Just turned 50...

Never been, hope to someday. Which version you like better?

I mean...I prefer the old octagon (or was it a hexagon?). It smelled bad, the bathrooms were sketchy, but it had character.

And a great second floor balcony for checking people out and catching "free ****" on Thursday Promo Nights...

Advertisement
Thanks for posting the pics. LSU v. Miami 1988 at the old Rat. Epic. I think it was like dime beers and half off every time we scored.

You were watching the game at The Rat while I was getting arrested in Death Valley (Brit can tell you)...

Good times!

Advertisement
Old. Just like orange bowl

new one is great but just a way different vibe.
Loved the old one. Was good friends with one of the bouncers my sophomore through senior yrs (91/92-93/94). Lots of after hours with the staff finishing off kegs that were already tapped

Had major reconstructive surgery...

Skit, skat...

Old:
the-rat-um.jpg

New:
View attachment 229410

Congratulations my brotha.

Advertisement
Old school Rat was the best. As a student, if you knew the right people that worked there, after hours drinks and appetizers sitting out on the patio were commonplace. I knew the right people.

Advertisement
Congratulations my brotha.

Just to be clear, for everyone, I AM NOT REFERRING TO MYSELF.

I am referring to The Rathskeller turning 50. February 10, 1973, the "supposed only legal bar in Coral Gables" opened its doors for the first time...

Advertisement
There was never anything quite like a pitcher and a Dean Sandler sub out on the rocking benches overlooking the lake on a Thursday afternoon

There was never anything quite like a pitcher and a Dean Sandler sub out on the rocking benches overlooking the lake on a Thursday afternoon

I wasn't there when they were naming subs after Deans...pray tell, what was ON the Dean Sandler Sub?

I'm going to guess white bread, mayo, ham, American, and lettuce...

Advertisement
Back