Confirmed Kevin Steele GONE to Bama

Kevin Steele has been a very good coach throughout most of his career. Very well respected for a reason. Our defense didn't perform very well last year (actually very bad statistically by seasons end), but that wasn't necessarily on him. He would have improved our defense dramatically in Year 2, for sure...with that said, he's not irreplaceable and he is winding down on his career...this might not have been the best place for him as he finishes off his career. This job requires a LOT of work right now.

Would have loved to go to one of his seminars while he was down here...unfortunately, I couldn't. Type of guy that you want to pick their brain for hours...he's seen it all.

Advertisement
Our CB's were so bad that Steele couldn't even run his base coverage because they were getting cooked.

For those who don't know...

Steele is a big Cover-3 "Match" guy...with press alignment on the outside. He literally said in one of his first clinics at Miami..."We are a press team. We are going to disrupt routes."

Well when the defensive staff got to Miami, our Corners didn't even know how to properly play press. (thanks Manny)
The staff spent a ton of energy reteaching them how to properly perform the fundamentals of coverage. This is part of implementing a new scheme. Coaches do it across the country.

Well fast forward to 4/5 games through the season (?), our CB's were getting cooked on deep vertical routes. It was evident at that point that we couldn't run our base scheme. I literally watched them change their scheme to a more of a loose zone Cover-2 shell to try and salvage some defensive success/momentum.

Some people might say "well you shouldn't be running that scheme with those players". But that's not how it works. Finding out what your players can and can't do, takes a little longer than people think. It takes at least a few games of live action versus an opponent. Every week you try to "coach it up" as best as you can until it's blatantly evident that they can't perform the duties required. If you change the scheme too quickly, instead of coaching up the players, you essentially show the players that you don't believe in them.

Coaches that have been doing this for 30 years have a system that they believe in. With that system, you need certain type of players. You are not going to change the system that you've been running for 30 years to fit around a lack of talent. Not at a level of football where you can actually cherry pick what you need. This isn't high school.

Steele didn't have what he needed at CB or LB. (particularly CB)
200w.webp

Advertisement
Advertisement
In reality, the best move is promote Strong as DC.

All the recruits and transfers we brought are expecting to play in a certain system on defense. Bringing in a new DC with a new philosophy one month before spring isn’t the best move in the world. We don’t need that issue for both sides of the ball when we have the option of not doing it.

I know Strong has instantly became trash to CIS but I’m sure he still knows how to run a good defense.

That Mario is taking this long on an OC is really inexcusable. My only conjecture is that he was hunting a big fish that was in the college or NFL playoffs and didn't get him, so is now negotiating with Plan Bs. If that wasn't the case, he fiddled for 2 months at the expense of the program.

That said, conflating how he's handling his OC situation with how he's handling his DC situation is ridiculous. I highly doubt he expected Steele to jump at this point, and I highly highly doubt he gave him a push. Nick Saban came calling, 99 out of 100 coaches would have taken that offer. I also believe Mario hired Steele AND Strong because he liked them both to lead the defense, saw them as plug and play.

In that context, it's not a lazy decision to promote Strong, it's called succession planning. The much more dangerous situation is to go out on the market now for a DC when you already have a stability problem. We need to bring in several more kids from the portal, get to Spring camp, and prepare for the 2023 season. Jesus, it's like "governance" is a four letter word around here.

We could do a whole lot better with the finances we have. To go from Steele to this guy is not an upgrade whatsoever.
The guy hasn’t ever been a defensive coordinator so just wondering how you can come to that conclusion? Or is this your opinion because he’s never been a DC before?

Advertisement
In reality, the best move is promote Strong as DC.

All the recruits and transfers we brought are expecting to play in a certain system on defense. Bringing in a new DC with a new philosophy one month before spring isn’t the best move in the world. We don’t need that issue for both sides of the ball when we have the option of not doing it.

I know Strong has instantly became trash to CIS but I’m sure he still knows how to run a good defense.

Too logical for CIS.

We're devolving to Canestime and Canesport levels now. Every decision Mario makes sucks, every option Mario has sucks. Mario sucks. He's overpaid, he's stubborn, he only wants to run a broffense, his class dropped to #7 because he's failing at recruiting, the barbarians are at the gates, the world is ending.

The guy hasn’t ever been a defensive coordinator so just wondering how you can come to that conclusion? Or is this your opinion because he’s never been a DC before?
How can I come to a conclusion of a guy who's never been a DC before, not being an upgrade over a guy with many yrs of experience as one, and another who's Won 2 NCs as one??............Easily...

I always saw Strong as Steele's successor, so I never saw it as laziness, just smart planning. I will have zero regrets if Strong is DC.
Not sure at his age and point in his career, Strong should be considered a successor to anyone. Guy hasn't coordinated a defense since he left Florida over a decade ago and hasn't been apart of a good defense since he left Louisville. If that was the plan, it wasn't a very good one. He's only two years younger than Steele.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back