Junior is officially an alum

Advertisement
The 4 years “flew” by… man…. Hey Pentagon- Russell Maryland spoke at the Legacy reception at The Rat on Thursday night. His daughter Olivia, communications major, is part of the Class of ‘22 (She lights up a room, BTW). He said two things that are true of our sons. First, he said, Canes outwork everyone, that certainly sounds true of your son, and I know mine closed the library on many a night, among other things. The other is that Canes use UM as a springboard to to strive obtain “the next level” in whatever their field of endeavor. I think our sons’ are just getting started on making their mark on the world. Again, congrats to our sons. Here’s to their future.…. Cheers.
I told Chris you will truly arrive when you fly your jet over Hard Rock (or the new stadium) before kickoff in 8 to 10 years. Haha.

On that note, my son' girlfriend who also just graduated is headed to Cal Tech for her dictorate. Her mentor is at JPL.

Where is your son headed to med school?

Last edited:
Do I need to speak to my wife?

Ha! Scott is a reelly nice guy, and I trust you and your wife. The good news is that your son is a UM legacy either way, though!

;)

Congratulations again, really happy to see such nice pix from you and Gonzo. Don't any of the graduates jump in the fountain anymore, or did Frenk outlaw that?!

Advertisement
What airframe would he like to match with at drop?
Great question. I know he wants to drop bombs. He is intrigued by the Lancer. He was originally intrigued with Gunships because of me, but he was told on the AC-130J the FCO does the shooting not the AC. I told him I would go MC-130J Combat Talon IIIs to fly TF/TA.. He could eventually fly the SOLL mission on C-17s. Low level on NVGs doing 6 miles per minute would be fun. He said he now thinks A-10s. He loves the gun. I gave him a replica of the Hog which has a targeting pod I put on it 20 years ago. The Grumman guys gave it to me when I retired.

Ha! Scott is a reelly nice guy, and I trust you and your wife. The good news is that your son is a UM legacy either way, though!

;)

Congratulations again, really happy to see such nice pix from you and Gonzo. Don't any of the graduates jump in the fountain anymore, or did Frenk outlaw that?!
I don't think so but I would.

Great question. I know he wants to drop bombs. He is intrigued by the Lancer. He was originally intrigued with Gunships because of me, but he was told on the AC-130J the FCO does the shooting not the AC. I told him I would go MC-130J Combat Talon IIIs to fly TF/TA.. He could eventually fly the SOLL mission on C-17s. Low level on NVGs doing 6 miles per minute would be fun. He said he now thinks A-10s. He loves the gun. I gave him a replica of the Hog which has a targeting pod I put on it 20 years ago. The Grumman guys gave it to me when I retired.
I’d say fighter or A-10. Those low levels are no joke for passengers in a c130. I had to endure them at my last unit out of Kadena. I’ve really only ever worked close with c130 and F16. My buddy who went to FSU ‘disgusting’ is now F15 stationed out of Lakenheath and he loves it, travels all over Europe on his time off, plus all the cool places they go for trainings.

I told Chris you will truly arrive when you fly your jet over Hard Rock (or the new stadium) before kickoff in 8 to 10 years. Haha.

On that note, my son' girlfriend who also just graduated is headed to Cal Tech for her dictorate. Her mentor is at JPL.

Where is your son headed to med school?
I’d bet on that happening with your son. Mike is taking a year off from academics to get some experience and build his resume- wants to get EMT cert and do ER work- I see him as an ER doc- adrenaline junky, can’t sit still. Looking to come back to northeast for med school. His girlfriend, who he met at UM, finishes next year, also looking at med school (she’s from ‘Frisco) so who knows. I do trust his judgement though, makes good choices (must get that from his mother) and I don’t sweat him.

Advertisement
We took some pics by the fountain at the Law School Slab. My wife had to give me “the look” because she knew what I was thinking.

Ha! They put the fountain in the law school quadrangle right as @Canesfreak and I were finishing up. I don't think there's a big tradition of jumping around in THAT fountain, but somewhere I have pix from my undergrad/MBA graduations where I'm in the "palm court" fountain behind Ashe.

I think they have security cameras all over campus now, so there's probably no more "put laundry detergent in the fountain" pranks any longer...

Don't know how much life the Bone has left...Osprey getting mothballed...A-10 has 99 lives...

interesting battle wagon concepts they are working for C-17/C-130...

Did you see float plane version for Herc? Cool.idea.

I’d say fighter or A-10. Those low levels are no joke for passengers in a c130. I had to endure them at my last unit out of Kadena. I’ve really only ever worked close with c130 and F16. My buddy who went to FSU ‘disgusting’ is now F15 stationed out of Lakenheath and he loves it, travels all over Europe on his time off, plus all the cool places they go for trainings.
Never really worried about the folks in the back. At a couple hundred of feet AGL, you are worried about not smacking into the ground. I figure if I die the folks in the back die a split nanosecond after me.

We lost a Talon 2 in Albania about 17 years ago in the mountains doing TF/TA. Even with a great radar and a couple of navs and flight engineer, it is a dangerous business.

We did some low-level work in the Gunship, but getting up to altitude was little watching a flying brick with wings. Not exactly the element of surprise over the target.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Don't know how much life the Bone has left...Osprey getting mothballed...A-10 has 99 lives...

interesting battle wagon concepts they are working for C-17/C-130...

Did you see float plane version for Herc? Cool.idea.
Cool concept, but not a fan of landing in the water pontoons or not. We lost a Gunship off Kenya that was forced to ditch in 1993. Pilots did a good job, but they hit some rocks just off the shore. Dumb accident. When you tweak your guns over water, you drop a salt activated buoy as a marker to shoot your guns. In the H-model that was 40mm and 105mm. There is an observer bubble on back ramp. The guys are supposed to open it and drop the buoy from the bubble. Gunners actually tried to slide the buoy through 105mm barrel because popping the observer bubble at altitude can be dangerous if not careful. But not using the observer bubble is non-standard and very dangerous. They did not clear the gun and when they shot the round it blew up because the buoy never left the barrel. The explosion caused an inflight fire. A couple of guys bailed out but died because they were too low. A couple died during the crash. Very sad.

Cool concept, but not a fan of landing in the water pontoons or not. We lost a Gunship off Kenya that was forced to ditch in 1993. Pilots did a good job, but they hit some rocks just off the shore. Dumb accident. When you tweak your guns over water, you drop a salt activated buoy as a marker to shoot your guns. In the H-model that was 40mm and 105mm. There is an observer bubble on back ramp. The guys are supposed to open it and drop the buoy from the bubble. Gunners actually tried to slide the buoy through 105mm barrel because popping the observer bubble at altitude can be dangerous if not careful. But not using the observer bubble is non-standard and very dangerous. They did not clear the gun and when they shot the round it blew up because the buoy never left the barrel. The explosion caused an inflight fire. A couple of guys bailed out but died because they were too low. A couple died during the crash. Very sad.
I vaguely remember being told of that mishap. Tragic for sure.

Advertisement
I vaguely remember being told of that mishap. Tragic for sure.
Jockey 14. Look it up. I had just left Mogadishu two weeks before the crash. I gave the year wrong. I got to Mogadishu in October 1993 and left first week in March 1994. I passed back through Mombasa. Crews were staying at the White Sands.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back