Key Smith Quit?

Advertisement
This trash offense is what happened. And he and QB1 didn’t gel. Then injuries happened. He needs a fresh start.

Bruh; don’t do that.

Key Smith has played in 18 games. In 17 of those games, he’s avg. 2 catches & 40 yrds/game. He had one game, last yr, where he had over 4 catches (7) against UNC. He also had one game over 75 yrds (83) against Pitt last season.

The excuse we all gave was he was 4th on the pecking order behind Rambo, Harley, & X. He came in to the season as a vet & WR1. Offense is garbage, yet somehow a kid who came in late from JUCO surpassed him immediately as WR1. Someone who had a late start to camp & adjustment to P5 football life, & immediately became the best WR. How?

Last edited:
This is normal for any program who has a new coach. The reason some of these guys didn’t leave when Mario first got here is cause they may have thought it would work out. Roster turnover happens at every school during every new higher. Kids are quitting other programs daily as well.

This isn’t something new, this isn’t a nightmare, this isn’t even a big deal. Ppl just react more cause of social media etc…

It’s in to the next player/recruit. Train ain’t stopping cause some players want to leave.
Coaching a team while trying to win games with this many quitters on it has to be a nightmare scenario for any coach.

Especially when the team is littered with quitters that are getting playing time at key positions. Let’s hope this is the bottom.

Sadly. we got a lot of poison on this team. Hopefully we see something good on the field tomorrow otherwise, let the exodus continue. Come Get Your Kid!

Advertisement
That’s been the issue; too many “flash” guys vs. consistent guys. We’ve had more “flashed” guys vs. guys who had NFL written all over them for quite some time. Whether that’s eval, coaching or scheme is no never mind. It needs to stop; & in Key’s case, being that he’s flashed, yet remained inconsistent w/ two different staffs now, I’m led to believe it’s him.
It has everything to do with fans hyping up the next guy up. The brain needs to fill in blanks and fans will take the next guy, see a flash and then extrapolate that to fit ridiculous expectations

Advertisement
She’s Black now, btw. Yep, the chick got a grip of plastic surgery to look like a light skinned, red bone (meaning, a light skinned black girl that’s thick af). This comes off her saying “black; who wants to be black.” Smh
Life comes at you fast.

Advertisement
Literally, they can. It’s a dumb concept when u think about u, but it shows how thirsty & dumb ppl r w/ social media.
100%

I need to start selling pictures of my feet. If I make a million on onlyfans I’ll donate to Miami football to replace Gattis

Bruh; don’t do that.

Key Smith has played in 18 games. In 17 of those games, he’s avg. 2 catches & 40 yrds/game. He had one game, last yr, where he had over 4 catches (7) against UNC. He also had one game over 75 yrds (83) against Pitt last season.

The excuse we all gave was he was 4th on the pecking order behind Rambo, Harley, & X. He came in to the season as a vet & WR1. Offense is garbage, yet somehow a kid who came in late from JUCO surpassed him immediately as WR1. Someone who had a late start to camp & adjustment to P5 football life, & immediately became the best WR. How?
I watch the games, I see how often buddy was open and not get looked at. And when he was targeted it was usually over thrown. Real talk. I was a linebacker in college and the CFL, but if I played WR and was open a lot and not get the ball I would have gone off like TO! lol. You said it yourself, he was WR1. Why is your WR 1 getting only 1-2 targets ALL GAME every game! And he gets open ALOT! Every time he was targeted was because he was the only option on a play action and it was always open. But it was often over thrown. He lacks wiggle no doubt but he should have been targeted at least 7-8 times a game because he has big play ability. Do you realize we hardly threw any passes more than 20 yards in the air most of the season? 88 passed him because TVD targets him whether open or not. Key for some reason is just not targeted even when open. 88 was getting targeted by TVD like 12 times lol. First play Garcia came in was a long TD to Key. It was our longest play of the year at that time and then not targeted again rest of the season lol.

Advertisement
I watch the games, I see how often buddy was open and not get looked at. And when he was targeted it was usually over thrown. Real talk. I was a linebacker in college and the CFL, but if I played WR and was open a lot and not get the ball I would have gone off like TO! lol. You said it yourself, he was WR1. Why is your WR 1 getting only 1-2 targets ALL GAME every game! And he gets open ALOT! Every time he was targeted was because he was the only option on a play action and it was always open. But it was often over thrown. He lacks wiggle no doubt but he should have been targeted at least 7-8 times a game because he has big play ability. Do you realize we hardly threw any passes more than 20 yards in the air most of the season? 88 passed him because TVD targets him whether open or not. Key for some reason is just not targeted even when open. 88 was getting targeted by TVD like 12 times lol. First play Garcia came in was a long TD to Key. It was our longest play of the year at that time and then not targeted again rest of the season lol.

Then we ain’t watching the same games. Lol

While he hasn't been particularly consistent as a WR (and will never have the physical attributes & hands of Colbie), Key looked very good on KR early in the season. Showed good straight-line speed. We've lost a lot on KR since he's been replaced (or chose not to return kicks). Would love to know which one it was.
Key worked hard in the offseason. You could see the results in his early KR. He was blowing past people.

If the social media comments by his mom caused him to have his role minimized, it's a tremendous shame if he wasn't given a chance to sit down & discuss things with the coaches (and explain his love for the program etc). While the players must not embarrass the coaching staff publicly, they cannot control what their parents post. Some parents of athletes are genuinely crazy (not saying that's the case here). What if he said jokingly to his mom: "Mom, the coaches ripped us a new one today & told us we're the worst" and then she ran with that. Shouldn't that be forgivable, if he sits down & explains that he's totally on board & loves the program etc. I hope he was given a chance to share his perspective on his mom's comments because he seems like a dedicated & hard-working guy.

I'd love to know if he was taken off KR duties because of his mom's social media post or by his own choice. This seems like a really unfortunate situation all-around.

While he hasn't been particularly consistent as a WR (and will never have the physical attributes & hands of Colbie), Key looked very good on KR early in the season. Showed good straight-line speed. We've lost a lot on KR since he's been replaced (or chose not to return kicks). Would love to know which one it was.
Key worked hard in the offseason. You could see the results in his early KR. He was blowing past people.

If the social media comments by his mom caused him to have his role minimized, it's a tremendous shame if he wasn't given a chance to sit down & discuss things with the coaches (and explain his love for the program etc). While the players must not embarrass the coaching staff publicly, they cannot control what their parents post. Some parents of athletes are genuinely crazy (not saying that's the case here). What if he said jokingly to his mom: "Mom, the coaches ripped us a new one today & told us we're the worst" and then she ran with that. Shouldn't that be forgivable, if he sits down & explains that he's totally on board & loves the program etc. I hope he was given a chance to share his perspective on his mom's comments because he seems like a dedicated & hard-working guy.

I'd love to know if he was taken off KR duties because of his mom's social media post or by his own choice. This seems like a really unfortunate situation all-around.

Iirc, Smith was relieved off of K.O duties in the Duke game when both he & Knighton fumbled on back to back possessions. Smith K.O prowess was against BCU & MTSU. I highly doubt Mario punished him for his mom vs. when given the opportunity to be WR1, he failed at it.

Don’t get me wrong, Key flashed a couple of times while here, but that consistency was zero. This is coming from a fan from CA who was hyped we pulled him b/c he appeared to have a great work ethic w/ speed, coming from an area in SD notorious for producing ballers.

Advertisement
Back