Katie Meier: Coach or Corch?

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Premium
Point of disclosure- I don't follow women's college sports but is there a reason there's seemingly so much universal slurpage of Katie Meier? .500 lifetime conference record and has never made it past the second round of the Tournament. Hard to think this would be tolerated let alone revered over about 15 years if this was a men's program. Am I missing something?

Advertisement
Now Now , the PC Police will be all over you with that statement. But you are 100% correct.

Now Now , the PC Police will be all over you with that statement. But you are 100% correct.

I suspect as much but you'd think they'd appreciate the universal and consistent application of standards/expectations disirregardless of gender, etc.

Again, I'm not perfect person to be leading some charge here as I admitted that I'm not a spectator but I was just amazed when I did take the time to look up her stats.

Point of disclosure- I don't follow women's college sports but is there a reason there's seemingly so much universal slurpage of Katie Meier? .500 lifetime conference record and has never made it past the second round of the Tournament. Hard to think this would be tolerated let alone revered over about 15 years if this was a men's program. Am I missing something?

The Lady Vols just lost on their home floor to Oregon State. WBB sowed it's own destruction when the played up the Geno vs Pat narrative for ratings Sure, you have a TAMU, a Baylor with women who didn't play in the Olympics (I will leave it at that) and USCe last year, but the number of top flight women's players is very small (had a high school superstar niece play against UConn twice and she just shook her head when asked about them) and now with only a few exceptions, Geno gets them all.

Bottom Line: Despite gimmicks like 4 quarters, NCAA WBB leadership knows its going through the motions until Geno leaves and Miami probably figures they have enough turmoil without firing the WBB coach in the Geno-era.

Considering that Miami had been complete garbage for most of their history(With the good Frances Savage years thrown in as an exception to the rule), the consistency in getting Miami to the tournament, despite not having the support nor budget of most of the elite schools in the ACC is why people love her. She's loyal to Miami, and has turned down elite jobs to stay here. Her sub .500 conference record is colored by her early years at Miami, in which she dealt with a complete lack of talent(Labati was beyond awful in her final years at Miami), she hasn't had a losing conference record since 2009, and that's in one of the better conferences in the country. The lack of a Sweet 16 appearance hurts, she most likely would have had one in 2011 had R. Williams not gotten sent home from the tournament for a disciplinary matter(That was by far her best team, Miami was ranked in the top 5 for a significant part of the season) Frankly, she should have had one last year, but Quinnipiac pulled off a huge upset.

Then again, you made it clear that you don't watch women's college basketball, so I'm not shocked you wouldn't know any of this.

Advertisement
I don't watch any womens sports(besides womens MMA because I am forced too since its on the same card as the mens), but I looked her up and she is Miamis coach. All I know is she has her team practice against random guys at the wellness center so that tells me all I need to know about that team.

I suspect as much but you'd think they'd appreciate the universal and consistent application of standards/expectations disirregardless of gender, etc.

Again, I'm not perfect person to be leading some charge here as I admitted that I'm not a spectator but I was just amazed when I did take the time to look up her stats.
disirregardless? What are you, an FSU Spanglish major?

Then again, you made it clear that you don't watch women's college basketball, so I'm not shocked you wouldn't know any of this.

Someone asks a question about NCAA WBB and the whole soccer-like passive aggresive crap comes out. Give it a break.

Keep it up and they will tarp off up to the benches...

Advertisement
The Lady Vols just lost on their home floor to Oregon State. WBB sowed it's own destruction when the played up the Geno vs Pat narrative for ratings Sure, you have a TAMU, a Baylor with women who didn't play in the Olympics (I will leave it at that) and USCe last year, but the number of top flight women's players is very small (had a high school superstar niece play against UConn twice and she just shook her head when asked about them) and now with only a few exceptions, Geno gets them all.

Bottom Line: Despite gimmicks like 4 quarters, NCAA WBB leadership knows its going through the motions until Geno leaves and Miami probably figures they have enough turmoil without firing the WBB coach in the Geno-era.

Once again, it's borderline impossible for UConn to get every good women's player. Actually, talent is dispersed more in women's CBB, due to the fact that **** near everyone stays for four years. Go look at the recruiting rankings, UConn rarely, if ever has top ranked classes. Geno is a legit coach, and he runs his program like a men's outfit. You see it on the floor, and like John Wooden in the 60s Geno is far and away the best developer of talent in the country. Frankly, when you look at schools like South Carolina, Baylor and others, they have more top end talent, UConn has a decided advantage in regards to attacking teams.

I don't watch any womens sports(besides womens MMA because I am forced too since its on the same card as the mens), but I looked her up and she is Miamis coach. All I know is she has her team practice against random guys at the wellness center so that tells me all I need to know about that team.

Actually, they don't practice at the Wellness Center(That hasn't been true since the field house opened, and even then, they only practiced at the WC when the Convocation Center was in use for another event) and women's teams all over the country rely on a male scout team, made up of undergrads.

Actually, they don't practice at the Wellness Center(That hasn't been true since the field house opened, and even then, they only practiced at the WC when the Convocation Center was in use for another event) and women's teams all over the country rely on a male scout team, made up of undergrads.

The first part is not true. I seen them in the WC around 2012-2014 a few times. The second part I will take your word for it, but their were kids on that male scout team that were not very good and would get balled on at the WC by other players.

Advertisement
The first part is not true. I seen them in the WC around 2012-2014 a few times. The second part I will take your word for it, but their were kids on that male scout team that were not very good and would get balled on at the WC by other players.

