Kevin Steele on Joe Rose this morning

Portal should help. I sure we attack it some more after Mario sees what we actually have after spring practices
A lot you guys have the same reaction evertime you don't see production from the previous year. That first reaction is to just hit the Portal.

First of all, You assume what's in the Portal is better than what's on the roster which may or may not be true. These young men were recruited as blue chip athletes. Why would would you jump to the Portal when you have the athletes already on the roster? You just don’t hear about them because the didn't play or played very little. That Freshman or Sophomore may be ready to take thst next step. Just because he didn't play last year doesn't mean he isn't any good.

Secondly, many of these young men were mismanaged, not developed properly, and played in an undiciplined scheme.

Thirdly, some of of the same guys not making plays and making mistakes were not benched even for a few plays. Any assumption that the guys bend them were not up to par is premature. However seeing and then hearing how Diaz ran the program, I wouldn't count out anyone.

Lastly, we have a culture change and much better coaching. In fact, we have superior coaching at our weakest links of LB and OL. I expect some players to emerge that may have been counted out.

Spring football starts next week. We should all just wait and see how the team develops before we start clamoring for players from the Portal.

Mario is doing things right. He took some Portal transfers where he knew he needed help. He's going to evaluate the team after the Spring practices and some of the players declare themselves into the Portal. Then he'll know where he needs to filll holes with players from the Portal.

In Mario we trust!!!

Advertisement
Do you think gap control oriented DL play will fix the issues we had? I feel like it will because we sucked worse than teams that had "lesser" talent on the rosters.

Disciplined based DL play can help that front 7 in a major way...least that's how I see it.
May not fix everything, but would be a major part of overhaul.

The Defense will be much more improved, especially in Run Defense.

Just put the talented players on the field & let them attack, no need to over complicate the Defense, just put the fastest & most aggressive 11 on the field & allow them to excel at their strong points. The Defense doesn’t have the Goons yet on the DL to be elite, but there’s enough there to keep us in most games this season.

The LB group I think will be better if the speed guys are allowed to play, they will still make mistakes, but I’ll take speed & upside with mistakes over slow & low ceiling with mistakes.

The CB group will be solely contingent on open competition, no shoo-in starters, make the CB’s earn their starting reps & force them to play better or sit their *** on the bench, don’t baby’em or hand anything to them & they’ll be better for it. But most importantly, the threat of being benched for poor play has to be established, cannot go another season watching CB’s getting ate the fck up in coverage every single week & never having to worry about someone behind them taking their spot. Make. Them. Uncomfortable. & Hold. Them. Accountable.

Just Keep It Simple Stupid & the Defense can survive the season.

A lot you guys have the same reaction evertime you don't see production from the previous year. That first reaction is to just hit the Portal.

First of all, You assume what's in the Portal is better than what's on the roster which may or may not be true. These young men were recruited as blue chip athletes. Why would would you jump to the Portal when you have the athletes already on the roster? You just don’t hear about them because the didn't play or played very little. That Freshman or Sophomore may be ready to take thst next step. Just because he didn't play last year doesn't mean he isn't any good.

Secondly, many of these young men were mismanaged, not developed properly, and played in an undiciplined scheme.

Thirdly, some of of the same guys not making plays and making mistakes were not benched even for a few plays. Any assumption that the guys bend them were not up to par is premature. However seeing and then hearing how Diaz ran the program, I wouldn't count out anyone.

Lastly, we have a culture change and much better coaching. In fact, we have superior coaching at our weakest links of LB and OL. I expect some players to emerge that may have been counted out.

Spring football starts next week. We should all just wait and see how the team develops before we start clamoring for players from the Portal.

Mario is doing things right. He took some Portal transfers where he knew he needed help. He's going to evaluate the team after the Spring practices and some of the players declare themselves into the Portal. Then he'll know where he needs to filll holes with players from the Portal.

In Mario we trust!!!
so we don’t trust Mario if we want him to improve the talent on the team by any means necessary??

In Mario we trust!!!
agreed entirely.

i´m going to temper my expectations both ways. give every one a fresh start in a new systems with better coaches and better incoming players AND not think we are going 15-0 either. this is a RBUILD, not of the team but of the ENTIRE PROGRAM. it´s going to take time.

Advertisement
"Best players will play no matter the year or personnel. The best 11 guys will be on the field I dont care what I have to do" is DEFINITELY coach speak but like you said. I DEFINITELY believe Steele.
Coach Steele means that ****. Definitely not coach speak. Has been known to run off jags or have them run off. . .

My biggest concern is the lack of high end guys on the DL and our size. You can get all kinds of creative on the back end but unless Taylor takes the next step at DT and you find an effective edge guy those safeties won’t truly shine.

I do think the defense will take a step forward just off of playing with a sound scheme and having coaches that aren’t “yes” men to the HC.
Seems like always happens when we are stong on the inside we are weak on the outside (only last year that I can remember), then in previous years our ends have been very good, with little inside help (only year we were good on both was willis's year).

so we don’t trust Mario if we want him to improve the talent on the team by any means necessary??
Who said all that ? You just making **** up. I said evaluate what's on the roster. We don't know what we have, but you guys answer is always hit the portal ala Manny Diaz.

