Key Busters

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium

Subtle tactics that good offense coordinators use are called key busters. For those of you who ever wanted to know why you would ever pull an offensive lineman on a pass play, well here you go. From and early point in a defensive player's life he is taught, "Where the guards go, the play goes." Well offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley said "hahahahahahaha" to that notion.

This is not an RPO. This is a designed play action pop pass to the play side. The linebackers crash hard when they see the combination of a QB play fake/pulling guard and it is a wrap.

Also note the quarterback's mechanics (That is sort of my thing if you didn't know) This is what I refer to as off-platforming. You sometimes need to forsake perfect feet in order to achieve perfect rhythm. Defenses understand rhythm, WR route distance, qb drops etc...They have a job to do as well. They'll disrupt your rhythm any chance you let them.

The quarterback and OC's job is to make sure the play happens when it needs to happen. Off platforming in rhythm throws have to be part of your offense. Week to week, I did notice Kosi having the ability to do so.

Advertisement
I remember Coley used to pull linemen in pass protection also. I always thought it seemed needlessly complicated but never thought about it as a way to throw off a defense's keys.

Advertisement
That is a beautifully designed play.

It also isn't the type of wrinkle a defense can adjust to easily because the next time it is a run or an RPO and it goes for nice yardage.

Would have to think this would have killed UVA who was crashing our runs hard? Eh, who are we kidding, Mahoney would have fallen down.

Advertisement
Would have to think this would have killed UVA who was crashing our runs hard? Eh, who are we kidding, Mahoney would have fallen down.
fall.gif

Rosier would sail that pass into the safety's hands.

Perry would check out of that play for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Oh my bad, I thought this was the official overreaction thread.

Advertisement

Subtle tactics that good offense coordinators use are called key busters. For those of you who ever wanted to know why you would ever pull an offensive lineman on a pass play, well here you go. From and early point in a defensive player's life he is taught, "Where the guards go, the play goes." Well offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley said "hahahahahahaha" to that notion.

This is not an RPO. This is a designed play action pop pass to the play side. The linebackers crash hard when they see the combination of a QB play fake/pulling guard and it is a wrap.

Also note the quarterback's mechanics (That is sort of my thing if you didn't know) This is what I refer to as off-platforming. You sometimes need to forsake perfect feet in order to achieve perfect rhythm. Defenses understand rhythm, WR route distance, qb drops etc...They have a job to do as well. They'll disrupt your rhythm any chance you let them.

The quarterback and OC's job is to make sure the play happens when it needs to happen. Off platforming in rhythm throws have to be part of your offense. Week to week, I did notice Kosi having the ability to do so.

Were they doing that 30 years ago?

Advertisement

Advertisement
Back