Just leaving this here

Couldn't agree more. Simplify things for him. Kaaya is not used to making these reads. Test that RPO stuff only sparingly and when we have big leads. Ease into it. Let him do what he's proven he is good at.

We are asking our coach to simplify things for a 3rd year starter that has NFL aspirations. Are you kidding me? Not saying Richt hasn't been dog **** the last few games but Kaaya 100% has to be better. I'm not blaming Richt Right for Kaaya ****ting his pants every 3rd down (which he also did against FAU btw) and missing wide open receivers by a mile. That's all Kaaya.

I'm not talking about simplifying from a playbook standpoint or route standpoint. I'm talking about not bogging him down with all that pre and post-snap decision making and not asking him to run a system that he's never run that requires too much movement from him.

You're taking a painfully slow guy who doesn't appear to make decisions all that quickly and asking him to ride the RB and make a split second decision to give him the ball or pull it out and then try to set his feet to make a throw. It's too much, and it's not working.

Put him in the gun and let him do what he's shown he can do. Get in a rhythm and play some pitch and catch.

How much discretion does kaaya have? If richt is letting him make reads at the line before the play then I think it's reasonable to put more blame on kaaya. He's a third year player who has seen a lot of defenses. By now he should be able to see the matchups and put us in a favorable play. He's missing a lot of reads. It made sense to simplify the defensive scheme but I don't think it does for the offense. Play calling has been too restrictive

Bottom line: Rick is the HC and OC. Kaaya is a college kid. It's up to the guy making $4M to dial up good plays and not leave it up to a college kid.

Now that there's 3 desultory samples against the 3 P5 teams we have played it's clear the offense isn't working. It's up to the guy making $4M to fix things and find things that the college kid is comfortable doing to get him rolling.

I agree with Franchise, Kaaya has cement feet but if he's the best QB we got it's Richt's job to get him firing on rythm. Some of it's been Richt play calling, some of it's on the OL, some of it's on Kaaya, and some of it's on the wr/te's dropping passes but at the end of the day it's really all on him.

All that aside my real issue with Kaaya is his lack of leadership. He just doesn't have that swag confidence go for the kill I'm taking this over type leadership. But again, if he's our QB it's Richt's job to find out what's best and make it work which he ain't doing.

Dorsey would throw a duck and be on the sidelines like "****** I don't care how bad my pass is you catch it" lol. Berlin would get that fire in him to do whatever it took to win. Even Jacory had a little dog swag in him, not much but a little.

I was watching Green Bay vs Dallas on Sunday and if Brad Kaaya had as much time as Aaron Rodgers does to pass he would be shredding it. But he doesn't and that's for Richt to figure out something to make it work. He's got faults but he is still a very good QB and the best one on the team.

Advertisement
I blame the coach, his game calling sucks, too much running of first down, too much running period with such a horrible run blocking line and with average RB's. Throw the ball to open up the run with this team, not the other way around. A junior high coach could have called a better game.

You're right. Instead of running behind our horrible run blocking line,we should throw far more incompletions & interceptions & strand our defense on the field the entire game so we can then ***** about them too behind our even worse pass blocking line... news flash. Can't call the game the way you'd like if your qb is irrelevant

Stats don't tell the whole story in college football. When there is a huge talent disparity in half the games you play, of course a good QB is going to put up solid numbers. You gotta look at Brad's stats at more of a micro-level.

Stats don't define signature wins, game-winning drives, mental/physical toughness, and the will to win that guys like Ken Dorsey had.

Brock fvckin Berlin never let FSU beat him. Kaaya is 0-3 against them and in games in which twice he could've beaten them on the final drive. That is the kinda stuff that can't be measured on an excel spreadsheet.

Couldn't have said it any better.

No, my larger point is that Kaaya can go on and break all the passing records at UM but what substance do all those stats carry if he hasn't had a career-defining moment? For example, he posted 368 yards and 3 TDs against AppSt, monster numbers against sub-par competition.

Yes, Dorsey had the greatest team in CFB history but he beat a #1 ranked FSU, #2 ranked VaTech, and the #7 ranked Florida team all in the same year. Led the team to 34 consecutive wins and what should've been back-to-back national championships.

I want Brad to go out and do it against teams that matter...

