Kahlil Mckenzie

His top 5 teams all run an attacking style of defense line.

Wisconsin with their 3-4 scheme which is a 2 Gap system has their dline attack the Oline with the goal of reestablishing a new LOS 2-3 yds behind the original one while still occupying blockers and finding the ball carrier. UM scheme of sitting back on your heels an catching blocks then trying to defeat them while flowing down the line of scrimmage is turning off ALOT OF RECRUITS IN THE END.

Hopefully with bigger players this year and some adjustments UM's scheme will work better in putting on an better show on the field.

Go Canes

Notice how BAMA teaches the gain ground principal rather than UM's catch and release style for the T-N-T squad.
[video=youtube_share;7v19pO9Xh68]http://youtu.be/7v19pO9Xh68[/video]

Paranos you can't 2 gap and be attacking. 2 gap is being responsible for two gaps and in an attacking format you take your assigned gap and disrupt.

Advertisement
His top 5 teams all run an attacking style of defense line.

Wisconsin with their 3-4 scheme which is a 2 Gap system has their dline attack the Oline with the goal of reestablishing a new LOS 2-3 yds behind the original one while still occupying blockers and finding the ball carrier. UM scheme of sitting back on your heels an catching blocks then trying to defeat them while flowing down the line of scrimmage is turning off ALOT OF RECRUITS IN THE END.

Hopefully with bigger players this year and some adjustments UM's scheme will work better in putting on an better show on the field.

Go Canes

Notice how BAMA teaches the gain ground principal rather than UM's catch and release style for the T-N-T squad.
[video=youtube_share;7v19pO9Xh68]http://youtu.be/7v19pO9Xh68[/video]

Paranos you can't 2 gap and be attacking. 2 gap is being responsible for two gaps and in an attacking format you take your assigned gap and disrupt.

This. If our DTs had the ability to re-establish a LOS 2-3 yards behind the backfield it would have been done. They aren't taught to sit on their heels and catch and release...that's a ridiculous assumption. Our DTs just weren't very talented.

This. If our DTs had the ability to re-establish a LOS 2-3 yards behind the backfield it would have been done. They aren't taught to sit on their heels and catch and release...that's a ridiculous assumption. Our DTs just weren't very talented.

Both of you are wrong. If you watch film of how UM's interior Dlinemen set up before the snap of the ball you will notice their weight is shifted back on thier heels and the first post snap move is a punch out with both hands in order to engage the offensive linemen an prevent them from reaching 2nd level blocks against the LB'ers. This how you control two gaps by occupying the OL while you check either side gap for the ball carrier while attempting to quickly disengage and defeat the blocker in order to give supporting inside out pursuit of the ball carrier. This is where the term reading the block then reacting comes from. Now you can teach to read and react with the goal of a getting a stalemate at the LOS which is considered a win, or you can teach read and react while pushing the blocker into the backfield to collapse the pocket from the very first movement which will result in a tackle for loss being considered a win. But when you push the LOS backward while trying to maintain gap integrity, if all your Dlinemen aren't on the same page you will open a natural whole for the ball carrier in. This is why the reestablishing the LOS 2yd in the backfield type of 2 gap scheme is only effective if you have country strong wardaddy type linemen with long arms, that both understand the defense an even more importantly are willing to play their role as glorified blockers.

An Attacking defensive dline as you mentioned picks a gap and blows throughout any way they can, an inorder to get generate as much initial burst as possible the linemen get down in a track stance with as much as possible leaning forward on their hands and their feet are in a staggered set to allow for the first step to be a burst forward using the snap of the hips to generate acceleration.

Watch any UM highlight from last year and you will see porter and renfrow setting up in almost a sumo wrestler stance, which is used to create a stalemate rather than generate a push. Where as if you watch ND, Bama, Wisconson, or FSU all whom run a 3-4 scheme that looks to reestablish a new LOS in the backfield.

