Keep Building.

Face it, the establishment is against us and always has been since we had the nerve to challenge their golden boys like Nebraska and Oklahoma with a bunch of *gasp* minorities from bad neighborhoods. That means Refs, NCAA, media, the whole lot. The positive side of that is that we keep our nose squeaky clean.

Advertisement
Also forgot to add, that Tate being used as a Zone Read QB in the Red Zone has to be a wrinkle in this offense.

Running him outside is a mistake, he doesn't have lateral quickness to escape while running to the sideline to but in the Zone read reading the DE/LB with his quick area burst going foward he's good for a nice 7-8yd gain on a run vs a Defense that isn't expecting it.
I fee like they’re setting that up with some of the packages being used. Or possibly a double pass

We had the shots there offensively. Jarren left a few on the field. Sacks didn’t help obviously, but we had guys open all night. I mean all night long!

It isn’t just the sacks, it’s the pressure he felt ALL ******* NIGHT. Guy had no time to throw. Aaron Rodgers would have struggled behind that OL that night.

I HATE losing to UF, tough fckin loss, especially considering they're really not that good of a team.

With that said we didn't do enough to win, we had every opportunity to win & the Offense simply couldn't pull it out.

Some thoughts: Offense

- QB play was solid but too safe, not enough shots taken down the field which is understandable given it being Jarren's very first start, but I felt like we didn't challenge their secondary enough. OBVIOUSLY a lot of that had to do with OL play & being under duress all game long, but I still feel there were adjustments that could've been made to help the OL & slow down the pass rush. We needed to chip block more on the edge & move the pocket for Jarren letting him get outside & get the ball out of his hands quicker. We didn't run enough quick slants, hitches & dig routes. There were plays to be had vs UF's secondary, we left a lot of plays on the field out there.

- OL play particularly at the Tackles spot was overwhelmed. Zion & Campbell really struggled, I felt John got beat a lot but also had some good plays where he held his own. When he was able to get his feet under him & push the defender down the field he did well, but he had I believe 3-4 false starts penalties clearly due to the fact they were jumping the snap count & he was trying to get a beat on the rush. Zion looked like a True Freshman LT. If he's going to remain there we need to really help him out on his side with TE chip & quicker routes that get the ball out of his hands faster. I liked what I saw from Donaldson & Scaife, Gaynor had a bad snap late but played well most of the game.

- RB play was great from Deejay, he was by far our best offensive player on the field, he ran tough, with explosion & was leader for the offense. I wish we would've gave him the ball more, UF couldn't tackle him all night, he was a real problem out of the Wildcat & for whatever reason our best offensive plays all came from the Wildcat formation lol. Cam had a good run on the 60 yarder that of course got called back, the refs fcked us on that IMO but other than that he didn't play well. He's an outside runner, he's not a shifty jump cutter, he's a north & south straight line runner that if he gets a crease can make a big run, but he's not an inside runner by any means. We need Lingard to get healthy & get out there, his speed & homerun hitting ability is needed & when is Robert Burns ever going to get a snap in a game? We can't keep just having 2 backs every season, if he's fckin healthy put him out there & let him run please.

- TE play was very good from Brevin, he was the 2nd best player on the offense & accept that one dropped pass, he played very well. Mallory seemed to let the moment get to him, couldn't catch a thing, I don't think it's going to be a problem, but he's gotta step up as the season progresses, we need some big time production out of that kid this year & I'm still high on his ability. Just catch the ball kid. Michael Irvin JR, again if he's healthy play him. Also, what happened to the 2 TE sets? We barely ran them...

- WR group. My initial thought is due to how bad the OL was pass protecting it's too difficult to make a fair assessment, however JT4 had a very frustrating drop in the end zone vs Henderson, it was a good route, he just simply couldn't catch it. He had other routes where he had beat the DB & was open but again, the QB was under duress all night & the ball just wasn't coming out quick enough. I liked what I saw from KJ, felt we should've got him the ball more on quick routes & wished we would've taken a shot down the field with him in a one on one, he was beating Marco Wilson all night. Also, Enos... Please give the Jet Sweeps to JT4 or Pope ONLY. No disrespect to KJ but he's not a shifty make you miss type WR, he's a straight line speed guy.

