Keontra Smith a striker now?

Advertisement
Most teams run 11 personel no matter the situation..they run the ball in 10 personel too..gil,smith, finely are all true DBs..but are physical, versatile and big enough to play in the box while also handling coverage responsibilities..4-2-5 or 3-3-5 or even 3-2-6 is what just about everyone is running to combat what offenses are doing today..in our situation our 4th and 5th corners were couch and Williams..why would any DC put them as their nickel DB in possible run situations?
Good explanation here. With the emphasis Diaz puts on tackling, I think he prefers having a striker on the field as opposed to an extra corner because the extra corner can put you at a tackling disadvantage. A safety/LB hybrid will tackle better and have enough speed to cover a little bit.

Spread/Up tempo teams don’t allow that to happen anymore. The position was built to stop those teams. Kendall Briles didn’t know what hit him.

Yeah, you're right. The defenses at Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, Clemson, Georgia are all doing it wrong. They just don't win much using the base defenses they use. What are they thinking not using a ridiculous made up striker position where they bulk up players and have them play out of position. What was I thinking.

You're missing my point. When we move guys to striker we immediately bulk them up over their natural weight hurting their natural coverage skills yet still aren't big enough to handle at point of attack. Just let DBs be DBs and let LBs be LBs. It's that simple. It's not rocket science. It's what the good teams actually do.
Who has been bulked up over their natural weight?

Yeah, you're right. The defenses at Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, Clemson, Georgia are all doing it wrong. They just don't win much using the base defenses they use. What are they thinking not using a ridiculous made up striker position where they bulk up players and have them play out of position. What was I thinking.

Teams do different things to account for the spread. Let’s use OSU since you pointed them out. They employ a 3 cb 1 safety starting lineup to battle the spread. Would you call that a classic base defense?

Advertisement
Teams do different things to account for the spread. Let’s use OSU since you pointed them out. They employ a 3 cb 1 safety starting lineup to battle the spread. Would you call that a classic base defense?

Yes, they start 4 DBs - Wade was the 3rd CB as a starter & he lined up in the safety position a lot of the time. Then when teams add more WRs, do you know what Ohio State does...wait for it...you'll never guess. They bring in more DBs. I know, it's groundbreaking stuff. I can't believe they don't use the invented position of striker who is neither a LB or DB. I have no idea how Ohio State wins so many games using more DBs when a set calls for it, while other times using more LBs based on opposing personnel.

It's truly shocking how innovative they and other top teams are.

Yes, they start 4 DBs - Wade was the 3rd CB as a starter & he lined up in the safety position a lot of the time. Then when teams add more WRs, do you know what Ohio State does...wait for it...you'll never guess. They bring in more DBs. I know, it's groundbreaking stuff. I can't believe they don't use the invented position of striker who is neither a LB or DB. I have no idea how Ohio State wins so many games using more DBs when a set calls for it, while other times using more LBs based on opposing personnel.

Amazing how Ohio St never gives up 40 or 50 points to teams like Iowa, Maryland and Purdue.

Advertisement
all 4-2-5 defenses has a striker but they have different names for it. This fanbase just get so caught up in the names of positions. Simmons at clemson was a safety that they moved to their hybrid position this past season. Bud foster called the position in his defense whip.

Bama plays mostly nickel and they use the star position. Osu tried out a sort of hybrid position this year. Nobody is just lining up in a 4-3 or 3-4 anymore

You are missing the point. Their base package is designed for 3 wide sets. Miami’s base package is designed for 3 wide sets. They just do it in a different way. And btw, Clemsons defense was the only one statistically better last year that you mentioned.

all 4-2-5 defenses has a striker but they have different names for it. This fanbase just get so caught up in the names of positions. Simmons at clemson was a safety that they moved to their hybrid position this past season. Bud foster called the position in his defense whip.

Bama plays mostly nickel and they use the star position. Osu tried out a sort of hybrid position this year. Nobody is just lining up in a 4-3 or 3-4 anymore

The difference is those schools don't change those players bodies to play striker. We bulk our kids up and start them against all competition. And you're wrong, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, Bama, all start in traditional 4-3 or 3-4, then move to nickel when called for. That's not even hard to understand.

Then they move to nickel / dime /etc. sets based on opposing personnel, and bring in additional DBs. That's when they get the fancy names like the "star" position. But again, the difference is it's just a fancy name, but they don't bulk them up, they're just traditional DBs. Where in our defense we have the "striker" who we change the type of player they are and their body type.

You are missing the point. Their base package is designed for 3 wide sets. Miami’s base package is designed for 3 wide sets. They just do it in a different way. And btw, Clemsons defense was the only one statistically better last year that you mentioned.

Oh no, you really believe that don't you. No, Wade started because he was too good to leave off the field and they wanted their 4 best DBs on the field. When teams went to 3 wide sets Ohio State still brought in an additional DB. This year with their 2 CBs gone they're going back to the traditional 2 and 2 because of the talent.

I'm sorry, I had no idea you didn't know that.

Advertisement
The difference is those schools don't change those players bodies to play striker. We bulk our kids up and start them against all competition. And you're wrong, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, Bama, all start in traditional 4-3 or 3-4, then move to nickel when called for. That's not even hard to understand.

Then they move to nickel / dime /etc. sets based on opposing personnel, and bring in additional DBs. That's when they get the fancy names like the "star" position. But again, the difference is it's just a fancy name, but they don't bulk them up, they're just traditional DBs. Where in our defense we have the "striker" who we change the type of player they are and their body type.
No you are wrong. Simmons is a safety that plays clemson hybrid LB position. Basically with him on the field they are a hybrid defense. And you have to take into a point your opponents. Basically every team in the acc is spread.

Big ten is mostly still pro style. And bama is in nickel defense over 80% of time so that’s more than switching when needed. And no striker has been forced to change their body. Frierson was the only one who had to add weight

Where's Amari Carter playing? Looked too stiff at Safety to me, and he always seemed a natural striker, even a true WLB if he bulked up a bit. We need Smith at Safety. Who the heck plays behind our starters if not him?

If JJ or Butch was here, Carter would be a LB. He has the skill set there, but he’s too undisciplined and stiff to play as a S. It’s like when Miami had Ray Ray play S all those years, and the NFL (49ers) finally wised up and put him at LB. Dude went from being a wash out to hanging around the league for a bit b/c of the switch.

Carter’s money is at a LB position, imo

Advertisement
Oh no, you really believe that don't you. No, Wade started because he was too good to leave off the field and they wanted their 4 best DBs on the field. When teams went to 3 wide sets Ohio State still brought in an additional DB. This year with their 2 CBs gone they're going back to the traditional 2 and 2 because of the talent.

I'm sorry, I had no idea you didn't know that.

That last sentence was a bit creepy. Did you think you were being funny?

No. I'd rather have them just sub in an additional DB when the opposing personnel calls for it. You know, like all the big time schools in college football do.
Besides the name. What's the difference between the DBs you mentioned and our strikers?

Pat on the back for them. For now we have strikers. Just the way it is Different strokes....

Gilbert needs to stay at Striker. He got toasted once. Besides that, he played very well in steed of Finley.

And I think I few people have already said this, but Amari is not good in coverage. So, move him to linebacker. He's bigger than half of our current backers. Why not?

Because... he's not a great tackler either?

Waiting to see the dude try to wrap up. Just once.

Advertisement
Back