Justin Medlock Sr HL

I agree, but 98% of the time these kids aren’t what they’re listed as...especially when it’s some generic Ht/Wt like 6’1 210. My money is on him barely being 6’ and hovering around 200. I rarely pay attention to sizes listed unless they are verified. If that size has been verified for this kid then I missed it.
You’re right. My son is in the Manvel
pipeline right now (middle school) and we’ve hit a few games this year. He’s absolutely faster than Flagg. Flagg was arguably more productive at NS. What I do like is his short area speed and Manvel runs a 4-2-5 currently similar to what UM runs. We need an alpha LB though.

Advertisement
He doesn’t have “below average” size. 6’1” 210 is how big high school linebackers are. Even if he’s a tick smaller, that’s not really a big deal. He looks like he’s got solid instincts and he plays faster than Flagg but he’s not what I’d call explosive. He’s rated a mid three star guy for a reason. Not a bad pickup but not the type of guy you hang your hat on.

@Liberty City El , @gogeta4 @DMoney ... I'm going on record to say Medlock does not improve our talent at LB.

Medlock's junior highlights showed more speed than this. I don't see where you see more speed than Flagg in these highlights. I actually felt he was as slow as Jennings who is slower than Flagg. Zero burst and minimum force. Not sure what happened but he lost a couple steps and got less violent. Maybe got too big too quickly?

This is going to be a very tough class. 2007 and 2011 all over. We're going to reach Michigan State's level with the portal.

Was hoping these clips would showcase more sideline-to-sideline plays. Hard to get a read on speed although he doesn't look slow.

Seems like a Flagg-type based on the clips we have: smart, true LB, coordinated, below-average strike on contact and below-average size. High floor, low ceiling player in a room that needs both competent bodies and physical tools.

He’s faster than Corey. A lot

@Liberty City El , @gogeta4 @DMoney ... I'm going on record to say Medlock does not improve our talent at LB.

Medlock's junior highlights showed more speed than this. I don't see where you see more speed than Flagg in these highlights. I actually felt he was as slow as Jennings who is slower than Flagg. Zero burst and minimum force. Not sure what happened but he lost a couple steps and got less violent. Maybe got too big too quickly?

This is going to be a very tough class. 2007 and 2011 all over. We're going to reach Michigan State's level with the portal.
He’s been playing on a bad ankle all season

Advertisement
He’s been playing on a bad ankle all season

If that's the case then that changes the equation entirely. Throw out this tape and fall back on junior highlights, where he was more disruptive. I recall thinking he could be another Shaq after watching that ... We've had really bad luck with injured LBs. I hope that ankle injury won't be a problem long term.

If that's the case then that changes the equation entirely. Throw out this tape and fall back on junior highlights, where he was more disruptive. I recall thinking he could be another Shaq after watching that ... We've had really bad luck with injured LBs. I hope that ankle injury won't be a problem long term.
I don’t think it will. Typical ankle injury. He just refused to sit out any which is to be expected it’s his senior year. He’ll be cool

Honestly, I’m perfectly fine with an infusion of transfers, especially at corner/DE/LB.

You guys are sleeping on this Medlock kid. Not knocking any comments made, but I think we got a sleeper. I can't wait til he signs on that dotted line & I'm ecstatic to welcome this young man to The 🙌🏾!!!

Advertisement
The kid looks like a MLB. He's good, not great. He's not as twitchy or explosive as I would like but he looks solid in the film I've seen on him. I don't see sideline to sideline ability from him.

As for our LB recruiting the past couple of years, what measurables and testing times are the coaches looking for? The top programs recruit to a certain base line of measurables and testing times in each position group. Our LB room makes no sense in that regard.

I'm going on the record to state I LIKE the Justin Medlock take.

Size potential, Older brother also a div 1 athlete.

Plays the exact same position he will play here (not an athlete being moved to backer)

Kid likely come in with more understanding of th position than any Lb recruit not named Flagg...and appears to be a bit more athletic.

Again to me its all about who he gets paired with in this class.

A better version of Flagg doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies. Our linebacker recruiting has been a mess since Manny and Patke have been here. I know a Top 2 lb in the 2023 class who’s family are Miami fans and because of the lack of development at linebacker and unsteadiness of the program aren’t even considering Miami.

Plays the exact same position he will play here (not an athlete being moved to backer)

Kid likely come in with more understanding of th position than any Lb recruit not named Flagg...and appears to be a bit more athletic.

Who he gets paired with and who coaches him. I’ve seen him and Flagg in HS and Medlock is faster physically. Flagg just has better instincts.

Advertisement

Agree with all that assuming he gets his speed back post injury.

Best trait is how he moves through traffic. The rest, looks decent, but we've had some incredible linebackers come through here. I'd love to see someone on that level again. Tall ask, but I'm greedy.

A better version of Flagg doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies. Our linebacker recruiting has been a mess since Manny and Patke have been here. I know a Top 2 lb in the 2023 class who’s family are Miami fans and because of the lack of development at linebacker and unsteadiness of the program aren’t even considering Miami.
The Deerfield linebacker ?

Advertisement

Dad was too

Advertisement
Back