Here is a highlight of Louis Nix playing NT Notice how he presses the pocket run or pass on every play to reestablish the LOS 2-3yds in the backfield. Then watch how Curtis Porter is set up to play the NT within Miami's scheme where catches the block an tries to stalemate them at the LOS but gets pushed back a yard a or so. 3 years ago porter was a wrecking crew in old attacking style defense UM. You won't find highly ranked DT's that are willing to the NT, you need more blue collar role player types an this why Bama signs only specific types of 3*'s or unradar types to play the NT. An even Bama's DT's aren't usually rated higher than a low 4* at most, because they are role players also to a certain extent. Here is a clip of Wis NT Beau Allen running the same type of scheme UM's runs except they execute it better because they have the strength across their front line TNT players to run it, this is actually what I expect UM's front 7 to look like for 2014. Hopefully this clears up your confusion.

[video=youtube;0amU0_ZaYlY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0amU0_ZaYlY[/video]

[video=vimeo;86245423]http://vimeo.com/86245423[/video]

[video=youtube;SO5NLcVTh20]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO5NLcVTh20[/video]

Last edited:

Both of you are wrong

OK Danny...thank you for your input. Your logic in everything you post is infallible.

Advertisement

Both of you are wrong

OK Danny...thank you for your input. Your logic in everything you post is infallible.

An just to further prove my point here is Bama's NT Jesse Williams from two years, notice the DLine stance and what they do once the ball is snapped. Again I hope this clears up you confusion an puts you on the path to DLine technique understanding. An now we can return to the OP about Kahlil Mckenzie an his interest in playing at Miami.

Go Canes

[video=youtube;aBbTLxLiicA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBbTLxLiicA[/video]

Both of you are wrong

An just to further prove my point here is Bama's NT Jesse Williams from two years, notice the DLine stance and what they do once the ball is snapped. Again I hope this clears up you confusion an puts you on the path to DLine technique understanding. An now we can return to the OP about Kahlil Mckenzie an his interest in playing at Miami.

Go Canes

Just went full DannyBoy.

Both of you are wrong

Go Canes

Paranos I've always held off on any "critiquing" of your posts because you're truly passionate about what you do. That being said... I will now stop biting my tongue when you posts stupid ****! First off you're comparing a national championship DL against a Jethro coached DL. Slap yourself! Ideally we'd be doing the same thing if we could.

Advertisement
Bro did you miss the Wisconsin and Notre Dame dline comparison in those same post. Don't pick an choose to attempt to defend your point when you sir are wrong, just except it and move on. Also you started this not me, so don't play the victim when your are called out.

If I am wrong then feel free to defend your point in detail with supporting proof as I have, otherwise have a nice day.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Paranos what's the difference between 2 gap (read & react) & 1 gap (attacking)? You can single gap out of an odd front. Dude I wasn't attacking you, I was merely pointing it out until you decided to go full *******! 1st play on the ND film they went to a even front (1 & 3). That's a single gap attacking front. Then the Wisky film (first few plays) were R&R.

Last edited:
Baby brother looks like he is ALREADY much bigger. That kid is going to be a monster. Look at the size of his head. Sounds like mom and dad have money, so going across the coast might not be as big a deal. If the father is buds with Franklin, then sending his sons to him is reasonable. Remember, they are FROM Knoxville, then do not live there.

Ummmm, his pops is the Raiders GM. They are millionaires.
Can't imagine he keeps that role much longer - he's not very good at it.

If he signs with Tennessee watch his pop get a job with the Cleveland Browns as Director of scouting. Browns Owner Jimmy Haslam is a big UT
booster.

Baby brother looks like he is ALREADY much bigger. That kid is going to be a monster. Look at the size of his head. Sounds like mom and dad have money, so going across the coast might not be as big a deal. If the father is buds with Franklin, then sending his sons to him is reasonable. Remember, they are FROM Knoxville, then do not live there.

Ummmm, his pops is the Raiders GM. They are millionaires.
Can't imagine he keeps that role much longer - he's not very good at it.

If he signs with Tennessee watch his pop get a job with the Cleveland Browns as Director of scouting. Browns Owner Jimmy Haslam is a big UT
booster.