I can't grasp how we still don't understand football is a team sport. Everyone has a role & until they take pride in each others role & do their parts we won't have many of those career defining moments. Cause the teams youre speaking on don't usually sabotage the other players roles. Get brad even close to the blocking that Ken or brock or any of those dudes had then we can speak about brad. Brads team is inferior in every manner to those teams. Try not to forget that. Being as that most um fans are dolphin fans as well yall should remember that fact well. Ask Dan Marino about how that works. Team sports gents

Personally this is why I don't think enough stock is put into where kids are from. Obviously plenty of kids break the mold. But the mold is real,it does exist... kids from California in most instances play in advanced offenses, as a result often they are better prepared for the next level than most. A lot of them also have been playing the positions for a long period of time opposed to a lot of other states they sortve settle on a qb based upon athleticism or other intangibles. The negative on these cali kids is in most instances they've never seen big physical defenses that are fast & can get on them. As a result they become she'll shocked. For me that's where brads at right now. What I wish we would go back to doing is putting more effort into recruiting qbs from out of the East coast (Pennsylvania)in particular. If you dont understand why Pennsylvania go look at the top 10 qbs out of that state.it's absurd! I'll take a Texas kid too. All I don't usually want is a kid from Florida or in lesser extent California. Cali can work for us if our line just becomes reliable finally.

Personally this is why I don't think enough stock is put into where kids are from. Obviously plenty of kids break the mold. But the mold is real,it does exist... kids from California in most instances play in advanced offenses, as a result often they are better prepared for the next level than most. A lot of them also have been playing the positions for a long period of time opposed to a lot of other states they sortve settle on a qb based upon athleticism or other intangibles. The negative on these cali kids is in most instances they've never seen big physical defenses that are fast & can get on them. As a result they become she'll shocked. For me that's where brads at right now. What I wish we would go back to doing is putting more effort into recruiting qbs from out of the East coast (Pennsylvania)in particular. If you dont understand why Pennsylvania go look at the top 10 qbs out of that state.it's absurd! I'll take a Texas kid too. All I don't usually want is a kid from Florida or in lesser extent California. Cali can work for us if our line just becomes reliable finally.

could not agree more. i'm not quite willing to fully accept the argument against QBs who come from high socioeconomic backgrounds (like California), but i also think it plays a part. lots of these kids are pampered with qb gurus and other training before they can drive a car. it means these kids are "ready to play" earlier (rosen, kaaya, etc) but that isn't necessarily the best thing. they might prematurely reach their potential, leaving everyone to think their ceiling is higher than it actually is. the kids have personal qb coaches telling them one thing, their coaches telling them another, nfl draft "experts" telling them another, and fans telling them even more. i aint giving up on Kaaya, but its an interesting topic.

Advertisement
We are asking our coach to simplify things for a 3rd year starter that has NFL aspirations. Are you kidding me? Not saying Richt hasn't been dog **** the last few games but Kaaya 100% has to be better. I'm not blaming Richt Right for Kaaya ****ting his pants every 3rd down (which he also did against FAU btw) and missing wide open receivers by a mile. That's all Kaaya.

I'm not talking about simplifying from a playbook standpoint or route standpoint. I'm talking about not bogging him down with all that pre and post-snap decision making and not asking him to run a system that he's never run that requires too much movement from him.

You're taking a painfully slow guy who doesn't appear to make decisions all that quickly and asking him to ride the RB and make a split second decision to give him the ball or pull it out and then try to set his feet to make a throw. It's too much, and it's not working.

Put him in the gun and let him do what he's shown he can do. Get in a rhythm and play some pitch and catch.

How much discretion does kaaya have? If richt is letting him make reads at the line before the play then I think it's reasonable to put more blame on kaaya. He's a third year player who has seen a lot of defenses. By now he should be able to see the matchups and put us in a favorable play. He's missing a lot of reads. It made sense to simplify the defensive scheme but I don't think it does for the offense. Play calling has been too restrictive

Bottom line: Rick is the HC and OC. Kaaya is a college kid. It's up to the guy making $4M to dial up good plays and not leave it up to a college kid.

Now that there's 3 desultory samples against the 3 P5 teams we have played it's clear the offense isn't working. It's up to the guy making $4M to fix things and find things that the college kid is comfortable doing to get him rolling.

I agree with Franchise, Kaaya has cement feet but if he's the best QB we got it's Richt's job to get him firing on rythm. Some of it's been Richt play calling, some of it's on the OL, some of it's on Kaaya, and some of it's on the wr/te's dropping passes but at the end of the day it's really all on him.

All that aside my real issue with Kaaya is his lack of leadership. He just doesn't have that swag confidence go for the kill I'm taking this over type leadership. But again, if he's our QB it's Richt's job to find out what's best and make it work which he ain't doing.

Dorsey would throw a duck and be on the sidelines like "****** I don't care how bad my pass is you catch it" lol. Berlin would get that fire in him to do whatever it took to win. Even Jacory had a little dog swag in him, not much but a little.

I was watching Green Bay vs Dallas on Sunday and if Brad Kaaya had as much time as Aaron Rodgers does to pass he would be shredding it. But he doesn't and that's for Richt to figure out something to make it work. He's got faults but he is still a very good QB and the best one on the team.

