, the Cats were more efficient, hitting 12-25.

Both teams shot well (51% overall for UK, 43% for SJ).

Game tied at 77 in regulation. UK outscored the Hawks 19-11 in OT.

Advertisement
How many minutes will our starting five have to play, as compared to Kentucky's? We could easily get in foul trouble against their athletic players, or just worn down. Need a couple bench guys to play some meaningful/productive minutes on that big stage.

I've seen one game there, 40 years ago. It was an intimidating venue, to say the least. At that time, it sat almost 25,000. I think the capacity now is 20,500. My ticket, bought on game day was in the top, upper tier. I def coulda used some binoculars. The seats other than in the lower bowl go "vertical" pretty steeply. At least, that's my recollection.

Other memories: Fans "tailgate" in the lobbies of the two big hotels adjacent to the arena before game time. Their basketball Pep Band seemed as big as our Band of the Hour.
37 minutes.. we dont rotate alot

Advertisement
In a game and setting like this, that's a lot to ask. Especially if played at a racehorse pace.
Usually in big games, coaches tighten their rotation. In bahamas against UGA 4 starters all played 34, 34, 36, 37. Only Omier didnt and he was in foul trouble. Against KSU 36, 33, and 31. Wooga was in foul trouble and Cleveland played 29.

I expect the same, maybe he test some guys in deep waters to see how they respond but expect the starters to carry heavy load.. They better be ready to RUNNNN

The keys to winning…..coaching. Calipari isn’t familiar with the art of coaching. Elite recruiter, poor x and o’s guy; remind you of anyone?
So, Orlando Antigua is another "recruiter"-type Assistant. That means Bruiser Flint is Cal's "bench coach" brains?

Advertisement
Back