kehoe/Stoutland

Advertisement
Not saying that Kehoe doesn't need to go, but our fans are just hilarious.

Everyone on here loves Stoutland now, but weren't crazy about him when he was here.

Truer words have never been typed. Same goes for Curtis Johnson. Now that he's being looked at for a HC position, everyone is up in arms that we "let him go", but when he was here, he was the most useless WR coach we've ever had and he was only good because Andre Johnson, Santana Moss, and Reggie Wayne made him look good.

We literally have the WOAT fanbase in the country.

Don't forget about Chud ... He was criticized while here and his career has been on an upward trend since he left. Jason Laconfora was on the radio this morning mentioning that he may be up for an NFL head coaching gig. Good for him.

Everyone on here loves Stoutland now, but weren't crazy about him when he was here.

Truer words have never been typed. Same goes for Curtis Johnson. Now that he's being looked at for a HC position, everyone is up in arms that we "let him go", but when he was here, he was the most useless WR coach we've ever had and he was only good because Andre Johnson, Santana Moss, and Reggie Wayne made him look good.

Don't forget about Chud ... He was criticized while here and his career has been on an upward trend since he left. Jason Laconfora was on the radio this morning mentioning that he may be up for an NFL head coaching gig. Good for him.

I think Chud's a bad example because I think he may be a better coach for the pros than college. Whupple may be the same. Johnson and Stoutland fit the bill. Bottom line is if we're not winning, some coach (or more likely multiple) is going to be on the fans' firing block. Firing Kehoe would be universally supported here but it would be a concerning move actually. I'm not too keen on seeing guys hired and fired a year later--we've seen that recently and it sucked. I'd rather see patience paid off with productivity. But if Golden himself becomes convinced that this was the wrong move, it does have to happen.

LOL. I remember that quite well. People were calling him a bum of a coach. All of a "suddenly" he is great again. I guess our coaches are just like our players. They get tons better when they leave lol.

Advertisement
Quick question: How involved was Fisch with this hire? From what I recall, Fisch was hired in early January, but couldn't really commit to the job due to the playoffs. Kehoe was also hired in January, but after Fisch. What makes sense to me is to have the OC handpick his OL coach, since a lot of what he wants to accomplish is dependent on the line and what types of blocking techniques they employ. I don't ever recall Kehoe and Fisch having any connection whatsoever...

Nah, everyone in this thread will say that they thought Stoutland was a Bama-level OL coach when he was here.

Nah, everyone in this thread will say that they thought Stoutland was a Bama-level OL coach when he was here.

I was a fan of the Stoutland hire and couldn't understand the vitriol the guy was receiving during his time here. I remember posters putting up sack numbers as evidence he couldn't coach, but in reality, rewatch those sacks and calculate how many of those are due to the OL or due to the QB hesitating and floating backwards INTO the edge rush...

I was a fan of the Stoutland hire and couldn't understand the vitriol the guy was receiving during his time here. I remember posters putting up sack numbers as evidence he couldn't coach, but in reality, rewatch those sacks and calculate how many of those are due to the OL or due to the QB hesitating and floating backwards INTO the edge rush...
I am glad yet another person sees the hypocrisy.

Advertisement
Don't forget that Golden had retained Stoutland, but he left to Bama, which necessitated Golden hiring Kehoe. So, uhm, yeah, Stoutland > Kehoe.

That being said, Kehoe would have looked a lot better with Trent Richardson running behind our OL ...

Truth. That YPC is probably misleading. Watching Bama tons of times Richardson gets at least 3 YAC on every carry. He's gotten hit plenty of times behind the line and still manage to pick up 4 yards or so. It's by far his best attribute.

For the most part, most fans here and all over the internet, don't have a ****** clue.

I talked to a former NFL coach and player who coaches line and he said Art was a fine coach and recruiter. Said that unless you are there everyday, you really don't have a clue as to what is going on behind the scenes.

I agree.

Don't forget that Golden had retained Stoutland, but he left to Bama, which necessitated Golden hiring Kehoe. So, uhm, yeah, Stoutland > Kehoe.

That being said, Kehoe would have looked a lot better with Trent Richardson running behind our OL ...

We have Lamar Miller back there...it isn't like we're trotting out a scrub, bruh.

For the most part, most fans here and all over the internet, don't have a ****** clue.

I talked to a former NFL coach and player who coaches line and he said Art was a fine coach and recruiter. Said that unless you are there everyday, you really don't have a clue as to what is going on behind the scenes.

I agree.

So why couldn't Art Kehoe get another freakin' college job? Why are guys like Stoutland getting hired by Alabama..and Art Kehoe is coaching in the UFL?

I talked to a guy who has been around the Miami program just about everyday for 30 years and won a national championship there. He thought Randy was a great coach, and still does.

Let me guess though, you, of course, know Randy is a ****** coach.

Advertisement

We have Lamar Miller back there...it isn't like we're trotting out a scrub, bruh.

You need a yard ... Richardson or Miller? Our own staff wasn't even putting Lamar on the field for those plays.

If we had converted some of those, you'd see less criticism of Kehoe.

I agree.

That may very well be the case. I agree that fans don't know a fraction of what coaches know.

In that same vein, however, it's relevant to note that after leaving Ole Miss in 2007 Kehoe was not hired for any full time college OL coaching position for three years. So coaches...not fans, but coaches...didn't think enough of Art Kehoe to offer him a job for three straight years. That's telling. UM shouldn't have a coach who's not valued by any college football program outside of Coral Gables.

Our last OL coach was well enough thought of to be hired away by arguably the best program in college football. Our current OL coach couldn't get a job in college football for three years (except for a one season interim position at LaTech filling in for a season for the full time OL coach who was seriously ill). And again, that reflects the opinion of other coaches, not fans.

So we're left with an OL coach who no HC outside of Coral Gables seems to want, coaching an OL that experienced a significant statistical decline. Not exactly a fact set that says "well done".

Not saying that your general point about our fans is wrong, but for the most part Stoutland was viewed as a good coach. That is only more solidified watching our regression this year with perhaps better players/depth.

Advertisement
The line was underwhelming with Stoutland as well, and this year's line was about as inconsistent as last year's. The only difference with this year's line is it had a ton of experience coming back, so the expectations were higher (rightfully so).

I'm not a fan of Kehoe, never have been. We've never had an offensive line that could just line up and run the ball, not even in 2001. Remember in 2002 when we played that death match with FSU and Darnell Docket was talking afterwards how our running game was a fraud. Then we lost to Ohio State, in part, because our running game was a fraud. For all the great things Willis did, the offensive line would get whipped when it really mattered on the ground.

I agree.

That may very well be the case. I agree that fans don't know a fraction of what coaches know.

In that same vein, however, it's relevant to note that after leaving Ole Miss in 2007 Kehoe was not hired for any full time college OL coaching position for three years. So coaches...not fans, but coaches...didn't think enough of Art Kehoe to offer him a job for three straight years. That's telling. UM shouldn't have a coach who's not valued by any college football program outside of Coral Gables.

Our last OL coach was well enough thought of to be hired away by arguably the best program in college football. Our current OL coach couldn't get a job in college football for three years (except for a one season interim position at LaTech filling in for a season for the full time OL coach who was seriously ill). And again, that reflects the opinion of other coaches, not fans.

So we're left with an OL coach who no HC outside of Coral Gables seems to want, coaching an OL that experienced a significant statistical decline. Not exactly a fact set that says "well done".
+ Rep

Advertisement
Back