Justin Medlock Sr HL

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator

Was hoping these clips would showcase more sideline-to-sideline plays. Hard to get a read on speed although he doesn't look slow.

Seems like a Flagg-type based on the clips we have: smart, true LB, coordinated, below-average strike on contact and below-average size. High floor, low ceiling player in a room that needs both competent bodies and physical tools.

Advertisement
Didnt even press play after "flagg type" comment.. LB recruiting is a ******* DISASTER if Flagg is our prototype.. WTF is going on in the Hecht?!We havent recruited a good LB since Diaz has been here, Incredible..

Do we not know what a LB is supposed to look like or what traits they need to possess? below avg size and speed is not the business, lol.. We need to recruit like 10 guys and hope one hits at this rate.. these guys are clueless

Didn’t even watch it and I’m not going to solely because Miami isn’t going into Texas and taking a good linebacker away from Aranda at Baylor and Jeff Choate at Texas when they each only have 1 LB commit for 2022.

Their track record speaks for itself unlike manny.

Advertisement
Much more explosive and better short area burst than Flagg. Looks more violent too, but definitely in the same ball park in terms of instincts, smarts, tracking ball carrier between tackles. We need better, but he is better prospect than Flagg was IMO.

Advertisement
Who was the kid from further up north in FL that was begging for offers (thought he was a bright kid academically too)? Medlock looks ok. Reads the inside run play and tackles nicely (at least in this subset of highlights). He runs the outside crash down decently too as a set play. But isn’t hitting the hole hard.

The other kid was crashing through at point of attack and blowing it up. I’ll try finding the post to get the kid’s name and add to this list. Size can be fixed and speed can be added/taught, but quickness to go along with the instinct is innate and not coached. Need more of that and not this slow, heavy footed tackling.

This kid looks better on film IMO:

Was hoping these clips would showcase more sideline-to-sideline plays. Hard to get a read on speed although he doesn't look slow.

Seems like a Flagg-type based on the clips we have: smart, true LB, coordinated, below-average strike on contact and below-average size. High floor, low ceiling player in a room that needs both competent bodies and physical tools.

We have "physical tools"...Diaz banishes em to the bench never to be heard from again, maybe they get in the mix senior year.

Brooks, Huff, T-A-C...All have varying degrees of physical tools...All better then Flagg/Jennings/ and probably Steed...I'm not saying that each one of them doesn't hav weaknesses...But to say all of them suck or all of them are busts to the point they can not out-perform the ABSOLUTELY horrible LB play in front of them is just too far fetched for me believe OR speaks to how absurdly you've recruited the position. And if it's the fact that none of em are a pure MIKE well that doesn't fly because Brooks has some experience there and TAC has a skill set that he should at least be tried there given the two guys ahead of him + Ragone (who has instincts but is ungodly small and slow) are so bad.

At least try Troutman and Johnson there...The no experience thing doesn't fly when the play is this poor. This whole team should be having an open competition at MLB every week.

Your system, your recruiting, your weekly practice...Something is wrong if your defense is still suffering from this weak of MLB and (other than K.Smith) WLB play. And I honestly thought that Brooks flashed there last year...Maybe he's not 100%??? He gotta be better than this. Flagg every now and then makes a play and it's obvious the instincts are there...He's just Jennings with a little more instincts though because he's too slow to do anything w those instincts.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not a bad prospect. Think he is definitely faster than Flagg and appears to have a beat on the Inside game. I'm thinking a Mike in our scheme. He would pair well with the uber athletic type that they want with like Tolan, Wesley.

I dont know if mentioned on here but they offered a kid out of tampa Jesuit Wade Woodaz or something like that..that is a big safety in high school maybe they see him as a backer ..his film is pretty solid and Jesuit seems to be good this year.

I maybe have stated for 3 years now that they dont evaluate well at lb. Also k never know what they truly want at that spot either. It isnt any rhyme or reason for the types they go after. Just look at the current group..its a hog wash of different skills and sizes...its all over the place.

Not a bad prospect. Think he is definitely faster than Flagg and appears to have a beat on the Inside game. I'm thinking a Mike in our scheme. He would pair well with the uber athletic type that they want with like Tolan, Wesley.

I dont know if mentioned on here but they offered a kid out of tampa Jesuit Wade Woodaz or something like that..that is a big safety in high school maybe they see him as a backer ..his film is pretty solid and Jesuit seems to be good this year.

I maybe have stated for 3 years now that they dont evaluate well at lb. Also k never know what they truly want at that spot either. It isnt any rhyme or reason for the types they go after. Just look at the current group..its a hog wash of different skills and sizes...its all over the place.

Agree 1000%...As I stated above, I can see the weaknesses or perceived weaknesses of a few of our guys...But then why recruit them? If Brooks isn't good enough to get in front of Steed or continue his MLB experiment why wasn't he moved to DE a year ago? If Huff is too thin for LB...Why isn't he tried at striker...If you didn't like his skill set for striker why recruit him?? He's always been rail thin...Maybe someone doesn't know the playbook...I get it. But all of them don't? Would Tolan even see the field here because Diaz is scared to death he may overrun and occasional play even year the 8th year senior that plays before him will cost you an extra 100 yards rushing per game because he is being asked to chase down players he will never catch in his life?

And I agree I think Medlock looks faster than Flagg. I don't see much thump...And all though that isn't the be all/end all for the position it does speak to explosiveness and I would like to see LB recruits make kids go backwards on high school tape if we are recruiting them at LB. Overall I like Medlock tape better than Flagg though. Looks to have great backer instincts and decent speed against what I assume would be very good comp.

If we are NEVER going to have 3 conventional LB on the field in this defense... (Not sure if we do in short yardage/goal line)...but if we always have a striker/or nickel on the field...Then why do we have a whole ******* roster full of Wils?

Steed
Brooks (not practicing, in or headed to portal?)
TAC
K.Smith (former striker and obvious player)
T.Johnson
Troutman (probable Mike)
Huff

You are going out of your way to waste roster space....

And Ragone plays before all of them except K.Smith and Steed (Steed is average, I'm not knocking the kid)?????

Then your top target is Blissainthe (who they probably won't look at Mike and will be a Will here)

I was not aware of the Tampa kid, will check out...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Actually ended up watching it out of boredom. Reminds me of the kid we dropped - or maybe he just decommitted - because we had Shaq, Pink, and McCloud ahead of him in the 2016 class. I think he ended up at Nebraska (Simmons i think).

Not that fast, doesn't hit that hard, doesn't do anything great, doesn't jump off the screen. Might be decent but that's about it. Like every other true LB we've recruited since the 2017 class.

6'1" 210 is not small for h.s. LBer.

I agree, but 98% of the time these kids aren’t what they’re listed as...especially when it’s some generic Ht/Wt like 6’1 210. My money is on him barely being 6’ and hovering around 200. I rarely pay attention to sizes listed unless they are verified. If that size has been verified for this kid then I missed it.

Advertisement
Back