Unfortunately, too many people fall into the trap that this guy is in, thinking that coaches control everything and if a kid fails it's the coach's fault. How many examples do we need to give around here before people realize that it's about the players? Malzahn, Dantonio, Patterson, Meyer, Sumlin, etc. When those guys don't have the players, they don't win. There isn't a single coach out there who takes crap and turns it into a winner. But if it helps you people cope, by all means, put it all on Richt's shoulders in his first six games with someone else's roster.

The generalizations about where good tough QBs come from are funny. There's zero science behind any of that.

Brad was better his first two years here. He got worse in Rick's system as a 3rd year starter, and the offense is significantly worse against the same P5 teams compared to last year.

That's not the way it's supposed to happen. So quit trying to deflect any responsibility for this decline away from Rick.

Brad SHOULD BE better than he was last year. And the same OL unit from last year SHOULD BE better than they were last year.

That's the way it's supposed to work even if you don't fire the incompetent amateur OC and replace him with a 30 year coaching vet who you're paying $4M. Even if Coley had stayed, your player are SUPPOSED TO get better with more experience and physical and emotional maturity and strength.

The generalizations about where good tough QBs come from are funny. There's zero science behind any of that.

Brad was better his first two years here. He got worse in Rick's system as a 3rd year starter, and the offense is significantly worse against the same P5 teams compared to last year.

That's not the way it's supposed to happen. So quit trying to deflect any responsibility for this decline away from Rick.

Brad SHOULD BE better than he was last year. And the same OL unit from last year SHOULD BE better than they were last year.

That's the way it's supposed to work even if you don't fire the incompetent amateur OC and replace him with a 30 year coaching vet who you're paying $4M. Even if Coley had stayed, your player are SUPPOSED TO get better with more experience and physical and emotional maturity and strength.

there's not zero science behind it

I heard about it around 4 days ago being talked about, cali QB's are becoming JAGs more and more often based on the last 5 years or something along those lines

I blame the coach, his game calling sucks, too much running of first down, too much running period with such a horrible run blocking line and with average RB's. Throw the ball to open up the run with this team, not the other way around. A junior high coach could have called a better game.

You're right. Instead of running behind our horrible run blocking line,we should throw far more incompletions & interceptions & strand our defense on the field the entire game so we can then ***** about them too behind our even worse pass blocking line... news flash. Can't call the game the way you'd like if your qb is irrelevant

I caution about blaming the OL too much. Might be the blocking scheme? Who knows, really?

Advertisement
One thing is certain, it's obvious who thinks and doesn't think a QB can make those around them better. Whether it's the OL, WR's, RB's, or TE's....a good QB is what makes an offense go.

There's a reason some offenses go in the ******* for a year or two even when they have a supposed offensive genius calling plays.

There's a reason why the NFL has placed so many restrictions on defenses to try and protect today's QB's.

Dorsey, would've made any of BK's teams better. To a man, there's a reason all of those studs on his team's name him the unquestionable leader on offense.

One thing is certain, it's obvious who thinks and doesn't think a QB can make those around them better. Whether it's the OL, WR's, RB's, or TE's....a good QB is what makes an offense go.

There's a reason some offenses go in the ****ter for a year or two even when they have a supposed offensive genius calling plays.

There's a reason why the NFL has placed so many restrictions on defenses to try and protect today's QB's.

Dorsey, would've made any of BK's teams better. To a man, there's a reason all of those studs on his team's name him the unquestionable leader on offense.

You are right, of course. I just can't figure out how knowledgable football fans like many of the guys around here still think it's all about "play calling" and "scheme".

There's a reason some offenses go in the ****ter for a year or two even when they have a supposed offensive genius calling plays.

You are right, of course. I just can't figure out how knowledgable football fans like many of the guys around here still think it's all about "play calling" and "scheme".

You quoted me earlier like I said it was. No, it's not all about play calling or scheme, Richt is right about that, it's overrated. But you also don't put a nickle d out there on a 4th and 1 when they are going to run and you don't run i formation into a 9 man box when the defense knows you're going to run it, that's on the coach calling the play. Richt has been calling some questionable sets and it affects the players. Now like I said earlier which you ignored it's on the OL, the WR/TE drops, Kaaya, etc. too but it's his job as the leader to keep it a well oiled machine.

You quoted me earlier like I said it was. No, it's not all about play calling or scheme, Richt is right about that, it's overrated. But you also don't put a nickle d out there on a 4th and 1 when they are going to run and you don't run i formation into a 9 man box when the defense knows you're going to run it, that's on the coach calling the play. Richt has been calling some questionable sets and it affects the players. Now like I said earlier which you ignored it's on the OL, the WR/TE drops, Kaaya, etc. too but it's his job as the leader to keep it a well oiled machine.

