Can anyone who's really dug into his offense explain this aspect:

2015 Baylor - 8th
2016 Baylor -44th
2017 FAU - 57th
2018 Houston - 21st
2019 FSU - 102nd
2020 Arkansas - 103rd
2021 Arkansas - 76th

These are his teams' 3rd down conversion %s. It doesn't appear to be a strength, but then he has a couple high level years.

There is a degree of correlation in bad 3rd down percentage and offensive penalties + negative plays...you can only scheme so much.

FSU in 2019 was the most penalized team in the country (130th)

Arkansas in 2020 was 81st.

Arkansas this year was 122nd.

Advertisement
This isn’t a perfect way to measure this, but it gives some context. Here are Briles rushing yards per game vs FBS schools numbers.

2015 Baylor - 3rd
2016 Baylor -15th
2017 FAU - 7th
2018 Houston - 24th
2019 FSU - 93rd
2020 Arkansas - 76th
2021 Arkansas - 19th

FSU running behind a high school offensive line.
Good stuff. He's multiple in the run and pass game. Briles would be a **** good hire!!

Did you watch the Chargers-Giants game yesterday?

There was a throw Justin Herbert made...on the run, chucked the fvckin ball 65 yards IN THE AIR on a rope...a ******* DIME into the hands of Jalen Guyton for a touchdown at the end of the half.

How in the FVCK does an offensive coordinator choose to throw bubble screens and everything under 5 yards with that monster arm under center?

Arroyo should be exiled for that.
I saw that and was thinking how many guys in the NFL can do that. We know Tua can't. how many guys in college can do that. we know TVD can do it.

Advertisement
Larry David Reaction GIF
Maybe, but they also know thus far it comes with a horrific run blocking OL for whatever reason. No OC loves to think about playcalling with a non-existent running game as a starting point. With Mario though, hopefully that will become a thing of the past in the next few years.

There is a degree of correlation in bad 3rd down percentage and offensive penalties + negative plays...you can only scheme so much.

FSU in 2019 was the most penalized team in the country (130th)

Arkansas in 2020 was 81st.

Arkansas this year was 122nd.
Right. It's usually an issue of getting behind schedule. And, the truth is I haven't watched Briles enough to have a credible opinion. I'm wondering if he approaches down and distance as "**** it" because his YPP are usually very good. I understand wanting an explosive offense. We also need one capable of sustaining drives. For those who have really dug into his playcalling and strategy, would love to learn more...

Advertisement
Larry David Reaction GIF

D$ said on the podcast there's legit interest from Joe Brady. Admittedly I haven't watched Whoo Pig at all this year, but I think with the budget we have for coordinators we can do better than Briles. Should have mother ****ers knocking down the door wanting to coach TVD and the weapons we have.
For the NFL coaches, you gotta wait.

As someone who watch every game of Arkansas, besides LSU, they were somewhat inconsistent on Offense. That could be because of K J Jefferson. He was good on the deep ball, but rather average on some other throws. Briles did a good job with the talent level. They really didn't have a second receiver, and they were running back by committee. I think he would do well here because TVD is a big upgrade over KJ as a passer.

As someone who watch every game of Arkansas, besides LSU, they were somewhat inconsistent on Offense. That could be because of K J Jefferson. He was good on the deep ball, but rather average on some other throws. Briles did a good job with the talent level. They really didn't have a second receiver, and they were running back by committee. I think he would do well here because TVD is a big upgrade over KJ as a passer.
Does he have more than one running play?

Right. It's usually an issue of getting behind schedule. And, the truth is I haven't watched Briles enough to have a credible opinion. I'm wondering if he approaches down and distance as "**** it" because his YPP are usually very good. I understand wanting an explosive offense. We also need one capable of sustaining drives. For those who have really dug into his playcalling and strategy, would leave to learn more...
I was going to say it's usually correlated with offensive efficiency and guys that are skewed with explosive plays tend to get exposed in the 3rd down conversion %.

I think Pittman is rebuilding that Arkansas OL, they were brutal before he got there. They're not good in penalties. Arkansas was 108 in TFL allowed and 55th in sacks allowed. It has to be attributed to those numbers.

They're one of the highest ranked teams in passing efficiency, yards per rush att, and strong yards per completion numbers.

The only other explanations would be predictable tendencies or just skewed execution compared to the rest of the downs.

Advertisement
Briles Jr. is looking rather unimpressive...

We are starting to sound like PSU singing Manny's defensive coordinator prowess... making excuses.
Lol I meeeeaaaannnnnn you could make some similar cases for Manny ("well when he was JUST the DC his defenses were pretty good" blah blah blah). But I do think objectively there's less concerns with Briles than there is with Manny. Your statement isn't totally crazy though.

Honestly though when you look at the potential OC pool, it's really not that impressive. Brady would have been the absolute home run but even then people were negging him.

After Brady you've either got:
1) a handful of good P5 coordinators with decent track records but some question marks (Briles, Longo, Grimes, etc)
2) some young coordinators at smaller programs that could be good but would see Miami as a BIG jump for them (Mumme, Sowder, Luney, etc)
3) position coaches / co-OCs that will get a shot eventually (Joey Halzle from UT, Kline from UCF, Joe Jon Finley from Oklahoma, etc)

All of the above, if hired, would probably result in a 100 page thread with mixed reviews.

Advertisement
He threw that U down upside down though before we beat the brakes off of him in '19

Just saying
And? He was a rival. If he just smiled and waved y’all would call him a *****.

you guys think this **** is gang signs. It’s meaningless Bull****.

good article about "how to defend kendal briles' offense"

this was year 2 of arkansas (2020) which was in the middle of the upward trend, 2021 being the huge jump.

also OP spelled his name wrong, it's kendal. Really hope we get this guy, he is a matchup nightmare for defenses and the acc coastal wouldn't stand a chance

Advertisement
Back