Overall Offensive play calling; We need to get the WR's more integrated in this Offense, 214yds passing is not good, YES I KNOW THE OL DIDN'T GIVE THE QB TIME, but there are still things that can be done to diversify the offense & get the ball to our playmakers. What the fck is the sense in having JT4, KJ, Harley, Hightower, Pope, Wiggins, Payton & Njoku and not utilize them? We need to play out of the gun at least 60% of the snaps on O, too much under center ball. SPREAD THE FIELD OUT, USE FORMATIONS TO PULL DEFENDERS OUT OF THE BOX PLEASE? Also, can I get a Wheel route with Deejay or Cam one time? Every pass to the back doesn't have to be a telegraphed screen play. I'm expecting improvements by UNC & the rest of the season.

CLEAN UP THE PENALTIES! A lot of those penalties were complete horsesh*t from the refs, like the 2 Defensive PI's on Blades & Rome Finley & the bullsh*t holding call on the 60yd run, but even so still we played way too undisciplined, way too many Delay of game penalties & false start penalties, that comes from an unorganzied offense that is rattled by the moment. We MUST get that sh*t cleaned up though.

Defense:

They performed well, Run Defense did a fantastic job shutting them down only allowing 52yds rushing & kept Perine completely contained. They also didn't let Frank's gets loose much except for one play that should've been a sack if Rousseau wraps him up.

Pass Defense IMO was very good, aside from 2 big plays by Kadarius Toney (told yall shut him down, you shut the whole thing down) & that deep ball to Hammond. On that play, Frierson gave him a free release & had bad depth with his feet he got beat off the line & doesn't have the recovery speed to catch up to a kid like that, he needed to use his arm length to jam him at the line & played him outside pushing him towards Safety help, other than that he played well that was a great PBU on 3rd down by him & he got into the backfield early in the game getting a good TFL, that's where he'll excel as an in-Box Striker in short area coverage. But other than those 2 plays I felt the secondary played very well, Al Blades was very good in coverage IMO, I knew he was going to ball this season & he's only going to get better, that PI on him was bogus AF that was literally perfect coverage.

- Safety play was good not great, once they gel they'll be much better. As the president of the Amari Carter fan club I was of course happy with how well he played, he didn't play perfect but he showed something in that game, he has more range than everybody thinks he does & once he & Gurvan strengthen their communication on the backend I think we'll see big time play from both, that was a great INT on his part & don't act shocked when my boy ends up with 3 or 4 more this season, I'm telling yall he's gonna be good for us. Gurvan took a few bad angles particularly on that long run by Toney, AC5 did too, they both missed tackles (which was a problem early on) but AC started making some good Tackles late. Gurvan otherwise played well, he can tackle & when he knows what to do he's a missle out there, they both just need some time. Hopefully we can get Bolden in soon because we'll need his athleticism out there.

Last year the most pass yards we gave up in any game the whole season was 222yds total that's it, if we tackle Toney on the screen & play better coverage on the Hammond pass, we would've been well under the 254yds we gave up vs UF which is **** good as is considering we lost 2 starting Safeties, a staring CB & was down in depth with Ivey & Bolden being out, not to mention losing 2 DB's before the season to transfer. Our Pass Defense is ELITE, I'm not afraid to say it, if only allowing 254yds with 2INT's is the "worst" they play this year then I'll take that all **** day!

- The interior DL did great IMO, I really liked what I saw from Ford & Bethel, they were stout up front, not much interior pressure was created but they were great in the run game. Patchan, Garvin, Hill & Rousseau did a good job forcing Franks out side of the pocket & maintaing contain on the edge, Rousseau IMO was the most disruptive & should've had 2 sacks if he wraps up. We need to generate way more pass rush off the edge though, it's necessary for the success of the Defense that we have heavy pressure from the DE's.

- The LB group didn't play their best game, Shaq was good I need to rewatch again to reevaluate fully how they looked. I thought they looked good vs the run, but in Blitzing situations they just weren't get there enough, not that it's entirely their fault but I'm used to seeing them get after the QB & get in the backfield a lot more. Like I said need to reevaluate again.

- Special Teams was good in tackling, they didn't let any big returns happen, I liked our Punting & Bubba Baxa was good except for the missed FG. The fake FG run was good too, another bullsh*t holding call from the refs. Every time we made a big play the refs made sure they fcked us smfh.

JT4... JUST LET THE BALL GO MAN. We gifted them a TD because of that.

Overall, despite 14 penalties for 118yds & all the offensive mishaps we still had multiple chances to win, we unfortunately didn't but we fought & were not intimidated one bit by UF, we fought til the end & that's an improvement from last year. We should've won that **** game, we beat ourselves smh. We need to get the penalties cleaned up, we need to work on tackling & we absolutely need to get that OT spots solved. Idk what, but we need to do something to help Zion & John, growing pains I understand but giving up 10 sacks is a recipe for disaster. If we plan on winning 10 games this year WE MUST SOLVE THE OL PROBLEM.

