Kaaya gone

This program is ready to move on from Brad Kayaa just like FSU was ready to move on from EJ Manuel.

You cannot win big today without a QB with at least some running ability.

Even Jameis Wisnton was able to avoid a sack or take off for a crucial 1st down when needed.

Kayaa rushed for -136 yards this year.

Deshawn Watson ran for 586.

Jalen Hurts ran for 891.

EVEN NICK SABAN HAS A RUNNING QB. WAKE THE F**K UP PEOPLE.

Advertisement
Jack Allison will never be the starting QB at Miami as long as Cade Weldon and N'Kosi Perry are on campus.

WILL. NOT. HAPPEN.

It's the reason 5 star Blake Barnett lost the job to a true freshman named Jalen Hurts.

Shirrefs doesn't look like the baby faced kid he was when he got here. If he was 210 in August, and keeps growing, he'll be a big, athletic dude come this spring. Not sure why people are writing him off.

Because he's a 2-star recruit with marginal arm talent.

Doesn't mean he can't be a player, but let's be real.

Jack Allison better be the goods because need a year with N'Kosi Perry learning offense

Perry gone learn the offense on the field.

You have tell me the true freshmen that excelled on the Field as starting QB. There is Eason at GA and Kaaya even though he was also rushed into playing ahead of Ryan Williams so Folden could talk "process" after another loss.

I think the kid from USC is a redshirt freshman we should be so lucky to have him. That kid is special with a cap S!

I keep going back to the decisions from Leinart at USC and Andrew Luck at Stanford. Leinart actually was projected as the #1 pick and stayed. Also Luck stayed as well and apparently it didn't hurt his draft stock.

I am curious as to what went into his decision. He can't blame Rick for the slow start in the bowl he air mailed passes to wide open WRs to start that game. Then he settled down I would have loved to hear what Rick told him. We will never know but coaches have a way in keeping kids in school for the right reasons.

Advertisement
Good luck to him.

I think he is pretty limited overall, but he's got the arm talent to play in the league. Ultimately, I think he's a backup, spot starter, or bottom 5 type of starter in the league. He gets real gunshy when the bullets fly and the footwork and pocket presence need to be coached up.

Word from some people I know who are friends with him said he didn't have a great relationship with Richt. They said Richt was hard on him and blamed him for a lot of the offense's problems. One friend even told me Kaaya had allegedly stated, "I'd rather get drafted in the 7th round or sign as a free agent then play under Richt again". To top it off, Kaaya had given that friend his new cell phone number because he was getting a new phone for after the draft. This was like 3 or 4 days ago.

I don't know if that's true or not, but it would be the only viable explanation for this guy leaving early. He and Rick likely have a strained relationship at best, and Kaaya wants out of here so badly he's willing to be a 5th round pick and stand a more likely chance of being cut than making a team. Otherwise, it was a total no-brainer for him to stay.

I'm only about the program. The program is where my love is. I don't know this guy Kaaya personally, but I know and love the program intimately. If Rick can point to him in the future as a guy who didn't listen, left early, and got cut, and that benefits the program then I'm all for it.

I hope to one day have a program where marginal guys like this with major holes in his game that he could improve aren't on a rocket ship out of Coral Gables at the first sniff of eligibility for the draft. I see infinitely better players opting to stay at their programs this year.

Word from some people I know who are friends with him said he didn't have a great relationship with Richt. They said Richt was hard on him and blamed him for a lot of the offense's problems. One friend even told me Kaaya had allegedly stated, "I'd rather get drafted in the 7th round or sign as a free agent then play under Richt again". To top it off, Kaaya had given that friend his new cell phone number because he was getting a new phone for after the draft. This was like 3 or 4 days ago.

I don't know if that's true or not, but it would be the only viable explanation for this guy leaving early. He and Rick likely have a strained relationship at best, and Kaaya wants out of here so badly he's willing to be a 5th round pick and stand a more likely chance of being cut than making a team. Otherwise, it was a total no-brainer for him to stay.

I'm only about the program. The program is where my love is. I don't know this guy Kaaya personally, but I know and love the program intimately. If Rick can point to him in the future as a guy who didn't listen, left early, and got cut, and that benefits the program then I'm all for it.

I hope to one day have a program where marginal guys like this with major holes in his game that he could improve aren't on a rocket ship out of Coral Gables at the first sniff of eligibility for the draft. I see infinitely better players opting to stay at their programs this year.

Those programs may have better coaches than this Richt guy. Richt is supposed to be some qb guru yet we really didn't see any improvement from brad at all.

Advertisement

Those programs may have better coaches than this Richt guy. Richt is supposed to be some qb guru yet we really didn't see any improvement from brad at all.

yeah, he coached heisman winners and basically every qb he coached at FSU and UGA was all conference but he coulnt get more out of an over hyped kid who none of the west coast schools recruiting hard so he sucks.