You go to the Portal for 2 reasons. Lack of depth and/or the talent level is below your standard. I believe Mario addressed some depth issues with the Spring transfers. Secondly, you don't really know the quality of players you have until you see them live and allow th to develop over the Spring. You guys just make these armchair Portal decisions because you have decided the talent level isn't there. Again, you don't know because players were not developed properly and Diaz was playing mostly upperclassmen for a large portion of the season regardless of whether they deserved playing time.

Lastly, you don't just blindly hit the Portal just because you think you can get an upgrade. In that case, you should look in the Portal to replace just about every player including TVD. Should Mario have pursued Caleb Williams in the portal? After all, he is perceived ro be a better QB.

How about we let our new coaches do their job developing the players and see what we have during the Spring game. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Advertisement
They’re not hitting the portal hard right now because they have a ton of faith in the guys on the roster.
My theory: they are seeing what we have, while keeping a very close eye on the portal and what may be available to fill gaps after spring.

The portal is a way of life in college football. It may come and go. It may be here to stay. But today, in 2022, raid the ******* thing to give Miami the best chance to win if that’s what it takes as part of build.

Who said all that ? You just making **** up. I said evaluate what's on the roster. We don't know what we have, but you guys answer is always hit the portal ala Manny Diaz.

You go to the Portal for 2 reasons. Lack of depth and/or the talent level is below your standard. I believe Mario addressed some depth issues with the Spring transfers. Secondly, you don't really know the quality of players you have until you see them live and allow th to develop over the Spring. You guys just make these armchair Portal decisions because you have decided the talent level isn't there. Again, you don't know because players were not developed properly and Diaz was playing mostly upperclassmen for a large portion of the season regardless of whether they deserved playing time.

Lastly, you don't just blindly hit the Portal just because you think you can get an upgrade. In that case, you should look in the Portal to replace just about every player including TVD. Should Mario have pursued Caleb Williams in the portal? After all, he is perceived ro be a better QB.

How about we let our new coaches do their job developing the players and see what we have during the Spring game. Just a thought.
No one is arguing to indiscriminately use the portal. No one is saying not to trust Mario.

Everyone seems largely on the same positive page aside from posters who seem to be fighting the air about people moping or not trusting Mario.

Also the infatuation with Manny gets a little off when it’s attacking him for maybe the only thing a failed regime actually did well.

If Mario could get HIS version of the type of players to fill HIS gaps like we did in Rambo and Phillips and Roche and Hill and King and Colbert and Jarrid Williams and Stevenson and Osborn types, we’ll be ******* Mel Tucker rich this season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Being more disciplined with our gaps will help in the run game but we need guys to step up as pass rushers especially in this scheme, cant have the secondary covering forever

I really hope we let Brooks and Davis spend a lot of reps coming off the edge in practice. I think they can help us establish a pass rush. I think Harvey takes a step. Williams is an un known. Really need Taylor to grow up fast and give us some Willis/ RJ like production.

Any help in the portal would be big. Need a pass rusher, even if undersized. I think we will be ok in the run game.

I really hope we let Brooks and Davis spend a lot of reps coming off the edge in practice. I think they can help us establish a pass rush. I think Harvey takes a step. Williams is an un known. Really need Taylor to grow up fast and give us some Willis/ RJ like production.

Any help in the portal would be big. Need a pass rusher, even if undersized. I think we will be ok in the run game.
Agreed I've always thought sam is a better edge than LB, davis too his hs film he was explosive off the edge. I hope somebody can step up pass rush wise because steele isn't a heavy blitz guy, he relies on his dline to create pressure on early downs which is fine until your secondary and lbs are covering for too long. Our corners aren't great and even if they were thats a heavy task for any defense.

My theory: they are seeing what we have, while keeping a very close eye on the portal and what may be available to fill gaps after spring.

The portal is a way of life in college football. It may come and go. It may be here to stay. But today, in 2022, raid the ******* thing to give Miami the best chance to win if that’s what it takes as part of build.
Fortunately Mario seems to agree with you.

I don’t see how simply playing with more gap integrity will improve the defense as a whole, as stated by several posters within this thread.

If you don’t have enough talent, playing your assignment or gap is great as far as being where the coaches want you to be; but you are also going to lose vs OLmen that are more talented than you.

That leads to things like having to blitz more, leaving your back 7 more exposed; having the first contact with the RB (on run plays) be further down the field; being easier to gameplan against, because that element of surprise is gone; etc etc etc.

Manny’s scheme gets skewered pretty badly around these boards these days (rightfully so, IMO). But the solution isn’t as simple as “do the opposite of what Manny did.”

We need more talent. That is evident by how hard Mario is attacking DLmen in the portal. Hopefully a few guys already on the roster that couldn’t contribute within the old schemes, can do something to contribute in the new scheme. But I think there needs to be a serious infusion of talent in order to get things fixed, way more than a simple change of philosophy on DL gap integrity can fix.

Advertisement
Back