The jury is still out but I saw some good things from this team, I still think we're in for a good season just need to to get some things fixed quick. But it ain't nowhere near over yet, we can a make a big comeback statement by beating a bad UNC team on the road, just keep building.
Excellent post, El.

Advertisement
I don’t think Zion played as terrible as people are saying... he got beat bad on multiple occasions but I saw him hold his own on multiple occasions as well. He played about as good as Jarren Williams honestly which wasnt good enough.

Jarren has to help the offense out, there were wide open check downs he missed bc the game was too big for him. There were opportunities to challenge the cbs with enough time to throw the **** ball and he held on to it taking a sack. The Oline has to help him out as well of course but **** when they do make a play.

I agree Enos could’ve done some things differently but at the same time he called plenty of plays that would’ve gave us an opportunity to win the game if the execution was there.

On defense the starting dline did great in run support but I need to see more from Ford and Bethel when it comes to pressuring QB or simply just penetrating the backfield. Also I want to see Rousseau start because he’s our best pass rusher. Patchan is solid but doesn’t have the freakish athleticism you get from having a player like Rousseau on the field.

I think the linebackers main job was to spy or just play containment Shaq and Pinckney did a good job of stopping their running backs from making big plays..

One linebacker I’m just ready to be replaced out of the starting rotation is Zach McCloud... he just doesn’t have it. If Patrick Joyner was still healthy McCloud would already be on the bench but even now it’s time to just role with Sam Brooks in the starting line up imo.

I HATE losing to UF, tough fckin loss, especially considering they're really not that good of a team.

With that said we didn't do enough to win, we had every opportunity to win & the Offense simply couldn't pull it out.

- QB play was solid but too safe, not enough shots taken down the field which is understandable given it being Jarren's very first start, but I felt like we didn't challenge their secondary enough. OBVIOUSLY a lot of that had to do with OL play & being under duress all game long, but I still feel there were adjustments that could've been made to help the OL & slow down the pass rush. We needed to chip block more on the edge & move the pocket for Jarren letting him get outside & get the ball out of his hands quicker. We didn't run enough quick slants, hitches & dig routes. There were plays to be had vs UF's secondary, we left a lot of plays on the field out there.

- OL play particularly at the Tackles spot was overwhelmed. Zion & Campbell really struggled, I felt John got beat a lot but also had some good plays where he held his own. When he was able to get his feet under him & push the defender down the field he did well, but he had I believe 3-4 false starts penalties clearly due to the fact they were jumping the snap count & he was trying to get a beat on the rush. Zion looked like a True Freshman LT. If he's going to remain there we need to really help him out on his side with TE chip & quicker routes that get the ball out of his hands faster. I liked what I saw from Donaldson & Scaife, Gaynor had a bad snap late but played well most of the game.

- RB play was great from Deejay, he was by far our best offensive player on the field, he ran tough, with explosion & was leader for the offense. I wish we would've gave him the ball more, UF couldn't tackle him all night, he was a real problem out of the Wildcat & for whatever reason our best offensive plays all came from the Wildcat formation lol. Cam had a good run on the 60 yarder that of course got called back, the refs fcked us on that IMO but other than that he didn't play well. He's an outside runner, he's not a shifty jump cutter, he's a north & south straight line runner that if he gets a crease can make a big run, but he's not an inside runner by any means. We need Lingard to get healthy & get out there, his speed & homerun hitting ability is needed & when is Robert Burns ever going to get a snap in a game? We can't keep just having 2 backs every season, if he's fckin healthy put him out there & let him run please.

- TE play was very good from Brevin, he was the 2nd best player on the offense & accept that one dropped pass, he played very well. Mallory seemed to let the moment get to him, couldn't catch a thing, I don't think it's going to be a problem, but he's gotta step up as the season progresses, we need some big time production out of that kid this year & I'm still high on his ability. Just catch the ball kid. Michael Irvin JR, again if he's healthy play him. Also, what happened to the 2 TE sets? We barely ran them...

- WR group. My initial thought is due to how bad the OL was pass protecting it's too difficult to make a fair assessment, however JT4 had a very frustrating drop in the end zone vs Henderson, it was a good route, he just simply couldn't catch it. He had other routes where he had beat the DB & was open but again, the QB was under duress all night & the ball just wasn't coming out quick enough. I liked what I saw from KJ, felt we should've got him the ball more on quick routes & wished we would've taken a shot down the field with him in a one on one, he was beating Marco Wilson all night. Also, Enos... Please give the Jet Sweeps to JT4 or Pope ONLY. No disrespect to KJ but he's not a shifty make you miss type WR, he's a straight line speed guy.

