Kellen Winslow II arrested on burglary charges

Problem is, most inmates have mental issues of some kind. Should they ALL be released to hospitals?
Of course not but he may be suffering from something new and unintented to athletes, boxers, etc. Not only is this different but needs to be evaluated and studied. However, like I said, if it's a sickness known, give them the proper medication in jail.

Advertisement
Wait, there is no more psychiatric hospitals? This is new to me, I've never heard that. That's hard to believe but if true, then obviously he can't be on the street. I find it hard to believe that there are no more hospitals or homes (especially private) for mental patients
There are several forensic psychiatric hospitals in Florida.

Wait, there is no more psychiatric hospitals? This is new to me, I've never heard that. That's hard to believe but if true, then obviously he can't be on the street. I find it hard to believe that there are no more hospitals or homes (especially private) for mental patients
VAST majority have been shut down over the past forty years. Im in CA and there are not even remotely enough beds to house the mentally ill. There are only five state hospitals in entire state!! Not sure where you are but if you don’t see it every day w homeless population etc...congrats

Advertisement
uh..

The report states that Winslow Jr. did not meet the terms of his bail when while working out at a gym in the San Diego area last month, he started touching himself and asked an elderly woman if she liked it.

You guys should know how bad CTE can get on some of these athletes.

This is obviously not the 19 year old Kellen Winslow. If you really think he was seeking out 70 yr olds back then,...he's not the only one that needs help.

VAST majority have been shut down over the past forty years. Im in CA and there are not even remotely enough beds to house the mentally ill. There are only five state hospitals in entire state!! Not sure where you are but if you don’t see it every day w homeless population etc...congrats
That's crazy, I live in South Florida. Haven't really paid attention but haven't heard it. I live in a rural area, so I don't see many homeless

this should be a subject that needs to be confidential. I know the law, but sometimes one has to look at it and treat it in a sensitive way. Ive looked at several posts but its complicated all around.

First, I addressed the issue of the contrast between his sexual preferences and his general lack of self-control in my prior post.

Second, yes, there is a ton of research that has shown that certain types of crime (pedophilia, rape, animal abuse) are heavily and statistically impacted by physical or psychological trauma. Again, there is not an EXCUSE there, but an attempt to understand what causes the aberrant behavior.

In addition, it would help to factor in whether "punishment" (i.e., jail time) would have any impact on changing the behavior in such an individual. Sure, it is possible for one who commits theft to be "rehabilitated" from incarceration, but we have to honestly consider whether jail time will ever change a pedophile, a rapist, or an animal abuser.

Again, please differentiate between the concept of "excusing" a person from a crime and an honest discussion of what influences someone to commit a particular type of crime, and whether they will ever be rehabilitated from committing that type of crime again.

If Kellen is convicted of the crimes of which he is accused, he probably needs to be locked up just to protect other people, but being in jail will probably never address what is wrong with him in a way that rehabilitates him.
You can’t have these intellectual type discussions on a board like this.

Advertisement
Winslow sounds like a seriously sick, ill dude. It’s unfortunate, but prison is what folks like this need, and society needs for them. The emotional treatment model for felons seems flawed to begin with. Almost all felons have some sort of mitigating factor, be it impairment, hardship, excuse, sob story or whatever. And yet, they violated society’s code and pay the price. They don’t need meds and shrinks. Cell doors is okay. Cheaper, too.

Listen
This is my profession (I work for company that produces meds that treat mentally ill). I’m not here to defend psychiatrists....believe me they are mostly apathetic to patient care especially in a county, parole outpatient setting or jail...I get it..you make a fair point!

However, because the left closed down insane asylums (locked mental health institutions)....the choice is leaving this dude roaming the street and HOPING he stays compliant on meds or jail.
It’s that simple.

The likelihood is that he is GUILTY and needs
To be incarcerated. To your point, jail is not ideal for mentally ill but until we revisit the idea of locked facilities to house these people, jail is better than dude roaming the streets searching for next victim imho

What are you talking about? http://www.povertyinsights.org/2013...al-health-policies-cause-todays-homelessness/

Lulz at jail Drs and meds. They are the ones that couldn't make it in the real world or even have issues in their past. Also, they do NOT care about the health of inmates. If this man is truly mentally ill, jail is the last place he needs to be. However, if he is found guilty and sane, lock him up.

So many of you have no idea what you are talking about.

Advertisement
First, I addressed the issue of the contrast between his sexual preferences and his general lack of self-control in my prior post.

Second, yes, there is a ton of research that has shown that certain types of crime (pedophilia, rape, animal abuse) are heavily and statistically impacted by physical or psychological trauma. Again, there is not an EXCUSE there, but an attempt to understand what causes the aberrant behavior.

In addition, it would help to factor in whether "punishment" (i.e., jail time) would have any impact on changing the behavior in such an individual. Sure, it is possible for one who commits theft to be "rehabilitated" from incarceration, but we have to honestly consider whether jail time will ever change a pedophile, a rapist, or an animal abuser.

Again, please differentiate between the concept of "excusing" a person from a crime and an honest discussion of what influences someone to commit a particular type of crime, and whether they will ever be rehabilitated from committing that type of crime again.

If Kellen is convicted of the crimes of which he is accused, he probably needs to be locked up just to protect other people, but being in jail will probably never address what is wrong with him in a way that rehabilitates him.

I don't think we're really differing here beyond where we think the science currently stands with CTE.

The other debates are valid but then you're really entering the realm of whether you think the judicial reactions to these things should be punitive, rehabilitative or just a separation from society in the interest of the safety of society (or what % of each of the prior you'd like to accept). You're also going down the path of trying to ascertain the culpability one has over their own actions once we would accept that they have a specific condition such as the supposed effects of CTE.

Again, all valid discussions and ones that would require a larger forum than here but I still think we're pretty far off from even beginning to assume or theorize that Winslow's supposed actions are directly correlated to football.

Advertisement
So many of you have no idea what you are talking about.

Thank you. I know first hand and it's pathetic how human beings are treated. I understand they made mistakes but they deserve proper treatment. The healthcare and money is basically non existent and outside of immediate life being threatened, it takes going through layers of red tape do get anything done. Most of the time, that's not even enough.

What is our ranking going to be in 2019.. Yes, hes a sick puppy. I saw that through out his career. He always had a big mouth, me. me, it was always about himself. we can go all night and analyse this matter until we are colored in the face. lets assemble the musicians.

Advertisement
Back