Kaden Martin 2022 CF/LHP/QB Dual sport athlete Offered

Advertisement
Did not realize that

It's all good, man. Sometimes the "tone of voice" gets lost and sarcasm is overlooked. I was mocking the typical Gaytor fan response to getting a baseball verbal who also is a 4-star QB. No harm, no foul.

I probably have a couple thousand posts mocking Gaytor fans over on Gaytor Tears. When I mock Gaytors on other threads, it may not carry the same context.

My apologies for any confusion. Go Canes!

So if I understand this right, Martin wont count against football as an IC until he plays in a game?
1614821369611.png

Advertisement
If he is as good as they say in baseball I think there’s no chance he plays football here

Advertisement
It's all good, man. Sometimes the "tone of voice" gets lost and sarcasm is overlooked. I was mocking the typical Gaytor fan response to getting a baseball verbal who also is a 4-star QB. No harm, no foul.

I probably have a couple thousand posts mocking Gaytor fans over on Gaytor Tears. When I mock Gaytors on other threads, it may not carry the same context.

My apologies for any confusion. Go Canes!
All good brother. We were saying the same thing. Sorry for the harsh reply.

How high is he going to get drafted by the MLB?
He’s pretty much a top 100 draft prospect for 2022 on every board. Number one player in Tennessee. Depends on how much he asks for, but if he’s signable he’ll go top 5 rounds. I would bet he signs for 6 figures.

Advertisement
Does anyone know how this relates to initial counters though? I understand that his scholarship would immediately kick over to football if he ever played in a game (Butch Davis rule) but since we’re nowhere near the 85 total scholarship limit, that doesn’t bother me. What does concern me would be if he would use up an IC spot should he ever play. Let’s say he’s in the program for a couple of years but never sees the field. Then as a third year player, he earns some playing time. Would he be using an IC during that third season even if he’s technically been on campus for years?

Does anyone know how this relates to initial counters though? I understand that his scholarship would immediately kick over to football if he ever played in a game (Butch Davis rule) but since we’re nowhere near the 85 total scholarship limit, that doesn’t bother me. What does concern me would be if he would use up an IC spot should he ever play. Let’s say he’s in the program for a couple of years but never sees the field. Then as a third year player, he earns some playing time. Would he be using an IC during that third season even if he’s technically been on campus for years?

The issue is much more about ICs (25) than counters (85 in non-exempt years).

IC counts the first time you offer financial aid. Obviously, out of the gate, he would have an EQUIVALENCY (and highly-likely PARTIAL) scholarship with baseball. As long as he does not PLAY in a football game, he would not count as an IC for football. Essentially, he is a "walk-on".

However, once he PLAYS in a football game, the rules require he count as an IC for football. Football is a HEADCOUNT (full-ride) scholarship sport. And once he plays and counts as an IC, you might as well give him a full-ride scholarship and let the partial-scholarship baseball money go to another baseball player.

However, I believe that after 2 years, if he then DID play football, he would no longer count as a football IC, as he would have met the on-campus residency requirements. To use a different example, it's the Jimmy Graham comparison. When he started to play football for UM, he did NOT count as an IC.

The most important aspect here would be "how is he developing as a baseball player". If, after 2 years, it looks like he could go back into the draft, it might not be worthwhile to put a lot of eggs in the QB basket for just 1 more year, unless he WANTED to play QB (and a few recent NCAA guys have definitely chosen QB over baseball). If it doesn't look like he would be a Top 100 baseball draftee as a junior, and has a higher ceiling at QB, then convert him to a full football scholarship and push hard for playing time.

Advertisement
All good brother. We were saying the same thing. Sorry for the harsh reply.

Oh, also, it doesn't even look like the Miami websites are giving us "Gaytor credit" for a 4-star either:

CaneSport:

1614880928451.png

InsideTheU:

1614881003465.png

Imagine how much the Gaytor fans would be screaming about this "omission" of a 4-star commit by now...

Much love to all my Hurricane brethren.

Go Canes!

Freshman season. Stats don’t matter when you run a sub 7 second 60, throw 93 off the bump, 90+ from the outfield and have 103 exit velo off the bat.
So what did he hit last year?

Listen, I get the MLB gushes over 5 tool players. But hitting 250 in highschool...I've never seen one get drafted in the first round. Maybe in college...but HS. Wow I would be shocked.

But I didnt know those were his freshman stats. So I'm very curious as to what his most recent stats are.

Advertisement
Back