kehoe/Stoutland

Advertisement
For the most part, most fans here and all over the internet, don't have a ****** clue.

I talked to a former NFL coach and player who coaches line and he said Art was a fine coach and recruiter. Said that unless you are there everyday, you really don't have a clue as to what is going on behind the scenes.

I agree.

That may very well be the case. I agree that fans don't know a fraction of what coaches know.

In that same vein, however, it's relevant to note that after leaving Ole Miss in 2007 Kehoe was not hired for any full time college OL coaching position for three years. So coaches...not fans, but coaches...didn't think enough of Art Kehoe to offer him a job for three straight years. That's telling. UM shouldn't have a coach who's not valued by any college football program outside of Coral Gables.

Our last OL coach was well enough thought of to be hired away by arguably the best program in college football. Our current OL coach couldn't get a job in college football for three years (except for a one season interim position at LaTech filling in for a season for the full time OL coach who was seriously ill). And again, that reflects the opinion of other coaches, not fans.

So we're left with an OL coach who no HC outside of Coral Gables seems to want, coaching an OL that experienced a significant statistical decline. Not exactly a fact set that says "well done".

Kehoe got called out in Feldman's book Meat Market for lazy recruiting at Miss too.

Man I've been calling out Kehoe for his recruiting since 2003. Lazy *** ****. And tries to be clever to cover up his laziness. Canadians, kids with misformed achilles tendons, all sorts of weirdness. Plus his being a good quote seems to cover for him being a crappy coach. If Butch didn't rehire him, how much credit do you think he deserves for the '01 line?

For the most part, most fans here and all over the internet, don't have a ****** clue.

I talked to a former NFL coach and player who coaches line and he said Art was a fine coach and recruiter. Said that unless you are there everyday, you really don't have a clue as to what is going on behind the scenes.

I agree.

That may very well be the case. I agree that fans don't know a fraction of what coaches know.

In that same vein, however, it's relevant to note that after leaving Ole Miss in 2007 Kehoe was not hired for any full time college OL coaching position for three years. So coaches...not fans, but coaches...didn't think enough of Art Kehoe to offer him a job for three straight years. That's telling. UM shouldn't have a coach who's not valued by any college football program outside of Coral Gables.

Our last OL coach was well enough thought of to be hired away by arguably the best program in college football. Our current OL coach couldn't get a job in college football for three years (except for a one season interim position at LaTech filling in for a season for the full time OL coach who was seriously ill). And again, that reflects the opinion of other coaches, not fans.

So we're left with an OL coach who no HC outside of Coral Gables seems to want, coaching an OL that experienced a significant statistical decline. Not exactly a fact set that says "well done".

Kehoe got called out in Feldman's book Meat Market for lazy recruiting at Miss too.

I forgot until you just brought it up, but yeah I remember reading that in the book. Good recall!

Advertisement
As of now it looks like he's staying on board.
I guarantee you that Golden is re-evaluating the good, the bad and the ugly WITH his coaches... Coaches will get feedback and will be expected to adjust. So let's get behind Coach Kehoe and our staff and hope they take it to the next level. Trust me, eventhough Kehoe is a cane I had my hopes up to get Pat Ruel..... But Kehoe is our coach... And I want CONTINUITY with this staff; so let's give the man some good vibes and hope he adjust for the better... Let's see where we stand in 12 months. It's all about the U baby...

If there is a noticeable drop off, if we don't perform like we should next season given one full year of a staff and getting rid of clock punchers, we should be looking for new parts. I am sure that Golden knows what's going on and what to do.

As of now it looks like he's staying on board.
I guarantee you that Golden is re-evaluating the good, the bad and the ugly WITH his coaches... Coaches will get feedback and will be expected to adjust. So let's get behind Coach Kehoe and our staff and hope they take it to the next level. Trust me, eventhough Kehoe is a cane I had my hopes up to get Pat Ruel..... But Kehoe is our coach... And I want CONTINUITY with this staff; so let's give the man some good vibes and hope he adjust for the better... Let's see where we stand in 12 months. It's all about the U baby...

Hasn't Pat Ruel been on Carroll's staff in Seattle these past two years?

Advertisement
Not saying that Kehoe doesn't need to go, but our fans are just hilarious.

Everyone on here loves Stoutland now, but weren't crazy about him when he was here.

Speak for yourself. I was a huge Kehoe fan when he was here and I told ppl we were screwed when he left even though everybody tried to make it seem like no big loss

WAY too many other variables involved in rushing ypg

Accomplishing nothing with this thread.