Overall Offensive play calling; We need to get the WR's more integrated in this Offense, 214yds passing is not good, YES I KNOW THE OL DIDN'T GIVE THE QB TIME, but there are still things that can be done to diversify the offense & get the ball to our playmakers. What the fck is the sense in having JT4, KJ, Harley, Hightower, Pope, Wiggins, Payton & Njoku and not utilize them? We need to play out of the gun at least 60% of the snaps on O, too much under center ball. SPREAD THE FIELD OUT, USE FORMATIONS TO PULL DEFENDERS OUT OF THE BOX PLEASE? Also, can I get a Wheel route with Deejay or Cam one time? Every pass to the back doesn't have to be a telegraphed screen play. I'm expecting improvements by UNC & the rest of the season.

CLEAN UP THE PENALTIES! A lot of those penalties were complete horsesh*t from the refs, like the 2 Defensive PI's on Blades & Rome Finley & the bullsh*t holding call on the 60yd run, but even so still we played way too undisciplined, way too many Delay of game penalties & false start penalties, that comes from an unorganzied offense that is rattled by the moment. We MUST get that sh*t cleaned up though.

Defense:

They performed well, Run Defense did a fantastic job shutting them down only allowing 52yds rushing & kept Perine completely contained. They also didn't let Frank's gets loose much except for one play that should've been a sack if Rousseau wraps him up.

Pass Defense IMO was very good, aside from 2 big plays by Kadarius Toney (told yall shut him down, you shut the whole thing down) & that deep ball to Hammond. On that play, Frierson gave him a free release & had bad depth with his feet he got beat off the line & doesn't have the recovery speed to catch up to a kid like that, he needed to use his arm length to jam him at the line & played him outside pushing him towards Safety help, other than that he played well that was a great PBU on 3rd down by him & he got into the backfield early in the game getting a good TFL, that's where he'll excel as an in-Box Striker in short area coverage. But other than those 2 plays I felt the secondary played very well, Al Blades was very good in coverage IMO, I knew he was going to ball this season & he's only going to get better, that PI on him was bogus AF that was literally perfect coverage.

- Safety play was good not great, once they gel they'll be much better. As the president of the Amari Carter fan club I was of course happy with how well he played, he didn't play perfect but he showed something in that game, he has more range than everybody thinks he does & once he & Gurvan strengthen their communication on the backend I think we'll see big time play from both, that was a great INT on his part & don't act shocked when my boy ends up with 3 or 4 more this season, I'm telling yall he's gonna be good for us. Gurvan took a few bad angles particularly on that long run by Toney, AC5 did too, they both missed tackles (which was a problem early on) but AC started making some good Tackles late. Gurvan otherwise played well, he can tackle & when he knows what to do he's a missle out there, they both just need some time. Hopefully we can get Bolden in soon because we'll need his athleticism out there.

Last year the most pass yards we gave up in any game the whole season was 222yds total that's it, if we tackle Toney on the screen & play better coverage on the Hammond pass, we would've been well under the 254yds we gave up vs UF which is **** good as is considering we lost 2 starting Safeties, a staring CB & was down in depth with Ivey & Bolden being out, not to mention losing 2 DB's before the season to transfer. Our Pass Defense is ELITE, I'm not afraid to say it, if only allowing 254yds with 2INT's is the "worst" they play this year then I'll take that all **** day!

- The interior DL did great IMO, I really liked what I saw from Ford & Bethel, they were stout up front, not much interior pressure was created but they were great in the run game. Patchan, Garvin, Hill & Rousseau did a good job forcing Franks out side of the pocket & maintaing contain on the edge, Rousseau IMO was the most disruptive & should've had 2 sacks if he wraps up. We need to generate way more pass rush off the edge though, it's necessary for the success of the Defense that we have heavy pressure from the DE's.

- The LB group didn't play their best game, Shaq was good I need to rewatch again to reevaluate fully how they looked. I thought they looked good vs the run, but in Blitzing situations they just weren't get there enough, not that it's entirely their fault but I'm used to seeing them get after the QB & get in the backfield a lot more. Like I said need to reevaluate again.

- Special Teams was good in tackling, they didn't let any big returns happen, I liked our Punting & Bubba Baxa was good except for the missed FG. The fake FG run was good too, another bullsh*t holding call from the refs. Every time we made a big play the refs made sure they fcked us smfh.