And what was going on to where they couldn't use the field house? Odds are it was few and far between. You realize that Meier can't just make guys come play on the scout team. You have to be willing to do that, and a lot of the better players in the WC have better things to do with their time. Plus, let's be honest, there's a lot of guys at the WC that are good in a pickup situation that couldn't play good team ball if their lives depended on it.

And what was going on to where they couldn't use the field house? Odds are it was few and far between. You realize that Meier can't just make guys come play on the scout team. You have to be willing to do that, and a lot of the better players in the WC have better things to do with their time. Plus, let's be honest, there's a lot of guys at the WC that are good in a pickup situation that couldn't play good team ball if their lives depended on it.

Honestly, I don't know. I was just stating that I saw them over there. I am sure something was going down, but I never seen the mens team practicing there which was why I found it strange. You are right about that some of those kids couldnt pass to save their life lol(especially those Long Island kids). Honestly I had no idea about any of that stuff. I believe you though so I guess she isn't a Corch. I just found it strange to see D1 athletes competing against kids who were probably out getting hammered the night before. I guess that is what all NCAAWB players do, but I guess thats why I dont watch them. I can watch a pickup game and see better talent.

Honestly, I don't know. I was just stating that I saw them over there. I am sure something was going down, but I never seen the mens team practicing there which was why I found it strange. You are right about that some of those kids couldnt pass to save their life lol(especially those Long Island kids). Honestly I had no idea about any of that stuff. I believe you though so I guess she isn't a Corch. I just found it strange to see D1 athletes competing against kids who were probably out getting hammered the night before. I guess that is what all NCAAWB players do, but I guess thats why I dont watch them. I can watch a pickup game and see better talent.

It's more of the fact that it's hard enough to find female scout team people at the college level, if Meier could find quality female players to serve as the scout team, she would, but here we are. There's only so many intrasquad scrimmages you can run, and in some cases, she doesn't have the bodies, when you account for injuries, etc. Let's be honest, the concept of a women's walk on player is so rare, I can't for the life of me think of the last time Miami had one. If you have any sort of talent, you are going to be on scholarship somewhere, due to the scarcity of truly talented female players.

The men's team has always had priority in regards to field house usage, and if there was an event going on at the Watsco Center that also required use of the field house, chances are a guy like L, or in this case Haith may have given the guys a day off. Then again, Jack McClinton used to shoot in his spare time at the WC before the field house was built so who knows.

Advertisement
It's more of the fact that it's hard enough to find female scout team people at the college level, if Meier could find quality female players to serve as the scout team, she would, but here we are. There's only so many intrasquad scrimmages you can run, and in some cases, she doesn't have the bodies, when you account for injuries, etc. Let's be honest, the concept of a women's walk on player is so rare, I can't for the life of me think of the last time Miami had one. If you have any sort of talent, you are going to be on scholarship somewhere, due to the scarcity of truly talented female players.

The men's team has always had priority in regards to field house usage, and if there was an event going on at the Watsco Center that also required use of the field house, chances are a guy like L, or in this case Haith may have given the guys a day off. Then again, Jack McClinton used to shoot in his spare time at the WC before the field house was built so who knows.

That makes sense. Anyone good enough to be on that womens scout team is probably already playing in college. Plus I guess going against guys would be good practice since they would be getting bodied. I just figured that a bunch of D1 girls should be able to scrape a bunch of guys playing pickup in the wellness center. The main reason I say that is beacuse the BEST kid by far at the WC when we used to play. He used to just dominate the courts whenever he played said he could have only went to a D3 school to play. He got no D2 offers. So I know if he played against the actual kids on our team he would get destroyed, but I guess the difference between guys vs girls is just too much.

That makes sense. Anyone good enough to be on that womens scout team is probably already playing in college. Plus I guess going against guys would be good practice since they would be getting bodied. I just figured that a bunch of D1 girls should be able to scrape a bunch of guys playing pickup in the wellness center. The main reason I say that is beacuse the BEST kid by far at the WC when we used to play. He used to just dominate the courts whenever he played said he could have only went to a D3 school to play. He got no D2 offers. So I know if he played against the actual kids on our team he would get destroyed, but I guess the difference between guys vs girls is just too much.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that even the best women's team of all time, would get bodied by a bunch of competent male players. Remember the following: The US Women's National Soccer Team routinely gets stomped by teenage boys in scrimmages. Let that marinate, grown women get obliterated by boys in games, and that's a group that is without a doubt one of the top 3 teams in the world, year in and year out. Biological differences are what they are.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that even the best women's team of all time, would get bodied by a bunch of competent male players. Remember the following: The US Women's National Soccer Team routinely gets stomped by teenage boys in scrimmages. Let that marinate, grown women get obliterated by boys in games, and that's a group that is without a doubt one of the top 3 teams in the world, year in and year out. Biological differences are what they are.

Obviously I know men would dominate women in basketball, but I didn't think it was to the point that a tournament caliber D1 school would get handled by a few random kids who play basketball at the WC for fun. I was unaware of the soccer thing because I don't watch soccer, but that explains it. I expected that from a physical sport like football or MMA, but I didn't realize it was the case for basketball and soccer. I am sure if you ask your average person on the street who would win in a pickup game: A top D1 womens basketball team who almost always makes the basketball tournament or some random kids at the WC who are chubby and out of shape they would pick the womens team. Obviously, we would be wrong, but its something intuitive that you would just assume based on genetics. Just like if you said who would win in a soccer match: a top 3 womens soccer team or a bunch of teenage boys they would assume the girls. Now if you said who would win Miami womens basketball or a decent HS basketball team then that is more intuitive.

The USWNT doesn't routinely get stomped by teenage boys. I think this is what you are referring to.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/ne...-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/

Advertisement
Back