I keep going back to the decisions from Leinart at USC and Andrew Luck at Stanford. Leinart actually was projected as the #1 pick and stayed. Also Luck stayed as well and apparently it didn't hurt his draft stock.

I am curious as to what went into his decision. He can't blame Rick for the slow start in the bowl he air mailed passes to wide open WRs to start that game. Then he settled down I would have loved to hear what Rick told him. We will never know but coaches have a way in keeping kids in school for the right reasons.

Leinart went back for a 5th year to win another National Title. Also to continue to live the high life as a celebrity in LA.

Luck wanted to complete his Architecture degree - word on the street is he's not all that into football. Also he didn't want to be drafted by the Panthers who were trash at the time.

I dunno but I believe whoever said that kayaa had a problem with richt and richt yelling at him and richt blaming him for the way the offense struggled

I wish some of you would go back and watch the FAU game because I remember it clear as day. We started to open the playbook up and get into the passing game, then richt saw a QB who was showing signs of shell shock as he missed coley wide open.

Richt then went into a power I formation and jammed the ball down their throats with walton all game

I didn't know for sure if richt still had it in him after the va tech game, but my instincts told me and were going against what everyone was saying on the board. That there was nothing wrong with richt and that he was having to game plan around a below average quarterback with the IQ of ryan leaf

Advertisement

Interesting, I had the same thought about their relationship. Just watching the games, their interaction on the sideline, and videos of some of the post-game interviews, I didn't get the feeling they were bonding or had this great relationship. But then again I'm just a fan like the rest of us and don't have personal knowledge of their situation. I wish Kaaya the best regardless. I know he was on scholarship but its still not easy being the QB at the U. Good character building experience though.... and he is a class act!

Rick was clearly frustrated with Kaaya during a few halftime interviews this year. He would say, "We just have to make the read and cut it loose." If a calm even-keel guy like Rick is showing frustration on national TV I can imagine he might have gotten pretty hot at Kaaya behind closed doors.

Advertisement
Rick was clearly frustrated with Kaaya during a few halftime interviews this year. He would say, "We just have to make the read and cut it loose." If a calm even-keel guy like Rick is showing frustration on national TV I can imagine he might have gotten pretty hot at Kaaya behind closed doors.

Yup - I'm sure that screenshot of Njoku wide open down the seem with Kaaya in a clean pocket on a play that somehow resulted in sack was 1 of many examples over the course of the year. Kaaya was a very good QB here but there's a certain moxy he doesn't quite have. He's a cerebral, logical, intelligent QB who can make all the throws but there's an it factor that's missing. His RZ INT against FSU was the turning point in the biggest game of his career. The decision to go pro as opposed to try to accomplishing something special here indicates he's more into making biz decisions than winning football games. That's his right, but it's our right as fans and observers to bake that into our opinions of him. He's got a ton of talent so a great coach may be able to find a way to win with him like Parcells did with Vinny Testaverde, and I would have loved to have him back, but upon final evaluation it's hard to ignore the fact that over his career he almost never came through in big games. Who knows what happens in the bowl game if AR15 doesn't take that 10 yard hitch the distance.

Kaaya stuck with his commitment through the Al Golden dumpster fire and the rumors of the death penalty. He wasn't Bernie Kosar, but he did enough to get us back on the road to success that I think we owe him a thanks. I applaud loyalty to the U. No, he's not in the pantheon of greats because he doesn't have a signature win, but I do think he was a key difference between going 7-6 or going 5-6. It was a good decision to leave because I don't think the offensive line is going to be much better next season and if he is going to get his teeth knocked out, might as well be getting a paycheck for it,even if he could have played himself into the second round (no chance he'd ever turn into a first rounder, too much film on his flaws). I wish him well, in fact I hope he has a Matt Flynn career where he gets drafted by a solid team in the third or fourth round, has a chance to start because of a QB injury, goes 5-0 as a starter, then fools some team into giving him a 50 million dollar contract.

I heard something similar from a difference sauce.

Kaaya just sounds soft to me. He'd rather be a 7th round pick than be coached hard? Does he think NFL coaches are soft and cuddly?

His decision to leave actually is a pretty strong indication that he was either at odds with Richt or the offense philosophy. Otherwise, there's no reason for him to leave - we have a great team returning, he's not starved for money, etc. This shows me he knew he was ill suited to run this offense (and he was). He was also a very inconsistent decision maker out there - left tons of yards and points on the field. I'm sure Richt thinks very highly of the kid (he said as much before the season started), but I think he also knows Kayaa was not a good fit for what he was trying to do.

Advertisement
Back