Kaaya will feast under Richt

CanesAreAble

All-ACC
I went back and looked at Kaaya's game against FSU defense (15th overall D, 16th pass efficiency D, 5th scoring D).

Kaaya was 29-49 for 405 yards and 3 TDs with no picks. And that was with ZERO running game (19 carries 20 yards).

[video=youtube;nZ4RciQW0Fk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ4RciQW0Fk[/video]

When he has time to set his feet, he throws with accuracy, touch, and anticipation. Even under duress he was making plays.

Some people like to rag on Brad, but he had a pretty **** good season despite no running game whatsoever all year long. Under Richt, a play action-based passing game with a legit running threat will be lethal. I expect to see Njoku and Herndon get A LOT of work next year.

Advertisement
Able, can you imagine Kaaya with a real downhill running game with the actual threat of play-action?

Able, can you imagine Kaaya with a real downhill running game with the actual threat of play-action?

AND a real OC calling plays.

Kaaya was dropping bombs like Daryle Lamonica as a freshman when he had Duke gashing teams and Dorsett taking the top off the defense.

Kaaya was dropping bombs like Daryle Lamonica as a freshman when he had Duke gashing teams and Dorsett taking the top off the defense.

Geo and I were discussing this before, I really think this is the worst Oline Ive seen at UM( and that includes the tail end of the Erickson years) and guys like J Ina and Zev Lumelski. I do think Kaaya's mechanics were affected as he took so many hits and didn't have a consistently clean pocket to throw into. He certainly, IMO, missed some throws that otherwise were routine

Geo and I were discussing this before, I really think this is the worst Oline Ive seen at UM( and that includes the tail end of the Erickson years) and guys like J Ina and Zev Lumelski. I do think Kaaya's mechanics were affected as he took so many hits and didn't have a consistently clean pocket to throw into. He certainly, IMO, missed some throws that otherwise were routine

I agree totally with you. I have never seen our Oline look so bad. With everyone coming back plus the guys that redshirted it has to be better right? At I'm hoping it does

Advertisement
****. The mid 2000's (2005-2008) lines were probably the worst. Andrew Bain, Reggie Youngblood, Anthony Wollschlager, Cyrim Wimbs,Tony Tella. It will never get worse than that.

We have the same porous OL coming back next year. Hopefully another offseason of S&C helps them improve a lot. Otherwise it's gonna be another rough season in the run game and another season of Kaaya taking hits he shouldn't be taking. Because it sounds like Kehoe will be back unfortunately.

Hopefully a better play caller helps Kaaya out as well. His mechanics were definitely affected at times due to taking so many hits. Don't want him to be shell-shocked back there.

Last edited:

Yeah, but kid still did not throw picks. That is very impressive. All those hits almost always add up to increasing picks. And we are talking about one of those plug and play offenses that generate stats and restrict chances for picks. Brad plays with his head first and body second. With any improvement in protection and a return to a decent running game, this kid will explode under Mark. Imagine if he gets a defense that take the ball away -- can you see the quick strikes coming?

Advertisement
Who made second team all acc qb above Brad? I thought he got jipped and was better than the third best qb in the conference

kayaa will be fine but after next year give me eason.

someone needs to teach brad how to throw on the run, without that skill he will never become elite or make it at the next level.

Advertisement
kayaa will be fine but after next year give me eason.

someone needs to teach brad how to throw on the run, without that skill he will never become elite or make it at the next level.

I agree Kaaya definitely needs to learn how to throw on the run to make it at the next level but I'll take a 4* from Florida over a 5* from up north all day.

ya think kaaya getting hit every play may have effected his mechanics? lol

Kayaa has been incredible over the past two years seeing as he was dealing with a horrible HC, a mediocre OC and one of the worst Offensive Lines in UM history. Imagine almost any other Freshman/Sophomore QB dealing with bad coaching and no Oline?

Three areas he needs improvement are:
1. Deep ball - last year he was throwing the deep ball too far, this year he's throwing it too short. Our WRs have done a heck of a job coming back and making plays on the under-thrown ball.
2. Throwing on the run - Kayaa definitely mirrors Peyton Manning which is both good and bad. good because he reads the defense well and checks off the safety, bad because he has zero threat of running with the ball.
3. Taking risks - Brad is extremely risk averse. So much so that he rarely takes chances (ie the tough throw) even on mismatches. A good example is the corner post route inside the red zone; Brad has yet to throw that corner jump/catch route since he threw an INT in the Nebraska game. With Njoku, Cager and Yearby he should take more risks and allow his pass catchers to make plays.

Other than that, the kid has done a lot with very little. I refuse to blame him for the FSU losses the past two years - the last drive isn't why we lost those games, it was a culmination of bad coaching and lack of adjustment.

Advertisement
He is a great quarterback. People who don't appreciate Kaaya should watch the quarterback play in these bowl games. We have one of the best in the country and he will only get better.

The guy would have saved Folden's job but for the Dabostruction. He must be incredible to pull off that miracle. He's absolutely going to benefit from having a real offensive mind guiding him. He's gonna tear it up.

WRs are going to have to step up. No Scott, Waters, and possibly Coley next year. Tyre Brady breakout year? I imagine Njoku will get a ton of targets at TE.

Advertisement
Back