Justin hodges jumping out the gym.

Of course this doesn't mean that he can play football, but you want explosive athletes on defense. And this does in fact mean that he's at least somewhat explosive. Combine this with the fact that he can do standing backflips in pads at 6'2".

Just checkin' the boxes fellas.

No need to explain yourself. We have seen the kids tape. People didn’t think much of Redwine as an athlete until he was doing backflips like Nadia Comeneci (showing my age here) midfield after the Duke miracle win.

2 years later the Redwine had a 40 VJ and ran a 4.45 40 at the combine and is a top 4 round pick. Nuff said.

Advertisement
WHAT?

Yall on drugs in here....just saying anything.

Are you not familiar with the box jump? Very often people with lower verticals can box jump higher than people with a higher vertical because of their body types. It depends on leg length, hip flexibility etc. Why do you think the combine has you do a vertical jump not a box jump?

A single vertical, box jump, 40, etc is one data point and could mean athlete, or could mean nothing. It's all about the context.

If a kid can jump through the gym but can't outrun a fullback, it doesn't mean help much. A kid can run a 4.5 but have a terrible shuttle/3-cone and be tight-hipped as all **** with no wiggle. It's a nice video but you need more.

No need to explain yourself. We have seen the kids tape. People didn’t think much of Redwine as an athlete until he was doing backflips like Nadia Comeneci (showing my age here) midfield after the Duke miracle win.

2 years later the Redwine had a 40 VJ and ran a 4.45 40 at the combine and is a top 4 round pick. Nuff said.
Yeah I doubt Nadia could do those after he ***** started to grow.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You heard Dmoney. The vertical is the best indicator of what kind of athlete you are.
@Lance Roffers just ran a big series on this and found the 20 yard shuttle was the best indicator of general football talent, and especially for skill position players. Vertical seemed to be more positively associated with safeties, linebackers, and some ends that were big hitters.

Of course this doesn't mean that he can play football, but you want explosive athletes on defense. And this does in fact mean that he's at least somewhat explosive. Combine this with the fact that he can do standing backflips in pads at 6'2".

Just checkin' the boxes fellas.
Thank you!!!

Advertisement
Are you not familiar with the box jump? Very often people with lower verticals can box jump higher than people with a higher vertical because of their body types. It depends on leg length, hip flexibility etc. Why do you think the combine has you do a vertical jump not a box jump?
Proof. I don’t believe this statement.

OK but both require strengths...and last I checked hip flexibility is a good thing. You are nitpicking

It's still impressive.

Proof. I don’t believe this statement.

Go to any football, basketball, wrestling, or any sport team that uses box jumps in training. You will plenty of kids get beat on box jumps by kids that have lower verticals.

Just use common sense. If you can jump 1 inch higher than me, but I can tuck my knees 2 inches closer to my chest. I will have a higher box jump than you by 1 inch and you will have a higher vertical than me by 1 inch.

Advertisement
Go to any football, basketball, wrestling, or any sport team that uses box jumps in training. You will plenty of kids get beat on box jumps by kids that have lower verticals.

Just use common sense. If you can jump 1 inch higher than me, but I can tuck my knees 2 inches closer to my chest. I will have a higher box jump than you by 1 inch and you will have a higher vertical than me by 1 inch.
That’s not necessarily the best proof but I get what your saying. Box jump is to vertical jump as leg press is to squat.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back