His brother is the Gov of TN

Advertisement
Paranos what's the difference between 2 gap (read & react) & 1 gap (attacking)? You can single gap out of an odd front. Dude I wasn't attacking you, I was merely pointing it out until you decided to go full *******! 1st play on the ND film they went to a even front (1 & 3). That's a single gap attacking front. Then the Wisky film (first few plays) were R&R.

Holy **** I just read all this! If you watch the VERY first play in the Bama film it shows the nose just below the highlighted player do the exact same thing that Porter was doing. If you put him in an Orange jersey with "PORTER" on the back it would be the same film. Good Lord this Paranos guy...

Film against Gaytors not a good example of Canes D techniques. Show results of games against NC, Duke, Virginia Tech and FSU.

Both of you are wrong. If you watch film of how UM's interior Dlinemen set up before the snap of the ball you will notice their weight is shifted back on thier heels and the first post snap move is a punch out with both hands in order to engage the offensive linemen an prevent them from reaching 2nd level blocks against the LB'ers. This how you control two gaps by occupying the OL while you check either side gap for the ball carrier while attempting to quickly disengage and defeat the blocker in order to give supporting inside out pursuit of the ball carrier. This is where the term reading the block then reacting comes from. Now you can teach to read and react with the goal of a getting a stalemate at the LOS which is considered a win, or you can teach read and react while pushing the blocker into the backfield to collapse the pocket from the very first movement which will result in a tackle for loss being considered a win. But when you push the LOS backward while trying to maintain gap integrity, if all your Dlinemen aren't on the same page you will open a natural whole for the ball carrier in. This is why the reestablishing the LOS 2yd in the backfield type of 2 gap scheme is only effective if you have country strong wardaddy type linemen with long arms, that both understand the defense an even more importantly are willing to play their role as glorified blockers.

An Attacking defensive dline as you mentioned picks a gap and blows throughout any way they can, an inorder to get generate as much initial burst as possible the linemen get down in a track stance with as much as possible leaning forward on their hands and their feet are in a staggered set to allow for the first step to be a burst forward using the snap of the hips to generate acceleration.

Watch any UM highlight from last year and you will see porter and renfrow setting up in almost a sumo wrestler stance, which is used to create a stalemate rather than generate a push. Where as if you watch ND, Bama, Wisconson, or FSU all whom run a 3-4 scheme that looks to reestablish a new LOS in the backfield.

Here is a highlight of Louis Nix playing NT Notice how he presses the pocket run or pass on every play to reestablish the LOS 2-3yds in the backfield. Then watch how Curtis Porter is set up to play the NT within Miami's scheme where catches the block an tries to stalemate them at the LOS but gets pushed back a yard a or so. 3 years ago porter was a wrecking crew in old attacking style defense UM. You won't find highly ranked DT's that are willing to the NT, you need more blue collar role player types an this why Bama signs only specific types of 3*'s or unradar types to play the NT. An even Bama's DT's aren't usually rated higher than a low 4* at most, because they are role players also to a certain extent. Here is a clip of Wis NT Beau Allen running the same type of scheme UM's runs except they execute it better because they have the strength across their front line TNT players to run it, this is actually what I expect UM's front 7 to look like for 2014. Hopefully this clears up your confusion.

[video=youtube;0amU0_ZaYlY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0amU0_ZaYlY[/video]

[video=vimeo;86245423]http://vimeo.com/86245423[/video]

[video=youtube;SO5NLcVTh20]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO5NLcVTh20[/video]

None of know what a kids or his parents are going to do. I think its important that we also recognize that friendships also means, that because we are friends I'll give you a visit. I wouldn't place too much emphasis on friendships unless you know they are on the same level as Golden and D'Nofrio. Remember Heurmann OSU TE was offered by Miami and Bosa DT was from STA. Now with McKenzie being from so far away this just may be a case of "give my dogg a visit" son. He's probably Stanford since they are high academic, win and have a Black coach. That's what many professional surburban Blacks want for their kids.

Advertisement

Both of you are wrong

Go Canes

Just went full DannyBoy.

You never go full DannyBoy

His uncle and dad played for Tenessee, and his grandfather is a HUGE UT fan. I don't think we were ever really in the mix.

Advertisement
Back