Kamren Kinchens Talks Being State Champ, Updates Recruitment

View as article

Cory Grimes

Freshman
Premium
In my tour around the South Florida High school football scene last season, there were a handful of plays that stood out to me above all others. Plays that are tattooed in my brain for the rest of time. One of those said plays was a soul snatching hit by Miami Northwestern’s Kamren Kinchens on a South Dade wideout, who will go unnamed. That wasn’t the only time Kinchens flexed his muscles in 2018. As a sophomore, he was an impact player on a Miami Northwestern defense that was absolutely dominant en route to another state title. Since the end of the season, the interest around Kinchens has really heated up, as he’s landed several offers nationwide in addition to his Miami offer. I caught up with Kinchens recently, here’s how it went.

(Here's the aforementioned hit from Kinchens)

How does it feel to be state champ?

“I don’t know. It feels good, but I want to win it two more times. I’m not satisfied.”

With Sam Brooks, Kalijah Cancey and the rest of the seniors leaving, are you ready to be one of the leaders on the defense going into your junior year?

“Oh yeah. It’s always about the next person up. I feel like I am ready, and we’re going to do what we do.”

What position in the secondary do you think fits you best?

“I feel comfortable anywhere. It’s not hard for me to learn a new spot. So if I have to go to corner, nickel, I’ll play it.

You’re a physical player. That’s a huge strength in your game, but what other areas are you looking to improve this offseason?

“Basically covering. I have good ball skills. At safety, I can read the quarterback and all that. I need better man to man skills. I need to be more agile on the field.”

Recruiting wise, what schools are sticking out to you right now?

“Louisville, Oregon and Miami.”

How was Junior Day at Miami?

“It was great. It was what I expected it to be. It felt like home.”

What are going to be the determining factors when it comes to picking a school in the end?

“Basically, what’s going to help me get to the next level and my education.”

Kinchens says he has maintained a good relationship with Coach Diaz and Coach Van Dyke. With fellow 2021 Miami Northwestern classmates Romello Brinson and Khalil Brantley already committed to Miami, I am sure Kinchens will here his fair share of friendly recruiting pitches to Miami over the next couple years.

Kinchens is a DB that thrives off instincts and has a great feel for the game. He’s a more than willing tackler. I’d even say he’s an enforcer from his safety spot. His ball skills are exceptional and catches like a receiver. He made numerous plays in the return game for Northwestern and even caught a pass on a fake punt during a pivotal point in the state title game. When Kam hones his man to man skills, like he mentioned, he projects to be a DB with serious versatility. He can be a guy who can play centerfield, blitz off the edge or lock up a receiver in the slot. There’s no doubt that Kinchens is on an upward trajectory to being one of the household names in south Florida’s 2021 class.

Advertisement
Advertisement
LCE,

Kinchens
Massey
Burns

Any of the 3 not a take AT THIS POINT (Obv things can change)...In other words, who needs to prove a little more. Obv I think Kinchens is safe, looks like a headhunting safety that can play at UM.

Advertisement
LCE,

Kinchens
Massey
Burns

Any of the 3 not a take AT THIS POINT (Obv things can change)...In other words, who needs to prove a little more. Obv I think Kinchens is safe, looks like a headhunting safety that can play at UM.
Kinchens 100% is a take for the 21 class.

Burns has legit ballhawk skills with 7INT's his Frosh year at Doral & is 5'10 but he's still really small in weight.

Massie is more stockily built & is around 170lbs but might only be 5'9 in height, but he's a pure dawg in coverage.

They both need to get bigger, we'll see what happens over the next 2 seasons.

Advertisement
Kinchens 100% is a take for the 21 class.

Burns has legit ballhawk skills with 7INT's his Frosh year at Doral & is 5'10 but he's still really small in weight.

Massie is more stockily built & is around 170lbs but might only be 5'9 in height, but he's a pure dawg in coverage.

They both need to get bigger, we'll see what happens over the next 2 seasons.

Odds are they will get bigger. Almost always you do see increases in height and muscle mass in those 2 crucial years. The only question is how much.

Advertisement
That's quite a growth spurt.

Grew 4’ from sophomore to junior year of HS. Put on 20lbs of muscle too. I love Kam’s game and he looks and smells like the perfect enforcer in our defense. Got to keep him engaged and locked up.

Advertisement
Back