Juwan Howard

Go Blue College Basketball GIF by Michigan Athletics

Advertisement
Can't be throwing punches when you're the the HBC. I'd say he's out for the year at least.
Agreed. I think he'll for sure be suspended. Michigan will try to minimize and down play the incident. The NCAA and Big 10 will be deciding factors in how long the suspension is for. I can see him getting suspended at the very least for the rest of the regular season.

Advertisement
Bless his heart; he learned that from the Hurricanes football team when he was in Miami.

On a related note, I'm not his pen pal or anything like that, but I've met him a bunch of times while he was in Miami. He's a pretty cool guy, not a loudmouth, friendly, even-keeled (at least until this). Out of character fro him for sure but it can happen - even to the best of us.

Hope it doesn't significantly damage his coaching career.

Advertisement
The beef was between the two HC's.
Why was the assistant (who wound up getting slapped) mouthing off?

He should have stayed the he ll out of it.

Last edited:
sports are better when they get a little heated.I’m sure a lot of people are going to be watching these 2 teams play the next time they play each other

Advertisement
We'll see what happens. You think the Whsky coach is going to press charges? No.

It's also matters who you lay your hands on. A coach on a player or fan definitely fired. It's just not the same when it's a peer under heated circumstances whether it was warranted or not.

A player on a fan or coach is a dismissal. A player on another player is likely a suspension only.
Personally, I wouldn't do it, but Wisconsin asst coach has every right to do so if he wants to. That's his choice. To me it doesn't matter if you put your hands on a coach, player, fan or water boy. Folks should keep their hands to themselves. Only person I think who may get a 1-2 game suspension is Wisconsin's HC. I think Howard, at the very least will have to watch a few games from home.

Hey everyone, look, this guy got fired for doing the same thing back in 1978!

"On December 29, 1978, the Buckeyes played in the Gator Bowl against Clemson. Late in the fourth quarter, Clemson was leading Ohio State 17–15. Freshman quarterback Art Schlichter managed to get Ohio State into field goal range. On third and 5 at the Clemson 24-yard line with 2:30 left and the clock running, Hayes called a pass rather than a run, because Schlichter was having a great game up to that point. Schlichter's next pass was intercepted by Clemson nose guard Charlie Bauman, who returned it toward the Ohio State sideline, where he was run out of bounds. After Bauman stood up facing the OSU sideline Hayes punched him in the throat, triggering a bench-clearing brawl."

If Howard gets fired and these guys still have their jobs, then.....

IYKYK

FRFR that wasn't even a punch that was a FOH hand palm.

There's a difference between shoving and throwing a punch.

Woody Hayes was canned at Ohio State for punching a player. In 1978. The standard has been set.

Juwan is a leader of men. But he royally fugged up. Mind you, he's probably one of the states highest paid employees.

Why shouldn't he fired like Woody Hayes?

With that being said, I hope Juwan gets a second chance. We all need them. It seems to be an isolated incident and he still offers the kids and community so much.

Advertisement
There's a difference between shoving and throwing a punch.

Woody Hayes was canned at Ohio State for punching a player. In 1978. The standard has been set.

Juwan is a leader of men. But he royally fugged up. Mind you, he's probably one of the states highest paid employees.

Why shouldn't he fired like Woody Hayes?

With that being said, I hope Juwan gets a second chance. We all need them. It seems to be an isolated incident and he still offers the kids and community so much.
Not isolated. Howard threatened Mark Turgeon last year in a B1G Tourney game before being ejected.

Howard the Hot Head. Boneheaded move; all over getting butthurt on a late time out.

Keep a Snickers in your pocket next time, Juwon.

Advertisement
Back