Overall, despite 14 penalties for 118yds & all the offensive mishaps we still had multiple chances to win, we unfortunately didn't but we fought & were not intimidated one bit by UF, we fought til the end & that's an improvement from last year. We should've won that **** game, we beat ourselves smh. We need to get the penalties cleaned up, we need to work on tackling & we absolutely need to get that OT spots solved. Idk what, but we need to do something to help Zion & John, growing pains I understand but giving up 10 sacks is a recipe for disaster. If we plan on winning 10 games this year WE MUST SOLVE THE OL PROBLEM.

The jury is still out but I saw some good things from this team, I still think we're in for a good season just need to to get some things fixed quick. But it ain't nowhere near over yet, we can a make a big comeback statement by beating a bad UNC team on the road, just keep building.

Nice.

I do not think Shaq played well at all. They actually picked on him one Drive. Went at him quite a few times for 1st downs and the Perrine TD (tough play). But. They... Used him as the weak link. A couple of times when he rushed he got STONED by the RB. That is not a good look. Not for a Senior LB.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I thought when I saw it!

I was like if he would've pulled the ball he'd still be running lol, their LB's bit down immediately on the handoff.

We gotta work the Zone Read this season, have to.
Glad you saw the same thing. That was an easy 6 at a crucial point too. Need to go back and see exactly when it happened.

Advertisement
Agree, he was absolutely holding onto the ball for too long.

He's safe with the ball & doesn't want to turn the ball over, but because of that he's too safe & won't let it go unless his man is completely open.

He needs to speed up his processing & come off his first read quicker, but there were some things he did well.

Also when he scrambles he needs to be more decisive, he dances around too much looking for a last minute throw but that allows pass rushers time to catch up to him, he needs to decide that when he's gonna tuck & run to just tuck & run.
A little odd, as we bashed Perry for not looking downfield and just tucking and running

Only thing I disagree with is Cam not being an inside runner. I think he'll be great.
I'm a big Cam Harris fan, I just don't think the best way to use him is running on inside counter or dive plays.

He'll be great for us if you give him the ball on outside runs, but having to run in traffic behind a lead guard is not his strong suit.

If you get blockers out in front of him & let him get to the outside he'll burst & accelerate very well, but if you force him to run straight ahead right into the center of the DL he's not a jump cutter that will make the first man miss & then shift upfield, he's a put his foot in the ground & go north/south style runner.

Nah man it was just a bad call, there was no Pass interference on the play, he had his head around.

Hmm, I stand corrected. Watching that live, it looked like he gave more of a check before getting his head around. Watching the replay...not so much. ****, yet another bad call that goes against us. How long do we have to pay for the 80's in the eyes of the rest of America. Fck these guys.

Advertisement
It isn’t just the sacks, it’s the pressure he felt ALL ******* NIGHT. Guy had no time to throw. Aaron Rodgers would have struggled behind that OL that night.

From all angles, too. Young, porous OL and young QB processing things slowly is a heinous combination and will hinder us all year.

Defense:

Offensive line has to communicate better because everyone seemed to be helping inside with double teams. They allowed gaps for blitzes to come in with easy. It is cool to chip to help out but stay in your gap, Williams would of had a little more time. Gaynor has to make the right calls and slide protection if no one is over him.

Yep. The game has to slow down for him. Not sure what you can do to speed up the process except keep giving him reps. This is where it hurts not giving him snaps last year.

These days preserving a redshirt is not a significant consideration unless you're a developmental lineman. If you can play, get them out there.
It is inexcusable he didn't get more reps last year with the new 4 game redshirt rule. We continued to play a 5th year senior who was making the same mistakes our younger guy was making. It made no sense.

Advertisement
There was oppurtunities to beat uva, duke, gt last year with a bad o-line and qbs who couldn't complete passes. We beat those teams this year.

True. We'll play in some more slug fests, especially against teams with comparabale talent.

Yup, forgot to mention it but yeah that missed false start for UF on a 4th down play was a major help to them.

The refs fcked us a lot, I'm not blaming them for us losing but they no doubt fcked us every chance they could.

On both of their long TD's there was blatant holding. Their WR held Bandy right in front of Toney as he danced around. Garvin was being held on the long pass to Hammond.

Edited to correct CB.

Last edited:
Also forgot to add, that Tate being used as a Zone Read QB in the Red Zone has to be a wrinkle in this offense.

Running him outside is a mistake, he doesn't have lateral quickness to escape while running to the sideline to but in the Zone read reading the DE/LB with his quick area burst going foward he's good for a nice 7-8yd gain on a run vs a Defense that isn't expecting it.
Especially with Dallas in wildcat with him.

Advertisement
Back