Juwan Howard

Advertisement
Really? Head coaches? Name someone at the collegiate level who didn't get fired.

Woody Hayes got fired, and he was an Ohio Taint institution.
Woody put his hands on a player. We've seen plenty of coaches pushing each other in heated debate. Howard did make a half *** swing making contact with the Wisconsin assistant. I just think the coaching fraternity doesn't turn on each other even in these situations. The Wisconsin head coach did reach out and prevent Howard from walking by without shaking his hand. That's when the confrontation started. It didn't warrant Howard's actions though.

Howard should publicly apologize to the U of Wisconsin, it's basketball coaches, their fanbase and be suspended for multiple games. The Big10 is in the process of determining disciplinary action.

Last edited:
Woody put his hands on a player. We've seen plenty of coaches pushing each other in heated debate. Howard did make a half *** swing making contact with the Wisconsin assistant. I just think the coaching fraternity doesn't turn on each other even in these situations. The Wisconsin coach did reach out and prevent Howard from walking by without shaking his hand. That's when the confrontation started. It didn't warrant Howard's actions though.

Howard should publicly apologize to the U of Wisconsin, it's basketball coaches, their fanbase and be suspended for multiple games. The Big10 is in the process of determining disciplinary action.

So he hits the player and it's OK, but if he hits another coach, it's fine.

Again, list the HEAD coaches in college who INITIATED a physical altercation. Don't downplay this with "half *** swing" nonsense. Juwan was already being pulled away, he then jumped back in.

This has nothing to do with whether the punch makes contact, or how much damage is done, or who it happens to. This is the actions of the HEAD ******* COACH who is supposed to set the standard for everyone else on the team.

I'm not saying he will or will not be fired, he went to Michigan, I am sure that they are going to do everything possible to retain him. But you also can't easily dismiss it by saying "this happens all the time, it's not firing-worthy". It absolutely does not happen all the time, and it is absolutely firing-worthy.

Again, list the HEAD coaches in college who INITIATED a physical altercation. Don't downplay this with "half *** swing" nonsense. Juwan was already being pulled away, he then jumped back in.

This has nothing to do with whether the punch makes contact, or how much damage is done, or who it happens to. This is the actions of the HEAD ******* COACH who is supposed to set the standard for everyone else on the team.

I'm not saying he will or will not be fired, he went to Michigan, I am sure that they are going to do everything possible to retain him. But you also can't easily dismiss it by saying "this happens all the time, it's not firing-worthy". It absolutely does not happen all the time, and it is absolutely firing-worthy.
I can't disagree with you even though I want to because I grew up in Ann Arbor and have always been a big fan of Michigan basketball (much more so than football).
I think Juwan being a favorite son, having had success early in his coaching career, having 1 son on the team with another on the way, and with another good recruiting class, adds up to a long suspension, an apology and possibly some anger management classes; Juwan loses his temper very fast for a coach.
IMO.

No, hitting a player is not ok. I clearly said it wasn't. What I did say is peer confrontations are common place. Coach v Coach and Player v Player.

You wouldn't be calling for Mario's job if he had done something similar. Opinions all depend on the lenses you're looking thru.

Advertisement
We seem to be going in circles here. Bottom line is this....

1. Coaches need to worry about coaching their own team. If opposing team offends you, make a mental note and move on.
2. People should keep their hands to themselves. Can't grab another man and not expect a response.
3. There's no place in sports for coaches to be fighting other coaches. None.

Juwan Howard simply disciplined the Wisconsin assistant coach who came in as an instigator mouthing off.. Doesn't excuse Howard's actions but lets not act as tho he mushed a peace maker

Last edited:
These handshake lines after games have always struck me as kinda dyslexic. Coach L (the one I've seen the most of) seems to go thru the motions as if he can't wait to go inside and dance (or cry) unless it's an ol buddy of his.

Juwan not wanting to shake Wisconsin coach's hand I guess started this whole thing, but does anyone know if that is a violation of conference policy (or anything else)? I mean, what if Coach L or anyone decided to ignore the opposing team's hand out of being miffed over something, would he be reprimanded or fined or would it be "oh well"?

Advertisement

You guys can unclutch your pearls now, he wasn’t fired for Attempted Murder, unfortunately...

I think that’s fair amount of games for Coach Howard. I expect more suspensions to come out shortly for the other participants as well, on both sides. Howard wasn’t the only instigator and wasn’t the only one throwing blows.

I think he’s lucky to not have been fired. Head Coach is the adult in the room = Control. He totally lacked it there.

Just what if the open hand swipe he threw hit a Wisc player in the head? The state of Michigan would be having another major lawsuit to payout. I’m not putting Howard on the same spectrum as Larry Nasser but how many millions did the state have to payout for his employment at MSU, hundreds? So yeah I think Howard is incredibly lucky to still be employed by the state of Michigan today.

Advertisement
Moral of this story:
Whenever you do something that upsets another person and that person is walking away from you.
Don't grab that upset person and try to explain yourself. Let that person calm down so you both can bring clarity to the situation.

P.S.
If your homeboy escalates the situation, you might get slapped.

All three coaches were wrong in this situation.

Sincerely,

The Adult in the Room

Advertisement
We're too quick to cancel folks or demand firings, but Howard inched very close to the line. He's the so-called adult in the room & can't go around throwing a shot at an opposing coach and instigating a potential brawl. Competition is obviously intense, but there needs to be a sense of civility. Finally, his initial refusal to apologize and BS excuse was very telling.

Advertisement
Back