Kellen Winslow's Recruitment

I still think it's a little racist to choose a school JUST because of the skin color of certain coaches and not even give another school a chance because their coaches are white, but whatever. I guess it was different back then and all that. Honestly I don't really give a ****, I'm just glad we ended up with a **** of a tight end.

Advertisement
This was also KW's way of publicly stating that Neuhaesal was a weasel. Dude had an awful rep as being a scumbag.

What was unsaid in the article and a lot of what infuriated Winslow Sr was the underhandedness of NeuWeasel. As stated here the coaching landscape has changed REAL LOT in the last 10-12 years. Back then few minority coaches were in a decision-making positions. Yeah...there were assist-coaches but they had no say.A lot were just decoys for recruiting.

As to the point of what ****ed off Winslow Sr......when he went to Washington to check out if there were any black coaches in the decision making process he caught Rick Neuheisel off-guard. He had a couple of assist-coaches but none were really decision makers. What happened next according to reports is that Neuheisel brought in a person of authority who did not work in the football program and tried to present them as someone who was. That ****ed the elder Winslow off no end and he ended his visit with Neuheisel. When Neuheisel realized that it was over between him and Winslow Sr...he tried to do an end-run by going to Winslow Jr's mother to see if he could get her to sign the letter of consent. Bad move ! She referred him back to Senior as he was the one Jr..was apparently living with and they still had a good relationship.

When Winslow Sr. realized just how sneaky ole Rick had tried to be that pretty much nailed the door shut on Washington. Miami had Johnson as receivers-coach and Shannon as DC..both with decision making ability. I think Bobby Williams was at Mich. St at the time.

Good stuff man

Advertisement
Back