Keontra Smith a striker now?

You're missing my point. When we move guys to striker we immediately bulk them up over their natural weight hurting their natural coverage skills yet still aren't big enough to handle at point of attack. Just let DBs be DBs and let LBs be LBs. It's that simple. It's not rocket science. It's what the good teams actually do.
Who have we beefed up beyond their natural weight? Keontra natural playing weight will probably be 200-205
Gil came in at 185-190..he is now listed at 199 but maybe 205..
Romeo came In at 6’1 200..finished listed at 215..who are these names the staff had made beef up?

Advertisement
We rarely to never ran that , pink and Shaq were always on the field. We ran it more when the injuries happened at lb. We were in nickel majority of the time this year when guys were healthy. Maybe some 3-2-6 dime occasionally but nickel was a large portion of the d.
A 3rd Safety=striker...this is a nickel package. We as do most other teams run it as our base D. It was a 4–2-5 look..we didn’t use a lot of 3 LB packages at all last year

Gilbert needs to stay at Striker. He got toasted once. Besides that, he played very well in steed of Finley.

And I think I few people have already said this, but Amari is not good in coverage. So, move him to linebacker. He's bigger than half of our current backers. Why not?
Yea he got toased in the first game in the season , people act like he trash just because that one play

Yeah, you're right. The defenses at Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, Clemson, Georgia are all doing it wrong. They just don't win much using the base defenses they use. What are they thinking not using a ridiculous made up striker position where they bulk up players and have them play out of position. What was I thinking.
All these teams don’t just use their base defense all game , and Simmons from Clemson played the striker role for Clemson , it’s just not called striker

Advertisement
Not too mad at this bc as stated earlier, he was basically playing Lb in high school. Now they need to let GB3 slim down and go to his money position at safety. Amari Carter can move down to striker to.

all 4-2-5 defenses has a striker but they have different names for it. This fanbase just get so caught up in the names of positions. Simmons at clemson was a safety that they moved to their hybrid position this past season. Bud foster called the position in his defense whip.

Bama plays mostly nickel and they use the star position. Osu tried out a sort of hybrid position this year. Nobody is just lining up in a 4-3 or 3-4 anymore

thank you for helping the uneducated! Bama went away from 250lb awhile ago once Gus Malzahn started roasting Sabans defense. They have the STAR which Fitzpatrick played and he is basically a jumbo safety who can play multiple spots in the field. The striker isn’t some new amazing thing. Auburn uses what they call the BUCK, basically same thing.

my biggest concern is the fact that we seem to miss on true safeties. Golden and Hall will be the starters with Carter and Williams as guess their backups. Banda needs to hit on two more true safeties in this upcoming class.

we got lucky with getting Bolden. Him and Hall are nice but we don’t have much after them. Carter is a huge liability in space and Williams is a true freshman.

thank you for helping the uneducated! Bama went away from 250lb awhile ago once Gus Malzahn started roasting Sabans defense. They have the STAR which Fitzpatrick played and he is basically a jumbo safety who can play multiple spots in the field. The striker isn’t some new amazing thing. Auburn uses what they call the BUCK, basically same thing.

my biggest concern is the fact that we seem to miss on true safeties. Golden and Hall will be the starters with Carter and Williams as guess their backups. Banda needs to hit on two more true safeties in this upcoming class.

we got lucky with getting Bolden. Him and Hall are nice but we don’t have much after them. Carter is a huge liability in space and Williams is a true freshman.
You're forgetting Jalen Harell at safety.

Advertisement
All these teams don’t just use their base defense all game , and Simmons from Clemson played the striker role for Clemson , it’s just not called striker

I never said they used it the entire game. And no Simmons is just a freak. Clemson runs the 4-3 defense, it's just that Simmons is the most versatile defensive player we've seen in more than a decade. But no, they run the 4-3 and then go to nickel and dime.

Advertisement
I never said they used it the entire game. And no Simmons is just a freak. Clemson runs the 4-3 defense, it's just that Simmons is the most versatile defensive player we've seen in more than a decade. But no, they run the 4-3 and then go to nickel and dime.
U do know that offenses can go hurry up and make it impossible for defenses to sub, right?

Advertisement

Oh kid, again, the "star" position isn't the "striker" position. The players in the star position all practice with the DBs, hone their skills as DBs, which the striker doesn't do. They aren't asked to line up as glorified LBs, which we do with the striker position.

Do you know what the "star" position is...it's running nickel. That's it. Just gave it a fun name. That's not what we do with the "striker" position. This board never ceases to amaze me.

2? Maybe with 1 coming in with Washington.

Exactly. We had one (Finley) entering last season and then Frierson was moved from corner. With Finley graduating, we were back to one at the end of 2019. If the speculation based on this thread is true that Smith is now a striker, then we are back to two. It's been widely reported that Washington was recruited to play striker. I suspect that he's a redshirt candidate now if Smith is in fact now at striker. The other player possibly in the mix is Jalen Harrell. He mentioned in an interview that he was told he could play either safety or striker.

Advertisement
Back