Kevin Steele on Joe Rose this morning

Advertisement
He is going to fix the defense. Kids will play tough and be challenged for sure.

I like what he said about Mario’s recruiting in comparison to other great HCs - essentially saying they do it but he lives it all day everyday.

Also hinted about playing all three of the safeties equating it to if you have a great player standing next to you on the sideline you aren’t doing it right

He is going to fix the defense. Kids will play tough and be challenged for sure.

I like what he said about Mario’s recruiting in comparison to other great HCs - essentially saying they do it but he lives it all day everyday.

Also hinted about playing all three of the safeties equating it to if you have a great player standing next to you on the sideline you aren’t doing it right

I like this--he needs to make sure James Williams is always out there. Base role as deep safety, but also move him around to situationally be at the SAM/Striker/Slot spot.

Loved that part as well, JW should be out there like Simmons at Clemson was. Let him line up everywhere. He is a big play magnet, just keep him on the field and let good things happen.

Advertisement
My biggest concern is the lack of high end guys on the DL and our size. You can get all kinds of creative on the back end but unless Taylor takes the next step at DT and you find an effective edge guy those safeties won’t truly shine.

I do think the defense will take a step forward just off of playing with a sound scheme and having coaches that aren’t “yes” men to the HC.

I told y’all we will see a lot of Williams, Williams and kitchens together. Number 0 can play the star position which Minkah played at Bama

My biggest concern is the lack of high end guys on the DL and our size. You can get all kinds of creative on the back end but unless Taylor takes the next step at DT and you find an effective edge guy those safeties won’t truly shine.

I do think the defense will take a step forward just off of playing with a sound scheme and having coaches that aren’t “yes” men to the HC.
Yep. My concern for our pass rush is there just like it was going into last year. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

Advertisement

Do you think gap control oriented DL play will fix the issues we had? I feel like it will because we sucked worse than teams that had "lesser" talent on the rosters.

Disciplined based DL play can help that front 7 in a major way...least that's how I see it.

“Lose games real quick if you have 11 guy out of on the field and one of your best players is standing next to you. Need the best players on the field.”

Yes this is off-season coach speak but it’s different coming from a accomplished dc like Steele. Music to my **** ears. The days of cis being months, if not years ahead, of personnel decisions/position changes are finally over. Hallelujah. It was a terrible run.

Do you think gap control oriented DL play will fix the issues we had? I feel like it will because we sucked worse than teams that had "lesser" talent on the rosters.

Disciplined based DL play can help that front 7 in a major way...least that's how I see it.
Being more disciplined with our gaps will help in the run game but we need guys to step up as pass rushers especially in this scheme, cant have the secondary covering forever

Advertisement
“Lose games real quick if you have 11 guy out of on the field and one of your best players is standing next to you. Need the best players on the field.”

Yes this is off-season coach speak but it’s different coming from a accomplished dc like Steele. Music to my **** ears. The days of cis being months, if not years ahead, of personnel decisions/position changes are finally over. Hallelujah. It was a terrible run.
"Best players will play no matter the year or personnel. The best 11 guys will be on the field I dont care what I have to do" is DEFINITELY coach speak but like you said. I DEFINITELY believe Steele.

:****:

Advertisement

Is he going to be on the field to make the tackles?

One of life's great mysteries that all of us CIS-denziens haven't been given on/off-field roles at Hecht.

New Rule: people can speak only when they are wearing the HC's headset. Be respectful amd remember to share.

It will help and it’ll make the LBs look like different guys when they don’t have multiple OL coming downhill every run play. You can still be discipline while being aggressive but what Manny was doing was definition of boom or bust (see UNC when they ran for 5000 yards on us a few years ago)

Advertisement
Back