Agreed. Way too many other things come into play with rushing stats to judge an O-line coach by that. Like everyone else, not disagreeing that Stoutland is better than Kehoe, but your "evidence" should not be based on those stats.

Jacory probably had the biggest increase in QB rating out of anyone in the country since last season (just my guess, too lazy to look it up, but I'm sure it's close). Does that mean Jedd Fisch is the best QB coach in all the land? Hardly.

Not sure if serious.

You are aware that Fisch was actually considered to be far and away one of the best QB coaches in the NFL, right?

Advertisement

Agreed. Way too many other things come into play with rushing stats to judge an O-line coach by that. Like everyone else, not disagreeing that Stoutland is better than Kehoe, but your "evidence" should not be based on those stats.

Jacory probably had the biggest increase in QB rating out of anyone in the country since last season (just my guess, too lazy to look it up, but I'm sure it's close). Does that mean Jedd Fisch is the best QB coach in all the land? Hardly.

Not sure if serious.

You are aware that Fisch was actually considered to be far and away one of the best QB coaches in the NFL, right?

Considered by who? I never heard that anywhere. He'd only been a QB coach in the NFL for 1 year (with the Seahawks) prior to joining UM. Before that he was with Minnesota and before that was a WR coach, offensive assistant, etc. So his 1 year with a veteran Matt Hasselbeck allowed him to be "considered far and away one of the best QB coaches in the NFL?" Yeah, I dunno about that. I know some great coaches have praised Fisch, and I think it's been evident after this year he deserved the praise, but not sure where you're getting that from.

Not sure if serious.

Considered by who? I never heard that anywhere. He'd only been a QB coach in the NFL for 1 year (with the Seahawks) prior to joining UM. Before that he was with Minnesota and before that was a WR coach, offensive assistant, etc. So his 1 year with a veteran Matt Hasselbeck allowed him to be "considered far and away one of the best QB coaches in the NFL?" Yeah, I dunno about that. I know some great coaches have praised Fisch, and I think it's been evident after this year he deserved the praise, but not sure where you're getting that from.

No offense, but if you hadn't heard that prior to now, you must not have been paying very close attention to the assistant searches last year. Fisch's primary drawback was that he had been underwhelming in his year of playcalling at Minnesota, but that risk was said to be offset by all of the recognition he'd received in the QB development department.

No offense, but if you hadn't heard that prior to now, you must not have been paying very close attention to the assistant searches last year. Fisch's primary drawback was that he had been underwhelming in his year of playcalling at Minnesota, but that risk was said to be offset by all of the recognition he'd received in the QB development department.

Please show me once instance of that and I'll believe you. I followed the off-season hires as close as anyone. I don't see how 1 year of NFL QB coaching experience with a veteran QB can translate into "one of the best QB coaches in the NFL." Like I said above, I saw plenty of praise for him as a coach, but none specifically as a QB coach. In fact, most of what I saw was praise for him as a WR coach in the NFL.

Here's a link with all the notable quotes we all read about Jedd when he got hired: http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011411aab.html

Nobody proclaims him to be a top QB coach.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think Stoutland was one of the most overrated coaches we had. Yeah he recruited well, but I thought his lines were often penalized and underperfomed.

I agree with the general notion of this thread. Kehoe seems like a clear downgrade.

But I don't think the stats are clear proof of that. As has been noted, those numbers benefit from TR being a beast of a TB. He probably gets more YAC than any other back in college.

I think Stoutland was one of the most overrated coaches we had. Yeah he recruited well, but I thought his lines were often penalized and underperfomed.

LT 64 Jason Fox Soph. 6-6 265
79 Chris Barney Soph. 6-5 340

LG 72 Andrew Bain Sr. 6-3 330
67 Tyrone Byrd Jr. 6-5 295

C 70 A.J. Trump Soph. 6-3 294
65 Matt Pipho Soph. 6-7 290

RG 71 Derrick Morse Sr. 6-4 326
76 Chris Rutledge Jr. 6-5 325

RT 77 Reggie Youngblood Jr. 6-5 305
73 Cyrim Wimbs Sr. 6-3 335

It's not entirely accurate but it gives at least a taste of the talent at the position (recruited by Kehoe, no less). Come on...

I agree.

I forgot until you just brought it up, but yeah I remember reading that in the book. Good recall!

I'm not as old as I... wait... what were we talking about?

Yeah, I'll never forget the part at the end where Kehoe basically lied and skipped a Florida HS and Ole Miss lost out on a real good kid they could have had.

Advertisement
Back