July 29, 2023 BBQ

If anyone sauces a properly smoked brisket that isn't dried out, they're a piece of **** plain and simple. Anything else with sauce is fair game. I prefer Memphis dry rub on my ribs but I always sauce a rack for the wife and kids.

If I ever see someone saucing my brisket its either fisticuffs or seppuku.

Suicide Samurai GIF
IMO both beef and pork only require s&p; a dabble of dry rub is acceptable for certain dishes or applications but that's about it. If one can't appreciate the taste of smoked and salted beef and pork, maybe they should be eating tofu or soy burgers.

Advertisement
There's always a food truck somewhere that has the stuff. In Idaho we have this food truck the guy built his own smoker in to it. It's some of the best BBQ I've ever had.
This. Good BBQ is not hard - but it takes some learning and experience. Start with quality protein, control your smoke and heat, learn when to pull and rest... then enjoy.

Good bbq is like good poon, hard to describe succinctly, but you know when you're getting it!

It’s not like real bbq. It’s just that as a kid I grew up going there for the beef sandwiches and corn. My father was going there as a student at UM in the 50’s. It’s just one of those places I guess.

Haven’t eaten there in years though.

Their bbq is meh. I still stop in for the corn and the Shorty’s sauce when I’m in Davie. I loved going to Shorty’s with my grandmother as a kid so for me it’s more about nostalgia and of course, that blazing, hot *** corn and Shorty’s sauce that I cover my fries in.

Advertisement
Up here in Brevard county, BBQ is basically non-existent. Breaks my heart. We have a place, Crydemans, they are above average.

One coworker recommended a place up in cocoa.

By home in west palm there are few places, McCrays's Ribs is one of my favorites.

True story. I went to HS in Merritt Island and for years , the only choice you had for BBQ in the area was Fat Boys and they even closed up shop. The best thing on their menu was their fried chicken.

Their bbq is meh. I still stop in for the corn and the Shorty’s sauce when I’m in Davie. I loved going to Shorty’s with my grandmother as a kid so for me it’s more about nostalgia and of course, that blazing, hot *** corn and Shorty’s sauce that I cover my fries in.
Yeah, that sauce on the sandwich and fries. Literally used to go as a kid like you but haven’t been there in decades.

Advertisement
Yeah I'm well aware of the issues. I live right by there and a close friend of ours was actually helping them try to fight that fight legally. I was there every Friday night. Was one of my favorite spots and every time we drive by it I get a little ticked off. As a former CCHS guy I was rooting for them even a little harder.

You want world class Bar B Q? Next time you are anywhere near Dallas head over to Pecan Lodge. For my money...that's the best Bar B Q I've ever had. The line is around the block almost every day but it's well worth it.

Was just there this past weekend. Their BBQ sauce is amazing. Thin vinegar style but spicy and sweet at the same time. So good. Could have had better side options IMO but was **** good BBQ.

OK, I just texted with my brother, apparently there is going to be an EggFest in November at a place in Seminole County called "Wekiva Island". If you get a chance, you should come up for that.

I love love love Wekiva Island, I've been going there since I was young, and my brother's house is a mile or two down the river, so we may take his boat up to the Island for that one.

Hopefully, by that time, the "new" Pig Floyd's Urban Barbakoa will be open on Lee Road in the spot where the original Bubbalou's was. My guy @SWFLHurricane knows about Bubbalou's (definitely dropped off after the old man died), and he may know Pig Floyd's as well, the original brick-and-mortar location is still there on Mills just north of 50.

Speaking of which, @SWFLHurricane have you been to Piggza on Mills yet (opened a few months ago, I took my mom and sister on Mother's Day)? It was supposed to be a joint between Pig Floyd's and Stasio's, but I think Stasio's backed out. It was great, I'm going to have to go back next time I'm back in O-Town.

I’m hitting up Piggza tonight with some friends actually. Pig Floyd’s is awesome.

I’m hitting up Piggza tonight with some friends actually. Pig Floyd’s is awesome.

I had to think back after @SWFLHurricane made his comments about his friend's experience. I had a couple of service/timing hiccups too, it wasn't fatal. I judge the food. Piggza just got a good review from Scott Joseph (Orlando Sentinel) as well.

Let me know how it goes!

Advertisement
Advertisement
I love it. Gates my favorite. I get Gates every Monday. Slab, burnt end, fries and a medium bean
Hello may I help you!?!

Many years since I’ve been to KC.

I also remember smokestack, Rosedale and Arthur Bryant’s. I thought Bryant’s meat was the best but their sauce was some kind of gritty stuff I wasn’t used to.

The white sauce started at Big Bob Gibson's where they put it on chicken wings and half chickens. Every other is copy cat of that and not as good. As far as places like Dreamland and Full Moon they have a vinegar-ketchup-molasses based sauce but thicker and more sweeter than your Carolina based sauces
That’s mayo based. I think I’d hurl.

IMO both beef and pork only require s&p; a dabble of dry rub is acceptable for certain dishes or applications but that's about it. If one can't appreciate the taste of smoked and salted beef and pork, maybe they should be eating tofu or soy burgers.
See, that’s very Eastern Carolina-centric of you. You guys put nothing but peppered vinegar on pulled pork. There’s a whole other world of beef, ketchup and molasses out there. Lol

Advertisement
Back