Kellen Winslow's Recruitment

Advertisement
LOL so his daddy was a racist.

Oh well, at least we got the benefit from it. Winslow Jr was a **** of a TE for us.

LOL so his daddy was a racist.

4.jpg

Dont think KWSr was racist he was just looking out for the long term aspect of Jr's career.

The coaching landscape in college now is somewhat different than it was when Jr graduated. Back then guys like Sumlin and David Shaw would have been lifers as a position coach or maybe a coordinator. Mainly used for recruiting but not used to run a program. Think about what was said about Charlie Strong.Paraphrasing.. It was said that he'd likely not get a job in the SEC because of his white wife.

Back at the time, KW Sr did a long radio interview explaining his involvement and motivation. Yeah, I think his racial motivation was twisted. But, he definitely had his son's interest at heart. I remember after listening to the interview, I had a much better, and more sympathetic view of his involvement. So, senior gets points from me for being a father who was closely involved with an important decision for his son, then stepping back after the decision was made, and letting it play out. He was never troublesome after signing day.

Advertisement
Dont think KWSr was racist he was just looking out for the long term aspect of Jr's career.

The coaching landscape in college now is somewhat different than it was when Jr graduated. Back then guys like Sumlin and David Shaw would have been lifers as a position coach or maybe a coordinator. Mainly used for recruiting but not used to run a program. Think about what was said about Charlie Strong.Paraphrasing.. It was said that he'd likely not get a job in the SEC because of his white wife.

Charlie Strong still doesn't have a job in the SEC but kids don't have a problem signing with the Gators. They passed him up for Will Muschamp..... lulz good move Gators

Ironically, that class finished strong after Butch Davis left and Coker came on. We got KWII, Gore, Parrish and Jovonny "Trauma Center" Ward.

IMO, the real reason Winslow didn't want his son going to Washington is because Rick Neuheisel was a scab during the NFL strike and Winslow hated him for it.

Ironically, that class finished strong after Butch Davis left and Coker came on. We got KWII, Gore, Parrish and Jovonny "Trauma Center" Ward.

IMO, the real reason Winslow didn't want his son going to Washington is because Rick Neuheisel was a scab during the NFL strike and Winslow hated him for it.

Also flipped Rocky Mcintosh if memory serves.

Charlie Strong still doesn't have a job in the SEC but kids don't have a problem signing with the Gators. They passed him up for Will Muschamp..... lulz good move Gators

He was already at Louisville

Advertisement
Winslow Sr. is a jackass and a racist. IIRC, he's now the the AD at Central State in Ohio, a black college.

And what's that suppose to mean. He's an ad at a black college has no correlation with being racist.

I just think they were comfortable with cj and our coaches , I was at camp the year he committed and the interaction between cj and winslow family was cool. Cj did work in the recruiting game.

Winslow Sr. is a jackass and a racist. IIRC, he's now the the AD at Central State in Ohio, a black college.

And what's that suppose to mean. He's an ad at a black college has no correlation with being racist.

I just think they were comfortable with cj and our coaches , I was at camp the year he committed and the interaction between cj and winslow family was cool. Cj did work in the recruiting game.

Get em Prop Joe.

Advertisement

He was already at Louisville

Like he wouldn't have left Louisville to coach UF? That's a little like saying Al Golden was already at temple, why come coach the canes. Because it's an obvious step up.

Regardless, Florida never even offered him a job, so it's not like he turned them down

Advertisement
What was unsaid in the article and a lot of what infuriated Winslow Sr was the underhandedness of NeuWeasel. As stated here the coaching landscape has changed REAL LOT in the last 10-12 years. Back then few minority coaches were in a decision-making positions. Yeah...there were assist-coaches but they had no say.A lot were just decoys for recruiting.

As to the point of what ****ed off Winslow Sr......when he went to Washington to check out if there were any black coaches in the decision making process he caught Rick Neuheisel off-guard. He had a couple of assist-coaches but none were really decision makers. What happened next according to reports is that Neuheisel brought in a person of authority who did not work in the football program and tried to present them as someone who was. That ****ed the elder Winslow off no end and he ended his visit with Neuheisel. When Neuheisel realized that it was over between him and Winslow Sr...he tried to do an end-run by going to Winslow Jr's mother to see if he could get her to sign the letter of consent. Bad move ! She referred him back to Senior as he was the one Jr..was apparently living with and they still had a good relationship.

When Winslow Sr. realized just how sneaky ole Rick had tried to be that pretty much nailed the door shut on Washington. Miami had Johnson as receivers-coach and Shannon as DC..both with decision making ability. I think Bobby Williams was at Mich. St at the time.

Yes, CJ was a helluva recruiter, especially with Louisiana. Blew a big hole in our recruiting when he left.

I remember meeting him in the VIP box at the OB after the '89 San Diego State game. He was a former Erickson guy and was visiting Dennis and Bob Bratkowski. Nice, down-to-earth guy. He had recruited Marshall Faulk from Louisiana to go all the way out there.

I remember the KWII recruitment fairly well; I followed it through the websites and media. I'm white and have no trouble with senior's statements. I might think the same way if I were in his shoes. He did feel that KWII was being rather immature in his interest in Washington, but that might have been something of a smokescreen.

What was unsaid in the article and a lot of what infuriated Winslow Sr was the underhandedness of NeuWeasel. As stated here the coaching landscape has changed REAL LOT in the last 10-12 years. Back then few minority coaches were in a decision-making positions. Yeah...there were assist-coaches but they had no say.A lot were just decoys for recruiting.

As to the point of what ****ed off Winslow Sr......when he went to Washington to check out if there were any black coaches in the decision making process he caught Rick Neuheisel off-guard. He had a couple of assist-coaches but none were really decision makers. What happened next according to reports is that Neuheisel brought in a person of authority who did not work in the football program and tried to present them as someone who was. That ****ed the elder Winslow off no end and he ended his visit with Neuheisel. When Neuheisel realized that it was over between him and Winslow Sr...he tried to do an end-run by going to Winslow Jr's mother to see if he could get her to sign the letter of consent. Bad move ! She referred him back to Senior as he was the one Jr..was apparently living with and they still had a good relationship.

When Winslow Sr. realized just how sneaky ole Rick had tried to be that pretty much nailed the door shut on Washington. Miami had Johnson as receivers-coach and Shannon as DC..both with decision making ability. I think Bobby Williams was at Mich. St at the time.

Did not read this post before I posted above. I didn't know about this incident at UW. So the public reasons that KW Senior stated might have not revealed the true issues. He said that he didn't want his son going there just because he bonded with one of the UW players, or something along those lines. Yeah, there was something about Neuheisel I never liked. He had this superclean persona, all-American boy type appearance and demeanor, kind of like John Denver without the music. Beneath it was lurking this slimy character.

Under that logic, all the non-traditionally black colleges with white coaches must mean those coaches are racist. Give me a break. I didn't realize until last night, when I was reading the bio of former Duke coach, Fred Goldsmith, that he was an assistant for a number of years at FAMU. I think that might have been in the '70's. So, he was the only non-racist coach at FAMU? Crazy stuff.

Advertisement
Back