Let me give you some advice, champ. If you're going to quote me, respond to what I wrote in that quote. Don't get offended and bring up other stuff that I wasn't even talking about, especially when the quote wasn't directed at you, K?

Advertisement

Unfortunately, too many people fall into the trap that this guy is in, thinking that coaches control everything and if a kid fails it's the coach's fault. How many examples do we need to give around here before people realize that it's about the players? Malzahn, Dantonio, Patterson, Meyer, Sumlin, etc. When those guys don't have the players, they don't win. There isn't a single coach out there who takes crap and turns it into a winner. But if it helps you people cope, by all means, put it all on Richt's shoulders in his first six games with someone else's roster.
Am I missing the sarcasm in this post? Urban Meyer went 12 - 0 with an Ohio State team that went 6 - 7 (and lost to Al Golden) the previous year. He is the textbook example of why coaching trumps everything else. Similarly, Texas A&M was 7 - 6 the year before Sumlin took over. They went 11 - 2 in his first season as HC. Ask Michigan fans if they think coaching matters.

Do you really think TCU has more talent than Miami? Does Miami not have enough talent to score more points against UNC than James Madison? Yes, players still need to execute but it is the coaches job to fix mistakes and put the players in the best position to win. The bottom line is Richt hasn't done that the last two weeks.

Am I missing the sarcasm in this post? Urban Meyer went 12 - 0 with an Ohio State team that went 6 - 7 (and lost to Al Golden) the previous year. He is the textbook example of why coaching trumps everything else. Similarly, Texas A&M was 7 - 6 the year before Sumlin took over. They went 11 - 2 in his first season as HC. Ask Michigan fans if they think coaching matters.

Do you really think TCU has more talent than Miami? Does Miami not have enough talent to score more points against UNC than James Madison? Yes, players still need to execute but it is the coaches job to fix mistakes and put the players in the best position to win. The bottom line is Richt hasn't done that the last two weeks.

Urban Meyer is certainly one of the best two in the business. I was more referring to his post-Tebow days when he couldn't figure out what to do with the personnel he had.

Sumlin has gone from 11-2 to 8-5 back to 6-0. He had the players and now he has the players. He didn't have the players in between. Same with Gary Patterson. He has a 5-loss season for every 0/1 loss season in his career.

Obviously coaching matters. Great coaching with great players = national title appearances (Urban Meyer 2006, 2008, 2014). Great coaching with mediocre players = losses (Urban Meyer 2007, 2010).

Bad coaching never wins. We get that. Al Golden. But great coaching isn't a plug and play thing. Even those guys have to get dudes into the program.

Yes, players still need to execute but it is the coaches job to fix mistakes and put the players in the best position to win. The bottom line is Richt hasn't done that the last two weeks.

Yeah, but this isn't a short term thing. It never is. We agree that Nick Saban and Urban Meyer are the best, right? Those guys have had seasons in which they didn't figure it out within the framework of their 12 games. They identified issues and fixed them before the next season, typically with personnel moves. This attitude that great coaches fix things on the run is a fallacy. It doesn't happen, even with the best.

Advertisement

What you fail to mention is that Ohio State was 12-1 the year before they went 6-7. It's not like Meyer took over a team that was averaging 6-8 wins a year for a decade. He took over a team that was 12-1, 11-2, 10-3, 11-2 (lost in national title game), 12-1, 10-2, 8-4, 11-2, 14-0. Meyer is a great coach, but he didn't reinvent the wheel at OSU.

Let me give you some advice, champ. If you're going to quote me, respond to what I wrote in that quote. Don't get offended and bring up other stuff that I wasn't even talking about, especially when the quote wasn't directed at you, K?

Not offended, this is a message board, nice misdirection... Didn't need to quote you, you continually post like Richt has nothing to do with our offensive woes. Just quoting one of your MANY post saying as such and saying it's not all about him but you act like none of its on him.

What you fail to mention is that Ohio State was 12-1 the year before they went 6-7. It's not like Meyer took over a team that was averaging 6-8 wins a year for a decade. He took over a team that was 12-1, 11-2, 10-3, 11-2 (lost in national title game), 12-1, 10-2, 8-4, 11-2, 14-0. Meyer is a great coach, but he didn't reinvent the wheel at OSU.

Exactly!

Ohio State fans will tell you there is no way that team was as bad as their record indicated. Luke Fickell was in WAY OVER his head as the interim HC when Tressel resigned.

Exactly!

Ohio State fans will tell you there is no way that team was as bad as their record indicated. Luke Fickell was in WAY OVER his head as the interim HC when Tressel resigned.
And all knowledgeable UM fans will tell you our team has been way more talented than our records indicated and that our offense this year has enough talent to put up better numbers than some lesser talented teams have put up on our P5 opponents (and even against FAU for that matter).

Advertisement
Back