Key Busters

Miami ran a double dagger concept vs FSU for a go ahead TD to Brevin. They ended up getting Brevin iso with a LB playing man 1. That was an example of isolating on a linebacker that I praised.

The top concept shows a nice wrinkle on an over concept. The funny thing is Miami runs a play similar to this. A pitchfork over concept. The field #2 however is running a drag and up. (That is the wrinkle) The tight concept aspect of it was countered by the vikings going heavy in the box with a backside cover 1 man.

Good scout. Good look. Good design. That is a shock play drawn up in advance. My guess was because they probably knew how the Vikings like to combat that tight look. Little coverage bust. Didn't help that two defenders went to the HB. Plus play needs time. Does this offensive line give you that time?

Nothing fancy about the bottom. Viking's got caught bracketing the 3 side to the field with the opposite side boundary safety. When the safety vacates the # 1 look is taken away and the QB does a great job of throwing them where they aint. HB is one on one and takes the lb's cookies.

Actually I really like this wrinkle in the boundary for the Canes. Richt runs a TON of bang 8/ flat concepts with the X and HB. Something like that could combat the tenancy.

Thanks for the breakdown man. Much appreciated! Good question/point brought up about whether the o-line could hold up that long to let that first play develop. Hopefully, MR can put his ego to the side and bring someone in with a better offensive mind to help the team next year and the years after.

Advertisement

37 seconds in

This video just confirms why people shouldnt be complaining about coach richt, and should focus on players that need to put in the work, like losi, when brad kaaya looks better on a play-action roll out than perry, that tells how much work perry needs to be doing. These young players need to wake up, the problem is, there are no upper classmen on offense that the players respect once Ahmon got hurt. This is why its going to be vital for the qb to develop as a leader, whoever that might be.

I was sitting here thinking how far we had fallen that we actually hired and paid for Patrix Nix. :02.47-tranquillity:

Advertisement
How is this guy smarter than our 30 year experienced, 4 mil a year corch?
#RomanforOC
This is nothing new and I'm sure Richt uses keybreakers or keybusters as the OP calls them. They've been around forever and they're probably a part of Richt's offense...somewhere. It seems Richt likes to stay basic given the fact he doesn't have a great deal of trust in either of his two QBs. I'm not sure of that, though.

I sat in a conversation with the senior George Mira once and he described the offense he learned when he was with the San Franciso 49ers in the mid-60's. He used the term "keybreakers" a lot. This is probably the same thing as "keybusters".

I think the San Franciso offense of the mid-60's used them in the offense at that time. Remember that Mira backed up one of the best QBs of the era: John Brodie. (Mira, of course, felt he should start and believed that he had actually beaten out Brodie but that favoritism kept him, the better QB, on the bench).

I can't believe a guy like Richt who coached fairly successfully in the SEC for years and ran an offense with a Heisman Award QB doesn't know keybreakers.

Why he's doing what he's doing now, I haven't a clue. I just think he doesn't have a lot to work with here, in terms of OLs and QBs. N'kosi is young and not a great student of the game so he's trying to get by on talent, and not talent and smarts.

If he had a physiucally gifted QB with Ken Dorsey's brains and smarts I wonder what Richt would do...maybe nothing, but I'm trying to look at all the possible factors. I don't have a lot of faith in Perry either. I suspect Williams might really be the future.

As I said, I'm trying to consider all the factors at play with our current situation. It seems Richet doesn't have a lot of faith with what he has to work with, especially the OLs and the QBs. Can you blame him? If the same stuff continues with Jarren Williams next year, well....we know who to blame.

Advertisement
L-0-L for all the posters saying they don't miss Kaaya. Lol.

At this point, I would take Kaaya back in heartbeat. Our current QB situation is a mess, hard to believe we don't have a single QB that can play. Wonder what Richt was thinking when he ran Kaaya off? One of the many miscalculations by Richt.

Advertisement
OU has a player similar to Jeff Thomas, Marquis "Hollywoood" Brown.

Brown has played 5 games this year, 33 catches 675 yards
Jeff Thomas has played 7 games, 17 catches 401 yards

Riley gets it to him in space in a variety of ways, it fun to watch.

Originally from SFL too.

Gustafsons offense had more imagination than Richts and most here were not even born when he was the coach
Gus was offensive coordinator for one of the most powerful, dominating offenses in the history of college football--the great Army teams of the late 1940's. They had Mr. Inside ("Doc" Blanchard) and Mr. Outside (Glen Davis). They also had two great QBs--Arnold Tucker and Arnold Galiffa. Arnold Tucker was a native Miamian who started his college career at UM. That's why he is one of the former UM players in the College Football HOF.

Later on, Coach Gus designed one of the most respected offenses in football: the Miami Drive Series or the belly series. It was called that because the fullback would "drive" into the line every play whether he had the ball or not. The belly aspect was the QB would put the ball into the fullback's belly and either hand off or pull it out and do something else with it. I have read that our 1950's offense was a forerunner of the wishbone and maybe other option offenses. We had a great fullback in the '50's, Don Bosseler, who is in the College Football HOF.

As far as using "keybreakers " I just found an old Washington Post article about the 1983 Redskins. It discussed keybreakers being used by the Skins. Mira used them at the 49ers in the '60's. They've been around forever.

Funny...that conversation with George that took place the night before the '89 ND game--he talked about keybreakers being used I think with the 49ers but come to think of it, it mifght have been the U's offense of late '80's--I'm having trouble remembering which. I do know the concept has been around for decades, it's not new. The '89 Cane offense was different from the Schnellenberger-Gary Stevens offense of '79-'88. The Schnellenberger offense had its roots with Shula, Weeb Ewbank and originally Paul Brown. It goes way back, maybe to the '50's and even before.

Don't think that Richt doesn't know what keybreakers are. He just might not use them in his offense.

Whether he should--I don't know enough to answer that question. I leave that to Roman.

At this point, I would take Kaaya back in heartbeat. Our current QB situation is a mess, hard to believe we don't have a single QB that can play. Wonder what Richt was thinking when he ran Kaaya off? One of the many miscalculations by Richt.

Would you mind posting a link to the article that shows that Richt "ran Kaaya off"?

Thanks.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back